Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2016, 12:01   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Going.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	125090  
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 12:02   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Gone....

Sometimes things just work out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	125091  
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 13:37   #33
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Going......
What are all of you Mastervolt units, Inverter, charger and ????
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 14:31   #34
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
What are all of you Mastervolt units, Inverter, charger and ????
The one on the left is a Mastervolt 24/2500 inverter, in the middle a Mastervolt 24/50 charger, and on the right is an unused Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that the previous owner used to power his two SAT phones and the dome antenna. We have another Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that powers the ice maker, and an additional Mastervolt 24/75 charger due to arrive any day from America.

The boat is set up to dock anywhere in the world and hook up to shore power, or we can remain in anchorages indefinitely with the 7.5kw generator. Orinoco is 110V so here in the Med everything that needs to be plugged in runs through the inverters.

We hope to install a 500W Solbian solar array over the next two weeks, but if there's a chance of a delay, it might need to be postponed until next May.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 15:18   #35
Registered User
 
Catalysis's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Boat: St Francis 50
Posts: 275
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Attachment 125099

This looks similar to a system we're installing on a new 50 ft cat we're building.
The system is designed to allow most worldwide supplies to be used - selector switch is used to determine power routing for 60Hz and agnostic equipment.
Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1464470305.380739.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	125100


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 15:25   #36
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Nice!

Like Tim Allen would say, "more power!"
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 16:02   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,946
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Looks good Ken, now go give it away. For your type of sailing I can't think of one good reason for hauling a piece of junk around. It's heavy and takes up space and the chance of you using it are almost zilch. I guess the other option is to drag it around with you for a few years and then dump it, like I'm doing right now. I could justify dragging a spare headsail around when we were crossing oceans but here in the Caribbean you get hold of a sail maker just like you did in the Med and get done what needs doing. Tomorrow I'm going to try and give this sail away on the local net. Reminds me of people storing junk they don't need in land life because it's so valuable and then years later after paying storage they have a yard sail and can't get 10% of their storage costs back. You've been sailing around there for a few years now without a spare main, what's happened now that all of a sudden you need one. Meh!
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 16:29   #38
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Looks good Ken, now go give it away. For your type of sailing I can't think of one good reason for hauling a piece of junk around. It's heavy and takes up space and the chance of you using it are almost zilch. I guess the other option is to drag it around with you for a few years and then dump it, like I'm doing right now. I could justify dragging a spare headsail around when we were crossing oceans but here in the Caribbean you get hold of a sail maker just like you did in the Med and get done what needs doing. Tomorrow I'm going to try and give this sail away on the local net. Reminds me of people storing junk they don't need in land life because it's so valuable and then years later after paying storage they have a yard sail and can't get 10% of their storage costs back. You've been sailing around there for a few years now without a spare main, what's happened now that all of a sudden you need one. Meh!
I think thats a fair point if you are kicking around the med or other first world places. Or doing easy downwind ocean stuff like Med to Caribbean or other trade wind runs where the loss of the main doesn't cripple you the same way. Get off the beaten track and having some sort of alternative (at least a trisail or something) gets more important. Saying that I have never completely blown a mainsail, and if you are careful and have good new sails its a rare event.

Its more important for us budget sailers who try to milk as much life from an old sail as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 17:16   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,450
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

To emphasize what RS said above, you sailed around with a crappy old main and no spare and no worries. Now you have a strong new sail... why carry a spare?

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 23:50   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Last season a good friend on an Oyster 53 ripped two of his sails around here including his main I believe, and needed to have his two extras shipped out so he could keep going. We also ripped our Yankee which needed fixing.

So, we are hesitant to let go.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 00:30   #41
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

IMO, spare primary sails are like the dual spare tires which you see on rally/expedition vehicles. As long as you've got the space, or rather, make the space for them. Then it only makes sense to carry'em.
For you can get by without a kite, or a big jib. But you really need your primary sails. Much as stated earlier by Snowpetrel

Admittedly, having an in mast furling main changes the playing field a bit. In that they're not so easy to swap out as a traditional main, when you're at sea, but...
And, push come to shove, you can always use it as barter goods later, make awnings, or dinghy sails from it, etc.

But a 2nd main is an ace in the hole. Especially one which costs $10k to replace. Especially if, by some fluke, you trashed your primary when your kitty was low. Or you're a long way from a sail loft.
Just sayin'

I suppose that one option you could look into/leave open, if you're really on the fence about things. Is to keep a standing offer open, to trade it for another sail, where you have a "hole" in your inventory.
Whether that's a kite, a staysail, or other. As it's always nice to stock up one's "quiver".


PS: Nice bricking job BTW. Now just wrap it in some spare canvas, & make sure that that locker has some serious latches.
__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 00:33   #42
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

At the end of the summer carry it home as excess baggage or ship it. Keep it in the garage and if you plan an ocean crossing, then take it back to the boat.
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 00:41   #43
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The one on the left is a Mastervolt 24/2500 inverter, in the middle a Mastervolt 24/50 charger, and on the right is an unused Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that the previous owner used to power his two SAT phones and the dome antenna. We have another Mastervolt 24/500 inverter that powers the ice maker, and an additional Mastervolt 24/75 charger due to arrive any day from America.

The boat is set up to dock anywhere in the world and hook up to shore power, or we can remain in anchorages indefinitely with the 7.5kw generator. Orinoco is 110V so here in the Med everything that needs to be plugged in runs through the inverters.

We hope to install a 500W Solbian solar array over the next two weeks, but if there's a chance of a delay, it might need to be postponed until next May.
Ahh so you spread the AC load between multiple inverters. Ice maker... luxury

Why did you buy the charger from the US? Mastervolt is Dutch, so you should be easy able to order the 110v over this way.
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 00:56   #44
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,511
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Why did you buy the charger from the US? Mastervolt is Dutch, so you should be easy able to order the 110v over this way.
I saw the Mass 24/75 charger on eBay for $300 brand new when I was looking for a second Mastervolt 24/50 to have as a spare.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 17:15   #45
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
Re: What To Do With Used Main Sail?

Mine still had some life in it, seams look okay and being as it was well made of a heavier cloth I will have the roach trimmed off, battens eliminated and third reef added. Will make an excellent cruising sail until it goes though I think it will be a few miles yet before that happens.
__________________

__________________
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New used sailboat. 3 sail lines main sail halyard, jib halyard and ??? Mrdouble Monohull Sailboats 10 21-09-2015 14:01
Eliminating noise from main furler after main sail removed? Prairie Chicken Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 3 30-10-2014 15:45
furling main sail mast into normal main usage? andreavanduyn General Sailing Forum 9 20-02-2009 09:52
furling main sail mast into normal main usage? andreavanduyn General Sailing Forum 1 10-02-2009 09:06



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.