Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 10:58   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Where to start and finish the zip on the boom bag?

I have a 47ft Cat. The present boom bag is showing its age and will need repair / replacement as the zip end is hard to engage. There is a lazy jack system as well. At present the zip is started off near the bottom of the mast (up 3 mast steps). It is difficult, in swell, holding on and getting the ends together. The zip finishes at the end of the boom which is situated past the stern of the boat necessitating standing on a winch and bringing the boom to the side to fully close the bag. My wife has managed over the years amazingly well but it is a real PITA. I would like to make things easier.

Has anyone had experience of using TWO zips - both starting in the middle of the boom and ending at the base of the mast and the end of the boom? It would be much easier to get together and if one zip broke then you could still obtain some measure of securing the mainsail.

Comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:14   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Where to start and finish the zip on the boom bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
I have a 47ft Cat. The present boom bag is showing its age and will need repair / replacement as the zip end is hard to engage. There is a lazy jack system as well. At present the zip is started off near the bottom of the mast (up 3 mast steps). It is difficult, in swell, holding on and getting the ends together. The zip finishes at the end of the boom which is situated past the stern of the boat necessitating standing on a winch and bringing the boom to the side to fully close the bag. My wife has managed over the years amazingly well but it is a real PITA. I would like to make things easier.

Has anyone had experience of using TWO zips - both starting in the middle of the boom and ending at the base of the mast and the end of the boom? It would be much easier to get together and if one zip broke then you could still obtain some measure of securing the mainsail.

Comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.
I just built one. I used common sense twist fasteners on the bottom and a zipper on the front.

Zipper along the forward opening, zips from the top down

Common sense fasteners along the foot

oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 14:28   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Where to start and finish the zip on the boom bag?

Becky, nice mainsail cover.

sv strider, I've never seen a boom bag type mainsail cover with two boom zips, and if you made it that way, there will be a gap there on the top where the two center zips begin. However, you could have the sailmaker or trimmer (or whoever builds that boom bag) sew a flap of whatever canvas you use that will fold over that zip starting place to protect the sail underneath and velcro to fasten it down. Something else that can help is a zip pull extension, out of stiff plastic, with a similar flap at the aft end to secure it from blowing around. You'd want to be able to secure the "stick" under way, but all it could be figured out how to keep it secured both under way and at anchor.

You wrote you're on the Gold Coast, why don't you try talking with some other Cat owners who may be able to point you towards a trimmer or sailmaker whom you could trust to do a good job. If you haven't already thought of it, it should be designed with copious covers to keep the sun off the zips, they are prone to UV degradation. Also, darker colors absorb more UV than the lighter ones. Finally, specify PTFE thread. Ours is still good after 13 yrs, whereas all the UV 92 polyester thread goes in about 5 years (in our usage, maybe subtropical most of the time, on the order of 3 mo tropical.)

Ann