Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 10:47   #1

2 Stroke Dingy Outboard

Anyone have any advice on how to get a new 2 stroke 9.8 Tohatsu into USA? Put as kicker on boat sail from Bahamas yes, probably easy. But if you order online, if one separates the powerhead in caribbean, deletes 2 stroke designation, mails the powerhead separately and labels as "remanufactured motor parts for personal use" would this fly? Anyone who knows this or might shed light on if it gets through customs this way? Do they open and check? Seems to me this would theoretically be ok? How does customs work in general, how petty restrictive? Are some countries less scrutinized than others? Let's say Puerto Rico, vs St. Thomas vs Saint Marten? Any Brainiacs out there on these subjects?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 2 Stroke Dingy Outboard

You can import anything until you get caught.
I have heard of "parts" working, and I have heard of people getting an empty box delivered.
I'd look for a used one myself, and look at the new four strokes, many are awfully nice and not much if any heavier.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:47   #3

Thank you for your answer. It is going to take several people answering this to put the puzzle together. Used would be fine, but am looking for a specific motor... Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke.

Maybe can find someone sailing from BVI to mainland too who can hook it on as a kicker to get them her and then we pay them for the transport. What is intellectually interesting however is if the new motor is purchased in St. Marten or Tortolla or any non US region if breaking the outboard apart and shipping separately will fly as long as designated as "remanufactured parts" No doubt someone reading this is an expert on the game! Or maybe someone is reading this and is traveling to USA and wants to hook it on their sail boat until they get here and get paid for transport. Once it is used, it is used and the situation become much easier. Anyone who can add to this thought....let's hear from you! Gotta love the EPA... they allow dumping of raw sewage down the Anacostia Potomac during high rain but worry about exhaust from a tiny outboard.... no wonder they are being attacked. How much crap does one jet drop that flys over your house each day? Ridiculous....
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49   #4

Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke weighs in at 56 pounds.... 4 strokes are at least 85... that is the problem. Who wants to carry that pig around.
Old 02-05-2017, 13:15   #5

You cannot legally import a 2 stroke into the US. You are asking the collective membership how to circumvent the law.

This is against site policy.
Old 02-05-2017, 13:17   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

They are also banned in Puerto Rico and USVI.

You might be able to get one in BVI but it will be insanely expensive..

They are readily available in St. Martin but still overpriced.

Personally I love my Tohatsu 4 stroke.. Yup it weighs more, but its worth it. Its so quiet most people can't even tell when its running. It uses so little gas that we can get a month on a single 4 gallon tank. I don't carry or worry about oil (which is really expensive down here).

Anyway.. good luck..
Old 02-05-2017, 13:19   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I have one I'm not using, but I won't give it up unless someone offers me a ridiculous amount for it. I've owned boats since 1980 and it's the best dinghy motor I ever used. It's smooth as silk, quiet, and as you noted it has the best power-weight ratio of any other OB.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-05-2017, 13:23   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
They are also banned in Puerto Rico and USVI.

You might be able to get one in BVI but it will be insanely expensive..

They are readily available in St. Martin but still overpriced.

Personally I love my Tohatsu 4 stroke.. Yup it weighs more, but its worth it. Its so quiet most people can't even tell when its running. It uses so little gas that we can get a month on a single 4 gallon tank. I don't carry or worry about oil (which is really expensive down here).

Anyway.. good luck..
My 9.8 two-stroke is as smooth, and quieter than both of the new(er) Yamaha 4-strokes I've owned (a Yamaha 9.8 and a 20)
Old 02-05-2017, 13:39   #9

Yep, magic little engines, can fully understand the OP wanting one.

John McEnroe
Old 03-05-2017, 08:05   #10

Boat: Boatless

Bahamas purchase from Lightbourne Marine (Nassau). 8hp Yamaha Endro about 2k.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
Old 03-05-2017, 08:08   #11

Boat: Island Packet 420

You might want to give up on importing and buy a used one here. In Annapolis, there is an outfit that sometimes has some used 2-strokes for sale and is an honest marine dealer---http://www.annapolisinflatables.net. I see on his website that he has 2 2-stroke outboards for sale, but the smallest is a 15 hp. I would suggest you call them and tell them what you are looking for, he might just happen upon one for you since he takes them in trade. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:20   #12

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

I got my 8hp 2-stroke 'hatsu on ebay a few years ago. Freshwater in near perfect condition for $400. I looked for a few months, but they're out there!
Old 03-05-2017, 09:26   #13

Boat: Tartan 37

I'm following this tread with interest. I have a 1996 8hp Nissan with a 9.8 carb, saltwater is starting to take it's toll and looking to replace with a newer 9.8hp, 2cyl, Tohatsu/Nissan. Been searching allcraigslist and ebay with little luck. Moorings uses the motor in Abacos but won't sell new or used. Mexico has dealers that sells new ones, but how do you get it here (Va)? In the Carib there are a few dealers. Budget Marine has some great prices down south. The 9.8hp do have the best power to weight ratio by a good margin. I'm also looking for new or used.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:21   #14

Boat: Hunter 456 -46

I bought an 8 HP 2 stroke Yamaha used for $900.00 runs great low hours. You just have to look around.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:47   #15

We have a used Yamaha 8hp we are not using, but you were looking for another brand.

I really wanted a 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha and was doing the same thing as you (there has to be a place I can get a 2 stroke), even tried Canada figuring I could drive there, but they stopped 2 strokes as well. Searched CL in the great lakes area, nada. Wish you the best of luck finding one.
Closed Thread

Tags
2 stroke, outboard