Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 15:26   #1

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Winch rite

Time to purchase a portable deck hand. Anyone using the winch rite and are they worth the $900. Thanks Geoff
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 16:10   #2

Boat: valiant 40
Re: Winch rite

Hi there are a few companies that have 90 º drills with plenty of power and there is a winch fitting available, I believe that they are cheaper and better plus can be used for other things
Cheers
Old 16-03-2015, 16:33   #3

Boat: Sabre 426

On a Beneteau 411 we had a winch rite but we found that it tended to run down its battery relatively quickly and it was also difficult to hold while managing the genoa line. In theory it was a good idea but in practice we were disappointed. In my opinion, it does not effectively substitute for proper power winch installations.
Old 16-03-2015, 16:56   #4
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat

Been using a millwaukee right angle drill with a m28 lithium battery for 6 years. Original battery was bad design and would trip an internal breaker shutting the drill down. With the newer style battery it works well using a winch bit. The bits are a bit brittle and have broken one so I keep a spare.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 20:06   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Winch rite

I'm happy with my WinchRite. And the company is very responsive if you have a problem.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 20:22   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another vote for the Milwaukee right angle drill, 28 V. Cheaper, more powerful, better battery cycle, multi purpose.

What's not to like? Well, it doesn't look yacht-like...

Jim (on Ann's computer)
Old 16-03-2015, 20:52   #7

Boat: Caliber 40

A friend uses a Milwaukee right angle drill, 28 V on his charter boats. He does about 10 trips a week between the two boats. He raises the main everyday with the drill. He uses the same drill on both his 33' catamarans and he can hoist the main about six-times without a recharge. But, he does try to recharge the battery every night and he carries a 2nd battery that is always charged.

He has been using the same drill for three years which works out to about 1,500 operations and has never had a single problem.

He has borrowed a Winch Rite from the dealer and has used it about 10-times on the same boats. It also works very well but he sees no advantage to paying three times as much money as he spent on the drill.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 21:12   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Time to purchase a portable deck hand. Anyone using the winch rite and are they worth the $900. Thanks Geoff
Jacana, you might try a Google Custom Search (on the CF Search menu); somebody had some kind of winching tool catch fire and reported it, but I'm not sure the name of it.

Ann
Old 17-03-2015, 03:12   #9

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Thanks for the info,I will look at going down the drill and attachment path.(pssst Jim/Ann are you in Spring Bay in Tassie?)
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 03:18   #10

Boat: Oyster 66

I needed something like this with high torque mainly to electrify my davit operation. I ended up buying a regular pistol grip drill from Makita with a winch bit. I got the brushless lithium 18v model (the high torque version). It has the same torque as a Milwaukee, which I also considered, but the Makita is a better shape for drill use and so has more utility. It has enough power to hoist my very heavy genoa all the way to the top and for the davit use is perfect. Cost about $300.

The torque, battery life, speed and controlability of this new drill is a massive improvement over my old drills (I had 6 others 3 on and 3 off the boat until I gave some away recently). It does a better job than even the big corded ones. The unit is not waterproof, but that doesn't worry me for my use. Highly recommended.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 04:16   #11

Boat: Hunter 340

I love the Winchrite. Wouldn't sail without it. Not sure about that price of $900 though. I thought about $600
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 04:28   #12

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I needed something like this with high torque mainly to electrify my davit operation. I ended up buying a regular pistol grip drill from Makita with a winch bit. I got the brushless lithium 18v model (the high torque version). It has the same torque as a Milwaukee, which I also considered, but the Makita is a better shape for drill use and so has more utility. It has enough power to hoist my very heavy genoa all the way to the top and for the davit use is perfect. Cost about $300.

The torque, battery life, speed and controlability of this new drill is a massive improvement over my old drills (I had 6 others 3 on and 3 off the boat until I gave some away recently). It does a better job than even the big corded ones. The unit is not waterproof, but that doesn't worry me for my use. Highly recommended.
I have been considering this option myself can you give me a model on the
Makita please.
Is this the Milwaukee M18 FUEL?
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 06:12   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Jacana, you might try a Google Custom Search (on the CF Search menu); somebody had some kind of winching tool catch fire and reported it, but I'm not sure the name of it.

Ann
I'd say the possibility exists for ANY LIPO battery to catch fire, especially if it has been rough handled.
I have the Milwaukee and love it, but I won't leave the battery charging un-attended, luckily it seems to go from dead to charged in 30 min or so, not sure of the time, but it's very quick.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 06:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Makita please.
Chris
No, this one

M28â„¢ Cordless Lithium-Ion Right Angle Drill Kit | Milwaukee Tool
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 11:11   #15

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Makita please.
Chris
It is the DHP481RMJ. I deliberately didn't put it in my post as they change and tweak the spec and codes all the time and the reference will be out of date in a nanosecond.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch