Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 17:13   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
What Wood to use to Secure Fuel Cans to Stanchions?

For our upcoming cruise to Mexico I want to secure 4 Gerry cans (5 gallon tall) on deck. I am planning on a board u-bolted between lifeline stanchions (1 1/4" about 6 and a half feet apart) on each side deck and lashing the cans to that. My questions are 1) What dimension lumber do I need? Would 1x6 be sufficient? 2) What type of wood should I use? I am planning on a one year cruise so I don't need the lumber to survive forever but I want sufficient strength for the purpose and a decent look on deck.

I hope this hasn't been asked and answered before. I did search the forum and didn't see the same question asked. Thanks for your input.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 18:26   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: What wood to use to secure fuel cans to stanchions?

When I did something similar on my last monohull I just lashed each jerry jug to a stanchion. Worked fine.
Old 23-07-2013, 18:40   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I did the 1x6 board U-bolted to the stanchions as well. But just a suggestion, I spent a few extra dollars and used the composite plastic 1X6 boards used for decking found at Home Depot type stores. They are just as strong and need zero maintenance. Mine have been on my boat for over five years and they look like the day I put them on.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 01:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I usually use 1x6 deck wood (stronger than fir, for example). I lash them to the stanchions. A pair of boards, upper and lower, is more secure than a single board, but I've done it both ways.

On one particularly rough trip I had used lighter 1x4 boards, and they were broken by the bashing they took as we were pounding into the heavy seas. This may have been a good thing, since it may have kept the stanchions from bending or breaking. It's actually not particularly ship-shape to attach jugs to the stanchions, since this can subject them to brutal loads. Still, many of us do this, and we usually get away with it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel