Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2016, 11:01   #31
cruiser

Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Going.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	125090  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 11:02   #32
cruiser

Gone....

Sometimes things just work out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	125091  
Old 28-05-2016, 12:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Going......
What are all of you Mastervolt units, Inverter, charger and ????
Old 28-05-2016, 13:31   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
What are all of you Mastervolt units, Inverter, charger and ????
The one on the left is a Mastervolt 24/2500 inverter, in the middle a Mastervolt 24/50 charger, and on the right is an unused Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that the previous owner used to power his two SAT phones and the dome antenna. We have another Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that powers the ice maker, and an additional Mastervolt 24/75 charger due to arrive any day from America.

The boat is set up to dock anywhere in the world and hook up to shore power, or we can remain in anchorages indefinitely with the 7.5kw generator. Orinoco is 110V so here in the Med everything that needs to be plugged in runs through the inverters.

We hope to install a 500W Solbian solar array over the next two weeks, but if there's a chance of a delay, it might need to be postponed until next May.
Old 28-05-2016, 14:18   #35

Boat: St Francis 50

Attachment 125099

This looks similar to a system we're installing on a new 50 ft cat we're building.
The system is designed to allow most worldwide supplies to be used - selector switch is used to determine power routing for 60Hz and agnostic equipment.
Paul

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1464470305.380739.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	125100

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 14:25   #36
cruiser

Nice!

Like Tim Allen would say, "more power!"
Old 28-05-2016, 15:02   #37

Looks good Ken, now go give it away. For your type of sailing I can't think of one good reason for hauling a piece of junk around. It's heavy and takes up space and the chance of you using it are almost zilch. I guess the other option is to drag it around with you for a few years and then dump it, like I'm doing right now. I could justify dragging a spare headsail around when we were crossing oceans but here in the Caribbean you get hold of a sail maker just like you did in the Med and get done what needs doing. Tomorrow I'm going to try and give this sail away on the local net. Reminds me of people storing junk they don't need in land life because it's so valuable and then years later after paying storage they have a yard sail and can't get 10% of their storage costs back. You've been sailing around there for a few years now without a spare main, what's happened now that all of a sudden you need one. Meh!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 15:29   #38

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Looks good Ken, now go give it away. For your type of sailing I can't think of one good reason for hauling a piece of junk around. It's heavy and takes up space and the chance of you using it are almost zilch. I guess the other option is to drag it around with you for a few years and then dump it, like I'm doing right now. I could justify dragging a spare headsail around when we were crossing oceans but here in the Caribbean you get hold of a sail maker just like you did in the Med and get done what needs doing. Tomorrow I'm going to try and give this sail away on the local net. Reminds me of people storing junk they don't need in land life because it's so valuable and then years later after paying storage they have a yard sail and can't get 10% of their storage costs back. You've been sailing around there for a few years now without a spare main, what's happened now that all of a sudden you need one. Meh!
I think thats a fair point if you are kicking around the med or other first world places. Or doing easy downwind ocean stuff like Med to Caribbean or other trade wind runs where the loss of the main doesn't cripple you the same way. Get off the beaten track and having some sort of alternative (at least a trisail or something) gets more important. Saying that I have never completely blown a mainsail, and if you are careful and have good new sails its a rare event.

Its more important for us budget sailers who try to milk as much life from an old sail as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-05-2016, 16:16   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

To emphasize what RS said above, you sailed around with a crappy old main and no spare and no worries. Now you have a strong new sail... why carry a spare?

Jim
Old 28-05-2016, 22:50   #40
cruiser

Last season a good friend on an Oyster 53 ripped two of his sails around here including his main I believe, and needed to have his two extras shipped out so he could keep going. We also ripped our Yankee which needed fixing.

So, we are hesitant to let go.
Old 28-05-2016, 23:30   #41

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

IMO, spare primary sails are like the dual spare tires which you see on rally/expedition vehicles. As long as you've got the space, or rather, make the space for them. Then it only makes sense to carry'em.
For you can get by without a kite, or a big jib. But you really need your primary sails. Much as stated earlier by Snowpetrel

Admittedly, having an in mast furling main changes the playing field a bit. In that they're not so easy to swap out as a traditional main, when you're at sea, but...
And, push come to shove, you can always use it as barter goods later, make awnings, or dinghy sails from it, etc.

But a 2nd main is an ace in the hole. Especially one which costs $10k to replace. Especially if, by some fluke, you trashed your primary when your kitty was low. Or you're a long way from a sail loft.
Just sayin'

I suppose that one option you could look into/leave open, if you're really on the fence about things. Is to keep a standing offer open, to trade it for another sail, where you have a "hole" in your inventory.
Whether that's a kite, a staysail, or other. As it's always nice to stock up one's "quiver".

PS: Nice bricking job BTW. Now just wrap it in some spare canvas, & make sure that that locker has some serious latches.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 23:33   #42

At the end of the summer carry it home as excess baggage or ship it. Keep it in the garage and if you plan an ocean crossing, then take it back to the boat.
Old 28-05-2016, 23:41   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The one on the left is a Mastervolt 24/2500 inverter, in the middle a Mastervolt 24/50 charger, and on the right is an unused Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that the previous owner used to power his two SAT phones and the dome antenna. We have another Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that powers the ice maker, and an additional Mastervolt 24/75 charger due to arrive any day from America.

The boat is set up to dock anywhere in the world and hook up to shore power, or we can remain in anchorages indefinitely with the 7.5kw generator. Orinoco is 110V so here in the Med everything that needs to be plugged in runs through the inverters.

We hope to install a 500W Solbian solar array over the next two weeks, but if there's a chance of a delay, it might need to be postponed until next May.
Ahh so you spread the AC load between multiple inverters. Ice maker... luxury

Why did you buy the charger from the US? Mastervolt is Dutch, so you should be easy able to order the 110v over this way.
Old 28-05-2016, 23:56   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Why did you buy the charger from the US? Mastervolt is Dutch, so you should be easy able to order the 110v over this way.
I saw the Mass 24/75 charger on eBay for $300 brand new when I was looking for a second Mastervolt 24/50 to have as a spare.
Old 11-06-2016, 16:15   #45

Boat: Pearson 281

Mine still had some life in it, seams look okay and being as it was well made of a heavier cloth I will have the roach trimmed off, battens eliminated and third reef added. Will make an excellent cruising sail until it goes though I think it will be a few miles yet before that happens.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail