Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 19:07   #1

Whisker pole

Hi all. I am rerigging my staysail cutter rigged 43ft cruiser. I am constructing a combination whisker pole bowsprit extension to be used for genoa pole down wind and a drifter respectively. I have some heavy walled G10 electrical pipe for watertight applications and some old heavy bronze pole ends. The pole ends are not big enough to clip a sheet and mine are tied on to the genoa so I was wondering why can't I just slide a ring over the sheet and run it up to the clew of the genoa. This would allow me to clip the pole and add a downhaul. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 19:41   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: Whisker pole

How do you release your guy when it hits the fan. And believe me it does. Use one to the car on your mast and buy a decent offshore end for the guy. And never attach it to anything but a sheet. Or in this case the guy.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:06   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

If what you are considering is a ring that is slipped onto the guy and sheet and then clipped to the end of the pole (because it is smaller diameter than the sheet) then this will work, to a degree. It will allow you to slack the guy and let the windward clew run from the pole end, which is what Redcoat is focusing on. If you attach the ring to the clew then you're going to get in trouble as the only way you can slack is by actually going on the foredeck and detaching the pole from the ring.

The downside of letting the ring float is that it will slide free on the sheet and the guy on both sides when it's not on the pole and you'll need to run it down and bring it back to the pole end every time you tack.

Better just to get properly fitting pole ends.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:09   #4

Good idea. Thanks.

Found this: Forespar, UGPS-300-Ef-Ultra 3 in. Offshore End

I can keep one of bronze ends for the mast fitting and then use the Offshore end for the outboard side. $357.

So I guess I have one heavy chrome plated bronze pole fitting for sale. $100? anyone.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 20:22   #5

Boat: Cooper 416

Save your money. And both ends they brake. Go buy two good composit ends I did and haven't broke anything yet their pretty strong. That way you have a replacement on board.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote