Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-02-2008, 17:12   #16

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 (missing my catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
A 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha suitable for powering a 10 ft. RIB in a cruising situation weighs 79 lbs.
The 4 stroke 15hp honda is 108 lbs. ...one is barely manageable...the other is not.
One can be fixed anywhere...many times by a modestly handy owner...the other cannot.

One pollutes a lot...the other pollutes a little bit.
Cruisers need a reliable, repairable, lightweight, pollution minimal choice in the 10-15hp range. Maybe someone will invent one. For cruising in the US there is no longer any choice.
I totally agree. The advantage of the lighter weight 2 stroke 15 hp Yamaha verse the 4 stroke model was enough for me to purchase the 2 stroke. The extra weight hanging from my davits as well as handling the engine when mounting was enough for me to go the 2 stroke route. 100:1 oil mix is a lot better than the 50:1. I also have a 2 stroke 4 hp Yamaha as well. Both are super reliable engines.

SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 17:32   #17

Lake Tahoe Uses E-Tec on their Marine resource boats its all about the new CARB ratings and E-tec gets as good as they are giving right now .
This From a Merc 4 stroke guy

Divecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 18:50   #18

Boat: Freedom 40
Re: 2 strokes illegal???

My dingy's 8 hp Honda cracked the block this last season, so I am considering buying a Yamaha 9.9 hp 2 stroke and altering the carburetor to get 15 hp out of it. A friend in Canada did this and has great performance with 4 in his 10 foot dingy. I've had endless agony with ethanol jamming the tiny jets in my Honda and have heard that 2 strokes don't have this problem. I can get a 2 stroke, but can I get the registration sticker for it from the state dept. of environmental whatever? Cruising New England for 22 years. LBMeans
lbmeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 19:09   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

A zombie thread...
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 20:39   #20
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
A zombie thread...
must be record 8 year zombies.
Old 09-01-2018, 20:43   #21

Boat: Kaufman 47

Don't poke fun, everyone always says to do the search function... It has been executed well here.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 22:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
must be record 8 year zombies.
Try a month short of 10yrs.

But as mentioned, at least he did a search first.

To the recent poster: Unfortunately I can't help with Canada but in the USA, once you get the outboard, no one is watching. There are stickers for the boa but not the outboard and existing 2 strokes are legal with rare exceptions on certain small lakes.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 22:52   #23
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Try a month short of 10yrs.

But as mentioned, at least he did a search first.

To the recent poster: Unfortunately I can't help with Canada but in the USA, once you get the outboard, no one is watching. There are stickers for the boa but not the outboard and existing 2 strokes are legal with rare exceptions on certain small lakes.
I stand corrected
Needed coffee was still asleep.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:33   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, LBMeans.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:35   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmeans View Post
My dingy's 8 hp Honda cracked the block this last season, so I am considering buying a Yamaha 9.9 hp 2 stroke and altering the carburetor to get 15 hp out of it. A friend in Canada did this and has great performance with 4 in his 10 foot dingy. I've had endless agony with ethanol jamming the tiny jets in my Honda and have heard that 2 strokes don't have this problem. I can get a 2 stroke, but can I get the registration sticker for it from the state dept. of environmental whatever? Cruising New England for 22 years. LBMeans
If you can get a 2 stroke, you can use it in the US. You can't buy a new 2 stroke from a dealer in the US because they are no longer sold in the US for environmental reasons. But if you buy a used one or somehow end up with one in the US, they are "grandfathered" in.

That said, 2 strokes are not immune to carburetor clogging with ethanol. If you run the motor a lot you'll be OK, but it sits for any period of time, even if you run it dry, you risk having issues. Putting Stabil or a similar product that helps keep water from separating out in the fuel will help but will not eliminate the problem. When possible, use ethanol free fuel which can be more or less difficult to find depending one what state you're in and even vendor to vendor.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:48   #26

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I've had endless agony with ethanol jamming the tiny jets in my Honda and have heard that 2 strokes don't have this problem.
I predict you're not going to have any less agony with 2-strokes. My experience with outboards, weed whackers, chain saws, 4-wheelers, motorcycles and other various 2-cycle engines I've had over the years is that there are more carburetor problems with these than any 4-stroke I've ever owned.

The problem isn't the ethanol, directly. It's that the ethanol "cleans" the sides of the tank. Putting all that crud in suspension clogs the carb. Any motor that's only run with fresh fuel and properly stored off-season is unlikely to have this problem, 2- or 4-stroke. That's easy to say, but hard to do.

Messing with the carburetor to get that much more HP sounds like a very bad idea. Carburetor tuning, in my experience, is a little like voodoo. Sure there are folks who are good at it. I suspect most aren't. I'm not. If you're already having trouble keeping the carb clean, you're probably not either.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:06   #27
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 2 strokes illegal???

Two strokes are illegal on inland waterways in Europe.. have had my 8hp Suzuki for sale for years and can't shift it.. as soon as they find its a 2stroke its a no no.. but then ports in Portugal are in rivers.. and engines have to be registered.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:31   #28

Boat: Freedom 40

Thanks to all who responded to my queries. It might have looked like a zombie thread, due to lack of information in my new account, like where and what boat, but I've remedied some of that. I know zombies fairly well and would like to say that I don't think I'm one.
The comments from long experience on 2 strokes are much appreciated. My impression about them comes largely from two boating friends who say they run with much less impact from ethanol. I know that's personal opinion, not scientific fact, so I'm on a learning curve, hopefully. I did take an informal outboard carburetor lesson from a retired outboard mechanic from Georgia; tied up in St. Augustine, he showed me how to take out and clean the mineral deposits which he said were carried in the water that adheres to the alcohol in ethanol and had crapped up the bowl and the idle jet. When I did this my engine began to idle and run much better, really like new.... for a while, then lousy running and repeate the cleaning proceedure. This is how I limped along for years with my Honda 8 hp. With more input from a marine Honda dealer's mechanic I learned to use only new, clean gas, ethanol-free when I could get it. This helped, too, but I wound up buying a new carburetor every other year, as the inner jets cannot be reached without a bench ultrasonic cleaner, which I don't have....So I have learned to limp along on my own repair skills, but with the cracking of my engine, I am trying to see if I can do better and the 2 stroke came up.
The carburetor adjustment I was referring to is one that Yamaha itself does, in other countries, not the US, due to environmental regulations here. The difference between a 9.9 hp outboard and a 15 hp, both Yamaha- is just different carburetors, about $150 difference. So, here I was hoping to get a zippier dingy ride with 4 people in it. It's not about me fiddling with the carburetor, just changing it out.
Way tmi, but I looked up registration of boats in New York and outboard motor type appears not to matter on the application. Thanks again, LBMeans, Shrink and Captain
lbmeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47   #29
rbk

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded to my queries. It might have looked like a zombie thread, due to lack of information in my new account, like where and what boat, but I've remedied some of that. I know zombies fairly well and would like to say that I don't think I'm one.
The comments from long experience on 2 strokes are much appreciated. My impression about them comes largely from two boating friends who say they run with much less impact from ethanol. I know that's personal opinion, not scientific fact, so I'm on a learning curve, hopefully. I did take an informal outboard carburetor lesson from a retired outboard mechanic from Georgia; tied up in St. Augustine, he showed me how to take out and clean the mineral deposits which he said were carried in the water that adheres to the alcohol in ethanol and had crapped up the bowl and the idle jet. When I did this my engine began to idle and run much better, really like new.... for a while, then lousy running and repeate the cleaning proceedure. This is how I limped along for years with my Honda 8 hp. With more input from a marine Honda dealer's mechanic I learned to use only new, clean gas, ethanol-free when I could get it. This helped, too, but I wound up buying a new carburetor every other year, as the inner jets cannot be reached without a bench ultrasonic cleaner, which I don't have....So I have learned to limp along on my own repair skills, but with the cracking of my engine, I am trying to see if I can do better and the 2 stroke came up.
The carburetor adjustment I was referring to is one that Yamaha itself does, in other countries, not the US, due to environmental regulations here. The difference between a 9.9 hp outboard and a 15 hp, both Yamaha- is just different carburetors, about $150 difference. So, here I was hoping to get a zippier dingy ride with 4 people in it. It's not about me fiddling with the carburetor, just changing it out.
Way tmi, but I looked up registration of boats in New York and outboard motor type appears not to matter on the application. Thanks again, LBMeans, Shrink and Captain
Sounds like you have this all sorted out. I'll just add to the power to weight ratio of 2S vs 4S but also the power curve; 2S will get you out of the hole faster with faster throttle response at all points, but most will not notice the difference below 10hp.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
There are NO restrictions anywhere in the USA on 2 stroke engines use OR production.
What there are restrictions on is POLLUTION and you can't use MOST 2 strokes in certain restricted areas because of this AND mfr.'s cannot make old fashioned 2 strokes because they do not meed the new emissions standards. They CAN make new technology (direct injection etc.) 2-strokes which DO meet the pollution standards and which CAN be used anywhere.
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Media....6.02.16_02.htm

Unfortunately... I don't think there are any dinghy type motors being produced with this type of technology as the cost complexity restricts use to larger outboards.
I recently purchased a 3hp Yamaha 2 stroke and the salesman informed me that it was probably the last carburetor fitted model two stroke I would be able to purchase as fuel injected models were being mandated in Australia?

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: