Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 13:00   #1
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33
Winch needed for Pro Furl?

My boat has a small winch for the Pro Furl. I think this is unnecessary as the largest sail I carry is my 135% which just shy of 400 ft/2. I suspect he PO had arthritis in his hands as the halyards are 5/8", 12 braid (PO died several years ago or I would ask him)!

This would explain the winch, but it is mounted on the cabin top under the dodger and the lines path is terrible and creates a tripping hazard. There is not really any fix for the routing and I would much prefer it on the side deck, near the toe rail, to open the deck up for safer walking.
I don't furl the sail when is pulling hard, I bear up or veer off and make it easy.

Am I missing something? I have sailed the boat many months and never felt the need for the winch but thought I would ask here to be sure.
I would just use a fair-lead/cam cleat, with a conventional cleat behind it (for long term use or really cruddy weather).

Thanks as always
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 14:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Winch needed for Pro Furl?

I don't need a winch for ours and I'm getting old and weak. I did switch to a bit larger fuzzy line, it really helps. It's for the genoa and that gets furled all the time cuz of the Solent stay.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 19:13   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

If you need a winch for the roller-furler on anything less than 50’ long, something is probably wrong.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 19:17   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, run it along the toerail and then to a block well aft. You can always arrange it so that you can lead it from there to your spinnaker or other winch anyway, should you feel the need (say, the wind has just picked up strongly and you cannot bear away for some reason).

I'd always have a winch available on a furler, for letting out rather than furling in. If you're in a strong wind and want to let out half the genoa, it's far safer to let it out with a couple of turns around a winch. Otherwise the wind will catch the sail and whoosh you have the whole lot out before you know it, along with parts of your fingers if you're unlucky...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch