Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2013, 17:18   #1

Whisker pole extension

I have a Catalina 27 that came with a Forespar Whisker Pole. Collapsed it is 84" long. Extended to just barely inserted, it is 144" long. The outside tube is 2" in Diameter. The next tube is 2.875 in Diameter. There is then a smaller tube inside it that is 2.75 OD. The smaller tube appears to just a reinforcement or it is really stuck bad.
Just how much should the inner and outer tubes overlap? The more the better I know. But just how much and can I extend the pole and still be strong enough?
bhstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 18:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Whisker pole extension

I rebuilt my 12/22 pole a year or so ago. The inner pole on mine was nearly as long as the outer pole. It extends a bit beyond the inner pole when collapsed and doesn't quite go all the way to the end. The third inner pole is for the extension line to turn around so it can pull out the extendable/inner pole. Should have a sheave on the end of it if it is designed like mine. IIRC the inner rig tubing for the pole extension rope was pretty small, not much more than an inch in diameter.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 18:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is this a "Line Control" whisker pole? If so, that inner pole may be part of the control line mechanism. Here's a drawing:

Here's a link to the Forespar page:Line Control Whisker Poles Aluminum
Look at the "Tech Tips". The line control system is identical in the aluminum and carbon-fiber poles.

As for "strong enough", that depends on the wind and your point of sail. I've broken my line-control pole a couple of times, but it was the end-fittings, or the control line attachment, and had nothing to do with the amount of overlap. It was my fault, both times I had the pole under way too much strain.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 15:33   #4

No, mine is a twist and lock. I guess I should have mentioned that. The inner tube is slightly longer than the outer tube. Coming out too far will weaken the column strength of the pole. I just don't know where that point is.
bhstech is offline   Reply With Quote