Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 08:38   #1

Boat: American Mariner 24'
Winch question. Replace one or both?

So after dragging my boat 1600+ miles each way, from Arizona to the Gulf of Mexico, somewhere in west Texas I lost my starboard winch. Both port and starboard were Lewmar 7s. I have found a replacement for less than $100.

However, I have also found a pair of Barlow 16 supposedly self tailing for $150.

Thoughts on changing to the 16s? I am assuming they are a little larger so that means fiberglass work and re-drilling could be a pain. Is It worth it?

Or just keep it simple and drop the 7 back in?
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:43   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Winch question. Replace one or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicalBGP View Post
So after dragging my boat 1600+ miles each way, from Arizona to the Gulf of Mexico, somewhere in west Texas I lost my starboard winch. Both port and starboard were Lewmar 7s. I have found a replacement for less than $100.

However, I have also found a pair of Barlow 16 supposedly self tailing for $150.

Thoughts on changing to the 16s? I am assuming they are a little larger so that means fiberglass work and re-drilling could be a pain. Is It worth it?

Or just keep it simple and drop the 7 back in?
How the heck did your winch come loose? Better check every single bolt on the boat!!

But as to the question at hand, it really depends upon what you want. As long as the 16's will fit, filling the old holes and drilling new ones is not a big deal. Use something like West Systems six10 to fill the old holes, after taping off the back side so that the epoxy stays in the hole. Once the epoxy is cured, you can mark and drill the new holes, bolt in the new winches making sure to put a proper backing plate behind them, and use something like butyl tape to bed them down.

Self tailing winches are very nice, much better than standard winches. As long as they will fit the space where the old winches are, then go for it.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Self tailing winches are nice and larger size usually is a plus. The price is really good but you are dealing with a mfg who is no longer in business so be sure that they are working properly before buying. Believe there is a company in Australia that bought the spare parts stock of Barlow and may still manufacture parts for their winches.

FWIW, bought a pair of Lewmar 16 ST winches for more than double what they are asking for these winches. Lewmar is still around but parts for the older winches can be NLA.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
How the heck did your winch come loose? Better check every single bolt on the boat!!

-David
I ask myself that as well. I stopped at a hotel that night. I did a check to make sure the cabin was locked, the outboard was locked etc..... But I can not remember if it was there or not that night. Next morning I was loading the truck and noticed it was missing. I hate to accuse anyone of stealing it because 1) west Texas 2) if someone was going to steal something there was a lot more valuable stuff in and on the boat. But, I checked the other side, the bolts were tight. Hard to imagine all 5 bolts with lock tight and lock washers coming lose. But, hard to imagine someone in Far west Texas needing one #7 winch.

I'm looking online, both are used but add says good working order. From the pic, the 16s are only about an inch longer. Should fit.
Old 26-09-2017, 13:01   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Are the 2 kinds of winches pretty much equal in power? And is their base size the same? Since if the Barlows have larger bases, they may not fit the mounting area on your boat. Also, since their bolting pattern is different, you'll be drilling new holes for the fasteners. And typically winches are more highly loaded items. So you want to make sure that the area in which you're mounting them can still handle the generated loads, even with the extra holes.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 18:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Are the 2 kinds of winches pretty much equal in power? And is their base size the same? Since if the Barlows have larger bases, they may not fit the mounting area on your boat. Also, since their bolting pattern is different, you'll be drilling new holes for the fasteners. And typically winches are more highly loaded items. So you want to make sure that the area in which you're mounting them can still handle the generated loads, even with the extra holes.
Not sure of power, the 16 are about an inch larger (1/2 inch on each side). But would mount about the same spot. Didn't think about wreaking the area. Think I might go back with the Lewmar 7. Fits in same holes and saves time and work.
Old 26-09-2017, 19:41   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Typically the winch number is the force ratio so the 16 will be twice as powerful as the 7. The self trailer will accept only a limited range of sheet diameters. You may or may not need to replace the sheets. You can likely find the specs on line for those winches.
With the 16 you will have twice the oomph but will need twice the number turns of the handle for the same length of line ground in. You can mitigate this to some extent by buying an 8" handle rather than the standard 10". Smaller faster circles.
All trade offs to consider.
My primary winches are 66s. 50s would do but for cruising fast tacks are not critical. Slower and easier is sometimes the ticket.
Have fun whatever you do.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 19:55   #8

I know that Barient used a goofy numbering system, quite unlike that of most other winch makers, to describe how much they multiplied power input. And Barlows may be the same. So that's worth looking into. As to Lewmar's numbering system on their older stuff, I've no idea. Though there's information on all of them at these websites:
C&C Resource Center
Marine Manuals

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 27-09-2017, 15:10   #9

So, I figured that I will order the 16s and if they don't work or fit, I would just relist them and hopefully not take to much of a loss. Then order the #7 if it's still available. In the end these are all used and total less than $250 for all three. Not too bad as a learning lesson. Thank you for all the help and the links.
Old 01-10-2017, 20:19   #10

Update. Got the 16s in, after cleaning and greasing, installed them today. FYI the 16 has the same bolt pattern as the Lawmar 7. So no fiberglassing and redrilling. Everything fit like a glove. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2017, 20:41   #11

Good deal! Glad it worked out, & thanks for coming back to let us know.

Tags
winch