Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2007, 07:27   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Winch Quality/Price Ratio

The boat we're looking at has Andersen winches. We would like to have two electric winches and Andersen sells conversion kits. However, when pricing them, their winches are easily twice as costly as Harken and Lewmar, such that a new Harken or Lewmar electric winch in the same size are cheaper than the Andersen conversion kit, by itself.

Are the Andersens that much better? If so, why? Or, is this just a function of the soft dollar? While I haven't lived long-term with any of them, in all the boats I've sailed I've used winches from a variety of brands and really couldn't see much difference in them -- they have all seemed functional and durable. If I'm missing something, what?

Thanks.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 07:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For the same money I guess you could buy two Harken's keeping one as a spare.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 11:05   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha ID,
We had a discussion on this subject under search "Lewmar" or "Barient" or "Barlow" I can't remember for certain. Many folks really like their Andersens but they are extremely expensive. I don't know about the electric versions. If you decide to sell your Andersens after replacing them you'll get top dollar for them verses Barient and Barlow which are no longer manufactured. They still make Lewmars but the sizing is smaller than for older model winches. Arco is another winch that owners really like a lot. You might look into them.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 12:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If a new Harken or Lewmar electric winch (in the same size) ais cheaper than the Andersen conversion kit (by itself); I would certainly buy the Electric Lewmar/Harken, and keep the redundant manual Andersen’s for secondary use (what a great Spinnaker or Halyard winch).
The Andersens are great winches (Stainless bodies, rather than Aluminium), but not that great. I’ve never seen a "broken" Lewmar,/Harken,/Barient/Barlow/Arco winch; so any advantage(if any) might lie in performance.
I’ve never been fond of Arco winches,. But maybe that’s just “me”.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 13:13   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Folks, thank you for your feedback. Gord, you have far more time doing this than I, and if you've never seen a broken one, then it doesn't surprise me that I haven't. I've seen ones that needed some maintenance, but that took care of it -- I don't consider that "broken".

Another question, though -- does anyone know of a ready reference/comparison chart of the various winch sizes for the different manufacturers? It is most irritating to believe one is comparing like to like, only to learn you aren't! (Isn't standardization wonderful?)

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 14:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Winch Comparison Chart:
Winch Equivalency Chart

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 19:26   #7

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
Andersen, Lewmar, and Harken have all settled on "low gear power ratio" as the number of the winch, so they can be compared directly. So a #40 = a #40, no matter the brand. Differences in bearing efficiency are rather small. Barients used to use SWL in hundreds of lbs. So a barient 19 had a SWL = 2300 lbs but was really a 35:1 winch
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote