Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 16:41   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
What Sized Winch for Furler ?

Over the summer I have developed Rotator Cuff Tendonitis. Not surprising I guess, I'm nearly 70, but a bit of a shock. I hope to recover over the winter. So to keep sailing next summer, I'm having to consider making my life easier ! One problem is pulling in the furler in windy conditions (over 10 knots). I'm sailing a Niagara 31. I have a small area on the coaming on which I could place a small winch, self-tailering preferred.

What size would you think would be adequate ? I have Lewmar winches for the Genoa sheets.

Thanks for any suggestions.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 17:48   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: What sized winch for furler ?

I would guess a #8 Lewmar would be adequate, but I don't think they come in a self tailing version. I think the smallest self tailer is the Lewmar #14.
Old 07-09-2011, 17:57   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

Occasionally, when the wind is excessive, I use the genoa sheet winch for the furler. No need to add more complexity to the boat.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 18:04   #4

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I agree with Jentine and use the genoa winch. You may have to set up a snatch block to get the right lead.
Mine comes from the furler, through a couple of blocks along the toe rail and then to a block with a camcleat. From there I can take it to the winch if necessary.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 18:12   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
Occasionally, when the wind is excessive, I use the genoa sheet winch for the furler. No need to add more complexity to the boat.
The problem is when the wind strong enough that you dont want to cast loose the genoa sheet and can't hold it in hand. If your furling line is, say on the port side and you're on starboard tack, a secondary winch that you can use for furling can be very convenient.

You can pick up a chrome Lewmar #8 on ebay for less than $100. I'm not sure about #14 or #16.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24   #6

Boat: Niagara 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The problem is when the wind strong enough that you dont want to cast loose the genoa sheet and can't hold it in hand. If your furling line is, say on the port side and you're on starboard tack, a secondary winch that you can use for furling can be very convenient.

You can pick up a chrome Lewmar #8 on ebay for less than $100. I'm not sure about #14 or #16.
Yes, it's next to impossible to use a winch for two purposes ! But I agree with trying to keep things simple. Thanks for the suggestions, but on thinking about it after the comments above, I see I could add a cam cleat (I have a spare) to the top of the deck near the companionway and lead the furling line to the winch there which handles the genoa halyard and reefing lines. Just also need one of those strips of metal where the furling line would go over the corner of the deck. I'll also buy one of those rubber aids which fits over the winch, to turn the winch into a semi-self-tailing.

Again thanks.

Thanks for the comments.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Using a winch to roll in your roller furler is neither necessary nor advisable. If you have a SNAFU going on, this much mechanical advantage makes it where you can't feel the difference. Manufacturers advise against it as well.

For close quarters or relatively light, (<20 knot) winds, I head up to luff the headsail for TWO seconds only. Then pull the furling line 2' easily with one hand, as it is routed through a clutch that holds it until next time. Next I fall off to stay out of irons, and repeat. After several effortless rounds, it is all rolled up.

At sea, in really high winds, I turn to run with the wind on the hind quarter, but blanketed by the main. Now I fly it half way out in front like a spinnaker, and it rolls in easily... even in 35 knots of wind.

M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_101_00.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	31399  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, winch