Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2018, 18:59   #1

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51
Whisker Pole with spike outboard end… how to rig so it won’t shake free?

Many posts about whisker poles but none with this specific question. I’ve read that the spike goes through the headsail clew…but not how to ‘seize’ it? Others say it’s better to clip to headsail sheet but obviously not with my spike end.

I don’t have a topping lift.

How do you spike-enders do it?
Old 13-12-2018, 20:27   #2

Re: Whisker Pole with spike outboard end… how to rig so it won’t shake free?

If you don't have a topping lift... it's very hard to keep everything together until the sheet comes tight.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 20:37   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Spike end poles are more for dinghy size boats than yours, Markus. Dunno if there are second hand boat bits shops in your area, but they are a good source for smaller bits of hardware like a clip on pole end. It would be worth while to have a look for one for I think you'll have a lot of frustration with your spike!

Jim
Old 14-12-2018, 18:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you don't have a topping lift... it's very hard to keep everything together until the sheet comes tight.
Thanks Bill. You are correct. My next search may be for "how to add a topping lift" thread.
Old 14-12-2018, 18:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Spike end poles are more for dinghy size boats than yours, Markus. Dunno if there are second hand boat bits shops in your area, but they are a good source for smaller bits of hardware like a clip on pole end. It would be worth while to have a look for one for I think you'll have a lot of frustration with your spike!

Jim
Thanks Jim. It is frustrating. And you confirm what I was starting to suspect...change the end to a clip-on.

Not a lot of choices for new or used parts around here either, but the Toronto boat show and Montreal boat show are coming soon...should find something.
Old 15-12-2018, 08:19   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Assuming you're using a pole that is short enough and light enough to be managed by hand, add a small plastic horned cleat to the inboard end of the pole and make up a 1/4" diameter line with a small eyes plice on one end. When the pole is needed, pass the pin end of the pole through the clue cringle and then the eye splice in the securing line. Then extend the pole, keeping a bit of tension on the line so that the line's eye splice firmly holds the clue-cringle over the pole end pin. Affix the inboard end of the pole to the mast fitting and secure the clue cringle line with a good bot of tension over the small horned cleat. When you're ready to free the sail, release the line and ease the sheet and the sail will fly free of the pole which can than be withdrawn the pole. BTDT...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 18:22   #7

I like it! Simple and costs nothing to try. Also get to practice making an eye splice. My whisker pole is easy to manage (1 1/4" OD and ~10 ft long). Basically like handling the boat hook which exactly the same size.

I was clipping onto the mast ring first and messing about with headsail sheets to keep tension but now I see it makes more sense to start at the clew end.

Thank you!

Tags
eye splice, whisker pole