Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 20:05   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Windex Replacement

Added to the large list of jobs, the windex tail failed on Relax Lah! in the last couple of weeks.

I don't have a clue what brand is up there now and no good idea of how it is mounted.

Of course when researcing replacements I come up with Davis and Nautos as two low cost options. Of course I have choices of 10", 12", 15" and 18"

So for a 26 foot boat I am thinking 18" is too big and maybe 10" is too small.

So anyone have a recommendation?

Part II

I have no idea how the current one is mounted. I had someone up the mast a couple of years ago who took some pictures but unfortunately we did not get a shot of the mount.

Davis has a "universal j mount" and the Nautos looks like it has a single stud mount that comes with a bracket for mounting on the mast.

I would also hate to go up the mast twice. I will be on the hard and have zero chance of landing in the water if I fall - LOL...

Any thoughts?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 22:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Windex Replacement

With a 26' boat removing the mast can't be that hard or expensive?

Defender has the TackTick T033 on special. As a serious racer it has to be worth considering.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 22:13   #3

I have a tacktick that's been great. Thing works like a charm and holds a charge forever. I kept it in a drawer all winter then pulled it out, full charge. Most solar/battery stuff I see doesn't have anything like that capacity and charge speed (maybe an hour, tops to full charge?).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 22:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
With a 26' boat removing the mast can't be that hard or expensive?

Defender has the TackTick T033 on special. As a serious racer it has to be worth considering.
$38 vs. $650 - Oh were it so...

The mast pull is considered but there is a lot to do this year and the boat bucks won't stretch that far.

The "bigger" guys get pulled out by crane here and go in together for the the rental.

Next haulout I can get organized and synchronized with the crane and do the mast "overhaul" including new standing rigging, main Halyard (a wire rope combo I'd love to ditch), wiring, LED light etc.

I had a shot at a used Raymarine wind indicator a few months back which had synergy with my other ST60 gear but even with my "love" for racing a $4-600 piece of kit is an extravagance for a boat with a PY96 - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 00:45   #5

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

$1 for a piece of wool on each shroud seems to work OK. If you are too short of cash, look for some cassette tape from the 80s. It actually works better than wool and is cheaper if you can find it.
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:19   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
$1 for a piece of wool on each shroud seems to work OK. If you are too short of cash, look for some cassette tape from the 80s. It actually works better than wool and is cheaper if you can find it.
Our wind speed and direction hasn't worked since we got hit by lightning north of Chub Cay a couple months ago. Lost the VHF antenna and radar, too. So far, I haven't been rushing to replace any of it. I did replace the VHF but with a clamp on antenna down on a railing on the cabin roof.

My thinking is starting to fall in line with yours. We're not competing for the America's Cup. Do I really care if I know to the fraction of a degree what the relative wind direction is, or the velocity to within a few tenths of a knot ? Not really.

I didn't realize that the replacement sensors at the top of the mast were so expensive. I got a whole bunch of cassette tapes.

And this is looking like one more set of troublesome electronics I can take off the boat without affecting anything at all , other than to simplify the electrical circuits, lower costs, and reduce future lightning damage potential. I clicked on this thread because I've been putting off climbing up there to fix the thing. But I like this approach better. I can look up at it and see which way it's pointing.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:07   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Consider the possibility of mounting a wireless web-cam on a gin-pole and hoisting it to your masthead to do your inspection. If you add a cross-arm near the bottom on the pole (like an inverted crucifix)--say 2' long--you can add down-haul lines on the ends of the cross-arm to manipulate the direction and angle of the pole. A wireless web-cam can be had for less than $50 USD and will have other applications once you've inspected the mast-head.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote