Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2018, 05:02   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Where NOT to use soft shackles?

I am joining the modern age and starting to look for places to use soft shackles on our boat. A good friend made me several of varying size dyneema. I just installed one at the tack of the staysail to attach it to the staysail furler.

I am looking for additional places where they may be useful, but don't want to use them in an inappropriate location. I guess anyplace subject to wild flogging may not be a good choice?

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 05:46   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Where NOT to use soft shackles?

With soft shackles pay attention to chafe and UV degradation over time. These things are actually more resiliant than I originally anticipated.

FAVORITE places to start with soft shackles are places that rattle and clank. An annoying rattle from the topping lift to boom shackle was eliminated by a soft shackle, just as an example.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 06:41   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

It’s just so HARD to look at that big steel shackle in one hand and the little piece of rope in the other hand and let go of old notions.
I’ve gotten pretty good at making soft shackles and have changed nearly all the hard ones out.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 07:03   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I guess anyplace subject to wild flogging may not be a good choice?
Soft shackles are often used to attach the headsail sheets to the clew. This has become common over the last few years. I have never heard anyone report that a soft shackle has released with flogging. They are sometimes lightly secured with velcro, but not always. I have not done so with ours and there have been no issues.

We have a few dozen scattered in various locations on board. They are extraordinarily useful for a multitude of things, not just as a replacement for stainless steel shackles.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 07:06   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Not where unimpeachable reliability is required. For example, places you would either not use a pin shackle, or you would mouse it:

• Anchor shackle
  • Attachment of bosuns chair or harness
  • Standing rigging
Against heavily burred steel or sharp edges. For example, where SS shackles have been used, without deburring.

Places were restricting rotation is desirable. Some tackles.

---

But mostly I like them.
Old 21-10-2018, 07:28   #6

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Thanks, everyone. Good suggestions!

Yes, it is a mindset adjustment to remove a stainless shackle and replace it with a floppy little ropy thingie. I am actively looking for places to use these as I slowly gain confidence in them.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 07:38   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S
Where do all the soft shackles go?

I love soft shackles. I make my own (using the excellent Seaworthy Lass tutorial). They've replaced metal ones many places on the boat. I like that I don't have to grab a knife/tool to open them when I want. And that they don't make noise, or hurt when they hit me. But, my oldest is about 4 years old (tack of the jib) and the hardest used (anchor chain to bridle - ~250 days/year) die after about a year or so.

On the other hand, I have metal shackles aboard that I know are 40 years old. And they're 100% recyclable. Even made of metals of high enough quality that they could be sold for scrap (if I could get enough). And still as strong as the day they were new. If I don't overstress them they could probably be used by my grandchildren.

So, the questions I have, how long do soft shackles really last; and where do all the old, plastic soft shackles end up?

As I sail around in my plastic boat, driven by my plastic sails, controlled by my plastic lines, and look at the giant piles of plastic litter on the windward side of every atoll I visit I start to wonder about adding even more disposable plastic to my account. They're great tools and I love them but I've started to wonder about their total cost.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 07:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Seaworthy,

Being dense here. How are soft sha Klee being used? I just tie the sheets with a bowline, with attendant problems for a cutter rig.

I also have been shy about using soft shackles where flogging is experienced.

I suppose a couple of loose stitches may help that situation?

BTW, I also use your tutorial. Thanks.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 08:11   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have been using an over sized soft shackle to attach the sheets for the last couple of years now without any problems. You need a pair of small loops in the each of the sheets. The difference is when tacking the soft shackle doesn't catch on our baby stay which the bowlines did regularly. You need the soft shackle and the stopper on the side so that only the two sheet loops and the soft shackle contact the baby stay or staysail etc.

Whilst a small SS would have been fine, I went oversize to make it easier to tie or undo with cold hands.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 08:21   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

I’ve been a bit stunned at their resistance to chafe which I suppose is partly a function of the slippery nature of dyneema. I use them exclusively now to attach my snubber to my chain which I think is a pretty good test of how they wear. Current one has seen 150+ nights at anchor through some fairly challenging conditions (35 knots, nasty chop, twisted chain etc.) and it’s just beginning to show a spec of visible wear.

I put a rubber gasket on the one that attaches my sheets to my jib clew as insurance last time I checked it but I’ve never had one shake open. When they’ve been in use for awhile and have taken a set I can’t see them opening except by some freak occurance. Frankly it’s not something I worry about.
Old 21-10-2018, 12:20   #11

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I’ve been using them on my jib this year and I like them very much. Fewer hang ups while tacking.
I haven’t tried them any where else yet but will next season on the toe rail for blocks

Ymmv
Old 21-10-2018, 12:57   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not where unimpeachable reliability is required. For example, places you would either not use a pin shackle, or you would mouse it:

• Anchor shackle
  • Attachment of bosuns chair or harness
  • Standing rigging
I have to say I'm always happy with the soft shackle on the end of my main halyard as the bosun's chair hoist. And another on the spinnaker for a backup. If there's the slightest doubt, then I just use a bigger one (I'm using 7mm dyneema to make SS's for things like halyards and snubbers, so that we're so far over the required specification we don't have to fret about a bit of UV or chafe)

The only place I wouldn't use them is places where I really don't care, not places where I'm concerned about reliability. The anchor shackle doesn't matter to me as it's not going to make a noise or danger more than the chain itself is, and if it doesn't need replacing then there's no point, particularly since there are now a large number of spare unused large shackles in my toolbox!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 16:17   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m a noob, but I have a soft shackle on the topping lift where it attaches to the boom, the SS one was noisy, I don’t miss the noise.
I also have them on the blocks for my Code Zero, as it mostly stays stowed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 17:16   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Perhaps a better question is "where have the failed?"

I've had them on jib clews for years; they don't flog off. Really. Stop worrying about it. Tying on a jib is good; I switched for boat-specific reasons that are not relevant to the discussion. What I will never again do is use a metal shackle on a jib; bad for heads and bad for spars.

Personally, I have never had one open or wear out.
Old 21-10-2018, 19:51   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I love and use soft shackles every place. one of my best places lately is on dock lines, from the cleat through the hole or over the caprail where dock line stretches and squeaks, the dynema doesn't stretch and doesn't make any noise. I have had one soft shackle come undone, I had my bosen chair hooked to my halyard with the soft shackle for the mainsail, while trying to get as much height as possible I pulled the soft shackle into the sheeve box at the top of the mast and the way it went in it pulled the knot through the loop, luckily I always have a safety halyard hooked up, I dropped about 6 inches, enough to stop my heart for a second.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote