Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 03:43   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: 10 foot fiberglass tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
You won't find the foam will give you any more flotation in the stern than you already have. If there is no water in the stern seat then it is providing as much flotation as it can possibly have.
+1

Having now seen the photos it is easy to see what the fundamental "problem" is. She simply does not have much freeboard to start with. Another few inches would make all the difference (as the Actress said to the Bishop ).

Personally I would be happy onboard her in very sheltered waters (on a lake or accross a harbour - basically anything with shore in swimming distance) - anything more? Well, that an each to their own thing (and perhaps also depending on how well they can swim?!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 04:07   #17

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Hello,

It will mainly be used in the marina and the typhoon shelter area for short trips to the jetty for supplies, as well as neighborly visits to other moorings in the typhoon shelter !!!

Since it is on the hard stand the next few days, my mate thought it would be good to use the honeycomb panels and fiberglass to make a deck between the benched that will be above the waterline (when sitting empty) and have a plugs I can remove to allow any rainwater to evacuate on its own when floating alone behind the main vessel at the mooring.

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 08:53   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Another idea is to permanently mount on clips of some description a short bilge pump.

You can glass in a couple of small (3 x 3 cm) hardwood blocks, and then mount the clips or straps to that with coarse-threaded screws. A few strokes before you get into the tender and your feet stay dry. A sponge finishes it off.

It's not absolutely necessary, but a "quality of life" aspect of using the dink is keeping your feet dry. This helps. Either that, or bag your shoreside shoes in a sealable sack, and stay barefoot and bail at your leisure.

The plugs are still a good idea for when the tender is on deck or on stands just to avoid standing water, algae staining and rot. Just make them very snugly fitting!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:09   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Have to bear in mind that anything which forces the cargo (including you!) higher does affect stability.

Personally I would not spend too much time and effort (or cash) on this dink and use it primarily as learning tool for what you want from the next one (a few more inches of freeboard for starters ) - But puzzling stuff out and coming up with novel approaches is all part of the fun .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:36   #20

Boat: csy 37

nice looking dink! what are the dimensions and how much does it weigh?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:36   #21

You dont need a 6 gal tank for a 4hp engine. Get a 3 gal tank and mount it forward. Limited freeboard is an issue with many hard dinks. Not alot you can do unless you want to add floatation tubes....

Have to bear in mind that anything which forces the cargo (including you!) higher does affect stability.

Personally I would not spend too much time and effort (or cash) on this dink and use it primarily as
learning tool for what you want from the next one (a few more inches of freeboard for starters ) - But puzzling stuff out and coming up with novel approaches is all part of the fun

well said!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 10:36   #22

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post
Hello,

Overall it is a good little unit that just needs some TLC !

Alan
Looks like its about the size of my walker bay. The manual for that said to keep the motor size at two hp.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 11:54   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Good looking dinghy!

The drain plug is a very good idea. Another idea is to put a screw in cap on the top of your stern seat and on your bow seat so you can check to make certain there is no water in those compartments. If there is wet foam in there just dig it out. Wet foam doesn't float very well. Just air in those compartments will keep you afloat.

4hp on a ten footer is ok if its a 2 cycle.

kind regards,
Old 17-09-2012, 15:44   #24

Hello,

I will check to see if the foam is wet today !

I have all the Fiberglas materials left over from replacing the wood decks of the Four Winns speed boat last summer, so for this project we are only using my time for what I enjoy SMILE !!

The flat decks is more for elimination of any standing water...

I have a 4hp Tohatsu 2 stroke that I just rebuilt from top to bottom !

In this area I am unable to find a 10 liter petrol tank that is on the store shelf. I could buy one online but with the shipping it comes out to be the same as the 25 liter.

Thanks for the excellent feedback ! Today the decks will be installed !!! I'll leave a few pictures !!

Alan
Old 17-09-2012, 16:59   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Remember that the more glass you add increases the weight and gives you less freeboard so be cautious.
kind regards,
Old 17-09-2012, 20:03   #26

Hello,

YES, You are absolutely correct... perhaps I should test by adding some weight I think the fiberglass will add, and zip around the marina a bit to see how it sits before I jump in with permenantly adding the additional weight !

Alan
Old 18-09-2012, 09:18   #27

If the tank is lightweight plastic, just fill it half full .... or less!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 09:46   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

You could glass in a well below the outboard mount screws. Then put splash guards on top of the transom like a back trolling boat for walleye.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 23:26   #29

Hello,

Amazing how a coat of paint can drastically change the appearance !

BUT... they do not give away the "International" brand Epoxy paints for fiberglass boats... HaHaHa

Nearly $100 USD for a liter of "International" brand Anti-fouling here !!

I did drill a 2 inch hole in the bottom centre of the stern bench seat and dig out quite a bit of wet foam, and then sprayed in 2 cans of the expanding foam the next day (let it dry out overnight), then covered the hole with fresh fiberglass !!! We shall see if there is an improvement !!!

Old 19-09-2012, 00:09   #30

Ii dont want to sound negative but if the foam was wet, how did it get wet and what will stop it getting wet again?????