Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 16:12   #16

Re: wrench area above turnbuckle is rounded off, what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Chinese made tools cause more problems than they're worth. Can you believe Chinese can't make a hammer that can drive in a nail into a piece of wood. I kid you not. First thing is to get rid every Chinese made tool you own. They're worth less than nothing. Then go and spend real money on quality tools made in America , Germany , Sweden , Canada. The quality of your tools will either make or break the job at hand.
Take Note of above and dont use adjustable wrench, get the right size tube spanner for the job . I see people using crescent /shifting spanners on all kinds of things. They were generally developed for Plumbers etc who need wide jaws.
Pick up a US/German/swedish/Canadian spanner ,then pick up a Chinese spanner. Compare it to you favourite fishing rod /base ball/ bat/ shot gun/ golf club.If you dont want to spend the $s on new good spanners ,go to a few markets you will find guys selling sets of really great "old" but hardly used spanners, they are really great tools and you will have them for life.
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 16:25   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Remove fitting

Take to Welding works
Have shank built-up using best quality stainless welding rod.
Tell them to grind back to shape (make it a bit oversize)
That should get a bit more time from it.
With respect, I think this is very bad advice. The thermal distortion to the swage barrel that would accompany the welding will compromise its ability to grip the wire. A catastrophic failure is one likely result.

Jim
Old 20-05-2016, 16:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With respect, I think this is very bad advice. The thermal distortion to the swage barrel that would accompany the welding will compromise its ability to grip the wire. A catastrophic failure is one likely result.

Jim
You're right there! And it will be more expensive than getting a new fitting put on!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 16:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
Take Note of above and dont use adjustable wrench, get the right size tube spanner for the job . I see people using crescent /shifting spanners on all kinds of things. They were generally developed for Plumbers etc who need wide jaws.
Pick up a US/German/swedish/Canadian spanner ,then pick up a Chinese spanner. Compare it to you favourite fishing rod /base ball/ bat/ shot gun/ golf club.If you dont want to spend the $s on new good spanners ,go to a few markets you will find guys selling sets of really great "old" but hardly used spanners, they are really great tools and you will have them for life.
Yeah, and throw that damn lousy Chinese cell phone away too... and about half the parts on your car... and..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 21:30   #20

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Ok--we are I think talking about different parts of the set-up.

Clean up the thread after unscrewing the bottle, with a die nut of the same thread.

Screw a stainless steel nut of the same thread all the way up the threaded part of the swaged ferule.

Warm the nut (square if you can find one) it with a propane torch and float silver solder alloy into the thread of the nut . A Loose fit is not a problem and is probably a little better than a tight one. Try Thermadyne resin-cored silver solder. This will not have enough heat to disturb the crimp---and there are even lower temperature alloys available which will bond to stainless steel..

Propane from a yellow-bottle Bernzomatic propane torch is hot enough. Just use enough heat to allow some silver solder to run into the thread.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 00:12   #21

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Wrench Area Above Turnbuckle Is Rounded Off, What To Do?

Add 100$ of tools and machinery, per each and every foot of your boat.

If GB pounds, better so.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 03:42   #22

My question is why is it so hard to turn that a wrench was able to round it off in the first place.
Yes I use wrenches on mine of course (box end) but we're talking wrist pressure to spin the turnbuckles, not bear down and crank until you've distorted steel pressure.
I'd check the threads could be some damage there causing things to bind.
Even at full rig tension things shouldn't be that hard to turn.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 05:47   #23

The piece of leather under vise grips worked great thanks A64pilot.

The turnbuckles are all fine, it was just one lower stay that was the problem, thanks a lot everyone.
Ebtvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 07:41   #24

When you take your mast down, loosen up only the OTHER side. In spring you only have to adjust the loosened side back to tightness.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 04:45   #25

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Recently fixed this problem on a customer's boat with the long stem StaLoks.

I always smile at the blanket condemnation of anything Chinese-made. A civilization that existed successfully 4000 years before us
Old 24-05-2016, 06:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Chinese made tools cause more problems than they're worth. Can you believe Chinese can't make a hammer that can drive in a nail into a piece of wood. I kid you not. First thing is to get rid every Chinese made tool you own. They're worth less than nothing. Then go and spend real money on quality tools made in America , Germany , Sweden , Canada. The quality of your tools will either make or break the job at hand.
I have to be fair. I did own a $4.00 pocket knife (45 years ago) that kept an edge like no other knife and it was made in China. I give credit where credit is due. I still think that out of 4,000 years + the Chinese didn't spend any time on improving their tool making. Maybe 4,000 years ago they believed in quality but they lost that ability when they started to sell what they make. Never the less I stand by my ruling that tools made in China are not worth the metal that they are made out of , and anyone who thinks otherwise has never used a quality tool.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 21:56   #27

Boat: AMF Force 5 -- 14ft long

When it comes to Vicegrips, only the name brand ones will do. Even Snapon locking pliers are a poor substitute.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jason902 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc