Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2010, 09:26   #1

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Windlass Lead Chocks ?

Has anyone used a chock or verticle rollers to lead line to a horizontal anchor windlass?

I am trying to solve what I see as a problem on the boat I recently prchaesd. There is a S/L 555 "sea tiger" that is mounted tight behind the sampson post so that the chain gypsy lines up with one bow roller and the rope drum is basically useless. The bow rollers are 11 inches on center (the windlass about 7") and there are also two closed chocks that are 25 inches on center from which I would love to have the ability to use mechanical advantage. One possible solution would be to fabricate a mounting box that raised the windlass enough to allow enough drop (perhaps 8 inches) to allow enogh forward travel of a feed pipe to get the chain to the locker. This would allow the windlass to be moved aft and create better angles to the drum from both chocks and the second bow roller however to achieve propper lead to the drum to prevent the line from over running I believe I will need a chock of sorts just in front of the drum, either two verticle robust rollers or fixed pipe. Does anyone use such a chock and is it effective? It seems if they were they would be fitted as an option and seen more often.

Of course the chain gypsy will have to be aligned with one bow roller.

Boat is aluminum and relatively easy to alter/add to with plenty of strength. There is room and hieght for moving the windlass and original designs come with plans for an elivated box with "lunenbug foundry post mounted gypsies" mounted on the outside at the chock width...no bow rollers... but lunenburg no longer makes windlasses or parts and I'm looking for a way to avoid the time in making them myself. (anyone know of a source for a robust simple ratchet gear-the thought of cutting one out isn't that appealing but that's a sepperate subject)

Manually opperated system is desired.

A verticle capstan could solve the majority of the lead angle problem but again, strong manual versions don't appear to be available and are more dificult to use shorthanded than horizontal.

A second "sea tiger" could be employed but starts to take up real estate.

Rigging a snachblock could also work but would be less convenient for more regular use like setting two anchors.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote