Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 18:43   #1

2003 Honda 15HP 4-stroke doesn't pee

Does anyone know if this engine should have a water stream when running? I took off the ceiling and don't see any tubes for one.
79rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 00:42   #2

Re: 2003 Honda 15HP 4-stroke doesn't pee

Never met an out board with out a tell tale!! Sounds like you have a blockage some where or bad impeller
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 00:51   #3

Copied from your Manual as below:

7. After starting, be sure water is flowing out of the water check hole.
If water does not flow out, or if steam comes out, stop the engine. check to see
if the screen in the cooling water inlet is obstructed. Do not operate the engine
until the problem has been corrected.
WATER
CHECK
8. If the choke was used, push it in gradually as the engine warms up.
9. Before leaving the dock, check the operation of the emergency stop switch

Holding the throttle the water pee is on your left side on the engine casing (lower), The tubes quite often get blocked with debris/salt,

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rotorhead.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:49   #5

What does happen sometimes is the impeller gets old & breaks up into small pieces..then someone notices that it is not peeing much & replaces the impeller not looking for the missing pieces of the impeller & alot of the time they are not a problem, but sometimes they can get into a place that can block water flow to certain areas & be trouble. I had one that the chunk would block right at the exit & had to remove the drain & part that went into the engine to allow it to pass out,sometimes they need to be disassembled to clear the passages, but first be sure a mud dauber or salt is not plugged in it!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:49   #6

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

First and easiest thing is to stick a straightened out paperclip in the pee hole. Salt often builds up and blocks it. If that doesn't work then probably an impeller issue. Thats a bit more work but still in the DIY tange.

Don't want to run it without water circulation.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:05   #7

Once you do get it running again be sure to run FRESH water through the cooling system before any (lengthy) period of non-use, ie over a couple of weeks,,especially in a hot climate otherwise the salt water remaining in the internal water channels will block up with salt for sure. Run engine in barrel of fresh water or buy a proper fresh water flushing devise. Running it "dry" will quickly mess up the head gasket, or worse!!
const0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:07   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

you did not give much info other than no water coming out when engine running, how long have you owned the engine, when was the last time the impeller was replaced, do you flush the engine.
however I agree with other post most likely the impeller, also suggest flushing the engine also
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:57   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I had one brand new circa 03. As I recall. the tell tail waits on the thermostat to open.
A sweet engine. Just a thought since yours is not new.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:57   #10

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I had one brand new circa 03. As I recall. the tell tail waits on the thermostat to open.
A sweet engine. Just a thought since yours is not new.
I've had 2 Hondas & I'm pretty sure the pee stream should start immediately. If you had to wait for a thermostat to open you could already have damaged the motor or impellor if it wasn't pumping. The first thing you always do after starting an outboard is check for the stream unless it's a Honda 2 hp.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
you did not give much info other than no water coming out when engine running, how long have you owned the engine, when was the last time the impeller was replaced, do you flush the engine.
however I agree with other post most likely the impeller, also suggest flushing the engine also
The tender with engine came with an Island Packet i recently purchased. The first time I ran it, it died on me. Had water in the fuel tank. Changed out the fuel and ran great, but noticed no stream. Changed the impeller, even though it looked fine, but did find pieces of an older impeller in the screen area. With all the cowlings off, i could not find a port that would produce a stream. There are two fittings in the stbd side of the cowling, but nothing hooked up to them from the engine. I am confused.
79rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:35   #12

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

I had that happen on a Suzuki 50. Didn't let it run more than a few seconds to avoid impeller damage. Cleaned the pee hole. Still no stream...

Pulled the lower unit and replaced the impeller and plate - but the old one looked pretty good. Reassembled, started.

Still no pee.

I had the earmuffs on the motor using the hose, and placed my hand on the additional intakes near the anti-cavitation plate.

The water stream started.

Gotta have enough water ...
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 14:43   #13

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
First and easiest thing is to stick a straightened out paperclip in the pee hole. Salt often builds up and blocks it. If that doesn't work then probably an impeller issue. Thats a bit more work but still in the DIY tange.

Don't want to run it without water circulation.

Bill
Or mud dodgers often can get up into there. If there is a water exhaust tube visible, try sucking on it to get things flowing. There is no pride in boating sometimes.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 15:01   #14

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bucknut View Post
Or mud dodgers often can get up into there. If there is a water exhaust tube visible, try sucking on it to get things flowing. There is no pride in boating sometimes.
If you actually do this please post it to YouTube. I need a good laugh!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 15:19   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I've had 2 Hondas & I'm pretty sure the pee stream should start immediately. If you had to wait for a thermostat to open you could already have damaged the motor or impellor if it wasn't pumping. The first thing you always do after starting an outboard is check for the stream unless it's a Honda 2 hp.
That was just a recollection. A motor out of the box and it scared the hell out of me at first being accustomed to seeing a tell tale immediately. A sweet engine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda