Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Winch Maintenance Question...

In an effort to be a bit more environmentally friendly, I'm going to use undiluted Simple Green for cleaning. I've heard it works pretty well. Will post results when I get around to servicing winches.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
In an effort to be a bit more environmentally friendly, I'm going to use undiluted Simple Green for cleaning. I've heard it works pretty well. Will post results when I get around to servicing winches.
We use Simple Green for a LOT of things. However, in this case, you will likely do a whole lot more for the environment if you use just a gallon of paint thinner, then recycle it. Otherwise, you will use a gallon or more of Simple Green, and flush it along with the grease. If you are only doing a couple of winches, you can put it all back in the can for the next time.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:18   #18

Boat: J40

Thank you all,

I just joined the site and got loads of info. One additional hint (from the rigger who would have been doing this work if I hadn't just retired) was that, as my winches are all pairs, do the port side one (of a pair) then use the starboard one to help visualize putting it back together.

Also, I got a gal. can of carburetor cleaner (with a little basket) (from Napa, eh, mistake, I'll use paint thinner next time). This stuff dissolved my latex gloves... ?? any feedback on how poisonous it is???

Well thanks again for all the hints which I followed... (I won't post when I lose something in a drain)...._/)..... Frank
flopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:47   #19

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
I can't see it removing bits of old, salty and hard grease. Certainly it would lift the oil. Anyway, my maintenance schedule starts in March so I'll try it myself.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 17:27   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopresti View Post
do the port side one (of a pair) then use the starboard one to help visualize putting it back together.
ABSOLUTELY, Frank. I've had to go to the other one before. Also, there are lots of exploded diagrams on the net. pyachts has quite a few - but their parts prices are 3X what even WM is.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:34   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopresti View Post
Thank you all,

I just joined the site and got loads of info. One additional hint (from the rigger who would have been doing this work if I hadn't just retired) was that, as my winches are all pairs, do the port side one (of a pair) then use the starboard one to help visualize putting it back together.

Also, I got a gal. can of carburetor cleaner (with a little basket) (from Napa, eh, mistake, I'll use paint thinner next time). This stuff dissolved my latex gloves... ?? any feedback on how poisonous it is???

Well thanks again for all the hints which I followed... (I won't post when I lose something in a drain)...._/)..... Frank
Paint thinner will dissolve latex but not the blue nitrile. Acetone/MEK will dissolve the blue nitrile but not the layex. Carry both.
Old 01-02-2013, 18:52   #22

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Acetone/MEK will dissolve the blue nitrile but not the layex.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

Over many years I have used some diesel to soak the parts in which with a light brush gets rig of most grease and then a small container if white spirits to do a final rinse. The diesel I usually drain from my fuel tank, most fuel tanks have a sump drain so it gets rid of the rubbish at the bottom of our tank and serves a useful purpose.

A few tips, some old oven trays from home make ideal containers to spread all the parts out while they soak and it makes them easy to brush with a soft brush to get rid of the grease. Some old bath mats make a great work cover, cut a circle just larger than the winch in the centre then place them over the winch before you start the pull down saves you boat getting marked, placing all the components into the tray as you go, a roll of paper towel is also handy for final place to rest all cleaned components while you grease, oil and re assemble things. I keep the bath mats, trays etc in an old garbage bag at home in the shed take them to the boat annually.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:01   #24

Boat: Sarabande, sloop 33'
Send a message via Skype™ to jkamer

FYI... once I had my winch drums off, I realized that they looked worn and ugly. Found an automobile rechrome place and had them rechromed. Wow! they looked great and still do after about four years. Also had a powder coating Co. do the self tailing rings in black. Really makes the boat look almost new!
jkamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 15:18   #25

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamer View Post
FYI... once I had my winch drums off, I realized that they looked worn and ugly. Found an automobile rechrome place and had them rechromed. Wow! they looked great and still do after about four years. Also had a powder coating Co. do the self tailing rings in black. Really makes the boat look almost new!
Did you have a textured surface on the drum for grip that you were able to preserve in the re-plateing process?
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 16:12   #26

Boat: Sarabande, sloop 33'
Send a message via Skype™ to jkamer

Amazingly, the textured part of the drum remained textured, it was only slightly less effective and got better with use.. The chrome guys did an excellent job.

Jack
jkamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:58   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamer View Post
Amazingly, the textured part of the drum remained textured, it was only slightly less effective and got better with use.. The chrome guys did an excellent job.

Jack
This can be a serious issue! The PO of our boat had all the winches rechromed, and the bloody chrome shop carefully ground off all the knurling, leaving a beautiful mirror finish on the drum. Slippery as greased owl poop. I've had to use 60 grit sandpaper on a block to generate some vertical texture on the surfaces, and it is an improvement, but not nearly as grippy as they should be. Easy on lines, though!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-02-2013, 08:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This can be a serious issue! The PO of our boat had all the winches rechromed, and the bloody chrome shop carefully ground off all the knurling, leaving a beautiful mirror finish on the drum. Slippery as greased owl poop. I've had to use 60 grit sandpaper on a block to generate some vertical texture on the surfaces, and it is an improvement, but not nearly as grippy as they should be. Easy on lines, though!

Cheers,

Jim
If you know anyone with a sand blaster, you can tape off the upper and lower part of the capstan and sand blast the center section with a reduced air pressure, just enough to brake the sheen. Cabinet type blasters usually have a pressure regulator attached.

Another alternative is paint on nonskid with a two part (hard) paint after a light wet N day sanding, which may need to be repeated but better then nothing.
Old 13-02-2013, 15:16   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If you know anyone with a sand blaster, you can tape off the upper and lower part of the capstan and sand blast the center section with a reduced air pressure, just enough to brake the sheen. Cabinet type blasters usually have a pressure regulator attached.

Another alternative is paint on nonskid with a two part (hard) paint after a light wet N day sanding, which may need to be repeated but better then nothing.
Thanks for the thoughts, Del. The sanding that I have done has long since removed the sheen... had to do something, for even with 6 wraps on the Barient 32 genoa sheet winches they would slip! With the sanded surfaces it takes but 4 wraps to get a grip

In general, random orientation friction surfaces (like sandblasting would produce) are not the best answer. Ideally one should have high friction perpendicular to the axis of the drum and zero friction parallel to the axis, for the line must "climb" up the drum as you winch in. That's why the ribbed drums on Anderson winches work so well, even though they are pretty shiny and slick!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-02-2013, 19:25   #30

My aluminum winches have a ceramic coating with sand embedded in the drum section, and the sheets seem to slide up pretty well. Just saying.......

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2982.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	54716  

Tags
maintenance, winch