Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 08:24   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: When Is the Right Time to Replace the Standing Rig ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Interesting. I've always suspected that most cruisers' rigging would last decades but no-one ever leaves it up there long enough to prove it. Racing and high seas sailing apart, the ten year rule is probably just another industry furphy. The rigging on one of my craft is 18 years old and there are no problems as far as I can see. I'd be keen to hear the results of your summer inspection.
I got my rigging inspected by a very respected racing boat rigger (Torresen Marine) just this fall. After 21 years he said it's still going good. Keep in mind that my boat is in the Great Lakes, used just 5 months a year, and the mast is pulled and stored inside ever year (except this year). I'm sure that has something to do with it. Even with this inspection inspection, i'm replacing the forestay and backstay when I drop the mast for the Erie Canal this year.
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:51   #32

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: When Is the Right Time to Replace the Standing Rig ?

After having replaced one lower shroud after 15 years (by the PO) I replaced all the standing rigging last year after 24 years of saltwater use. I used STA-LOK and Hi-MOD fittings and did it myself. It's a nice feeling knowing everything is updated. I built a maple mitre box and used a 32 tooth hacksaw to cut the wire to length. Worked perfectly. I didn't want to use a cut-off wheel since I would not have one available to me at sea. With a couple pieces of wire and a couple fittings I'm self sufficient.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When Is the Right Time to Replace the Standing Rig ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
After having replaced one lower shroud after 15 years (by the PO) I replaced all the standing rigging last year after 24 years of saltwater use. I used STA-LOK and Hi-MOD fittings and did it myself. It's a nice feeling knowing everything is updated. I built a maple mitre box and used a 32 tooth hacksaw to cut the wire to length. Worked perfectly. I didn't want to use a cut-off wheel since I would not have one available to me at sea. With a couple pieces of wire and a couple fittings I'm self sufficient.
The best way to go mate...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacements, standing rig, stays, terminals