Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 14:05   #31
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Why use flat webbing as jacklines instead of rope?

I would think another reason for webbing is unmistakeability. It's going to be the only peice of webbing around so no one is going to accidently tie themselves to the wrong line.
Old 04-03-2012, 14:57   #32

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I would think another reason for webbing is unmistakeability. It's going to be the only peice of webbing around so no one is going to accidently tie themselves to the wrong line.
That's actually a really good point. Could be awkward if you clipped yourself into the wrong line when the sh## really hits the fan.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:33   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
After Celestial tells the story about the boom (gooseneck) being ripped off the mast I'll verify that it is correct. "It was a dark and stormy night........"
......SkiprJohn and I were off-watch when at around 4am. I loud crunching bang was heard. Robert who was on watch yelled bellow that the main sheet had broken. I thought to myself..."D'oh"! I went on deck to see the end of the boom lying on the side deck. It was so dark, I could not see the mast.
Here here we come to life lines...They only work if you snap yourself into them. I was so focused on the boom that I crawled up the weather deck. It was so stormy that I still couldn't see the problem. Even in foulies I was soaked to the bone in 54 degree water. I felt around until I felt all 6 of the 3/8" lags had tore out of the mast. My boat then was a 25000 lb. Ingrid 38. We barely had 40% of the fore-triangle out and we were still doing around 7+ knots. She was charging so hard, she had a bone in her teeth. (How am I doing John?) Suddenly a wall of green water came charging down the fore deck. (ok...I don't know what color it was because it was dark). A second before it hit me is when I realized I did not have my harness on. I wrapped my legs around the mast and hugged it tight as I heard my crew scream..."HOLD ON"!
I had a milk jug basket lashed to the mast filled with random lines (don't ask me why I do that now). I lashed the end of the boom to a grab rail as the bow disappeared two more times under water and then went back to the safety of the cockpit...ok happy?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:43   #34

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
......SkiprJohn and I were off-watch when at around 4am. I loud crunching bang was heard. Robert who was on watch yelled bellow that the main sheet had broken. I thought to myself..."D'oh"! I went on deck to see the end of the boom lying on the side deck. It was so dark, I could not see the mast.
Here here we come to life lines...They only work if you snap yourself into them. I was so focused on the boom that I crawled up the weather deck. It was so stormy that I still couldn't see the problem. Even in foulies I was soaked to the bone in 54 degree water. I felt around until I felt all 6 of the 3/8" lags had tore out of the mast. My boat then was a 25000 lb. Ingrid 38. We barely had 40% of the fore-triangle out and we were still doing around 7+ knots. She was charging so hard, she had a bone in her teeth. (How am I doing John?) Suddenly a wall of green water came charging down the fore deck. (ok...I don't know what color it was because it was dark). A second before it hit me is when I realized I did not have my harness on. I wrapped my legs around the mast and hugged it tight as I heard my crew scream..."HOLD ON"!
I had a milk jug basket lashed to the mast filled with random lines (don't ask me why I do that now). I lashed the end of the boom to a grab rail as the bow disappeared two more times under water and then went back to the safety of the cockpit...ok happy?
Why do you have a milk jug lashed to your mast??????
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:45   #35

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Why do you have a milk jug lashed to your mast??????
pardon me - milk jug BASKET
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:46   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Sounds right to me except not embellished enough, hurricane force winds, 60 foot seas, clawing off a lee shore, giant squids hanging on amidships, etc., etc.. I pretty much was sound asleep until we needed to go up after daybreak to see the damage and see what could be done to secure the boom and get the sail situated. Then, we wore harnesses and clipped on to the jacklines. Still hard going with water coming down both sides the boat when we hit the back side of the waves.
Martin's actions were heroic and he's the second friend I've sailed with who leaped into action not remembering to harness and hook up. I think there is an overwhelming urge to get the job done and safety be hanged when the adrenaline is running high. Now, out in weather like that I sleep in my harness when off watch. When I was younger and sailing in the 70s and 80s I don't remember hooking up or wearing a life jacket when we were doing interisland sails. I wouldn't do that anymore.
Old 04-03-2012, 15:48   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
pardon me - milk jug BASKET
It was another dark and stormy night.....ah...nevermind!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:06   #38

Webbing can also be hallow, in which one can sew in an elastic, so it isn't always is the way, can't do that with rope.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:06   #39

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Flat webbing vs line or wire for jacklines? Either way, it isn't good to step on the jacklines and I believe that most jacklines will hug the cabin sides if set up taut enough. I use old wire rigging and if I step on it it'll roll. I've been on boats with flat webbing and it's hard to tighten it enough to keep it from stretching, especially when wet and when you need it most. If you step on flat webbing it might slide under your feet so just don't step on your jacklines.
Old 04-03-2012, 16:11   #40

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim View Post
Webbing can also be hollow, in which one can sew in an elastic, so it isn't always in the way, can't do that with rope.
Not a bad idea. If high enough that would keep it off the deck.
Old 04-03-2012, 16:26   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Sounds right to me except not embellished enough, hurricane force winds, 60 foot seas, clawing off a lee shore, giant squids hanging on amidships, etc., etc.. I pretty much was sound asleep until we needed to go up after daybreak to see the damage and see what could be done to secure the boom and get the sail situated. Then, we wore harnesses and clipped on to the jacklines. Still hard going with water coming down both sides the boat when we hit the back side of the waves.
Martin's actions were heroic and he's the second friend I've sailed with who leaped into action not remembering to harness and hook up. I think there is an overwhelming urge to get the job done and safety be hanged when the adrenaline is running high. Now, out in weather like that I sleep in my harness when off watch. When I was younger and sailing in the 70s and 80s I don't remember hooking up or wearing a life jacket when we were doing interisland sails. I wouldn't do that anymore.
Decks awash, it's night, major hardware is failing, crew on foredeck not lashed in, you are off watch and sleeping...

You are doing it right - LOL

Did the off-coming-watch have the coffee made when you came up? Slackers...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:37   #42

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

OMG....sounds really familiar..and thanks for sharing. My hubby and I were taking our 40'Ted Hood Gulfstar on a run down from Morro Bay to Santa Barbara around the notorious Point Conception...it was Jan 3, 2005. I had been at the helm for some time and the confused seas were something else..one jolt.sent our Flag right out of the flag staff socket on the stern....anyway...It was Jon's turn to take the wheel and I went below to get some rest... I went to sleep but after a bit...I heard sounds coming from the foredeck...it sounded like chain or something being pulled across the starboard foredeck or some nature of scrambling up above me...that roused me out of my sleep enough to yell at Jon..who by that time, thankfully was back in the cockpit. He reported that an anchor rode had gone over board and he had gone forward to pull it in...no harness of course.no clip on a jack line..I shudder to think what could have happened..He could have fallen overboard and there I was slumbering away below....never again...harnesses ..absolutely...you betcha...for the safety of everyone on board. :/... and that's my "dark and stormy night story"......
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:57   #43

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Was that the guy who came into ER with a boom up his butt? Rope tape does not matter I crawl in anything more than ideal flat seas.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:36   #44

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
West Marine is about the biggest rip-off going!
Amen, you can take those words to rhe bank and cash in. I hate getting screwed by those crooks.....Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 19:49   #45

Boat: Haida 26

My Haida has all lines running to the cockpit, now I'm changing them back to old school. I had so many lines running on tthe deck that it is actually dangerous to go to the foredeck. The olnly safe way is to crawl. Yes clipped into jacklines. In the 70's alway's wore my harness, but no life jacket...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines