Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 10:48   #1

Boat: Custom 24, San Juan 34
Zipper Question on New Dodger?

Hi All,
After 30 years of racing, I'm going cruising! In anticipation, last fall I ordered cushions and a dodger from a well respected local company for our "new to us" boat. The dodger is installed and looks great, except that the zippers don't actually close to the very end. Is this normal in a new dodger? Does it just need to stretch out? I used to be a sailmaker, but have never worked with Sunbrella.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 11:09   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
In my experience (and I have ordered 3 new dodgers over the years ) the zippers should close all the way when new.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 12:32   #3

Thanks Brad. That's what I was afraid to hear. Do you think this is just a cosmetic defect, or is the dodger likely to spontaneously unzip? There isn't pressure on a dodger as on a sail, right?
Old 17-03-2010, 12:47   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Comming from experence, as we own a canvas shop, sunbrella does not stretch, it shrinks.. the zippers should close to the stop.. if not, give them a couple months out in the sun and it will be hard to start the zipper..
sometimes you can cut the stitching and re stitch giving it a little more room but if it dosent fit right when new, it will only get worse.......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 13:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Comming from experence, as we own a canvas shop, sunbrella does not stretch, it shrinks.. the zippers should close to the stop.. if not, give them a couple months out in the sun and it will be hard to start the zipper..
sometimes you can cut the stitching and re stitch giving it a little more room but if it dosent fit right when new, it will only get worse.......
Rats, I'll have address it with the canvas maker then. I'm probably grasping at straws, but there is elkhide along the grabrail near the zipper-any chance that it shrank and might stretch now that it's drying out?

As a businessman, how would you address this?
Old 17-03-2010, 14:47   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
Intrepid -
Back when I was in the canvas biz, for this complaint I would go to your boat to inspect the problem in situ. I would then either tell you that the gap is of a normal small size to be expected (canvas ain't steel), or I would fix it, no charge.
Old 18-03-2010, 05:38   #7

Thanks for the responses!
Old 18-03-2010, 07:51   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
Rats, I'll have address it with the canvas maker then. I'm probably grasping at straws, but there is elkhide along the grabrail near the zipper-any chance that it shrank and might stretch now that it's drying out?

I've often tell people that come into the shop with a problem getting the canvas to fit after having it packed away.. soak it down with water and it will relieve the canvas but once it drys out, it will shrink back up..
I wouldnt tell you that is a fix for your dodger as it might help and it might not, it your call..
You might try zipping it up early in the morning after the dew has set on it all night..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 11:12   #9

Brand new!

It has never been packed away, it's brand new! It poured rain for the first few days after installation. It was still soaking wet when I first saw it and I tried getting it to zip all the way. It looks terrific except for these zipper gaps. And the gelcoat chip in the galley from where the snap fastener was installed, that I just noticed. Sigh.

Tags
dodger