Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:21   #31

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
Re: What kind of winch grease

Wotname; bearing grease is designed to get hot due to friction and reduce it's viscosity to almost a flowing state. It acts as oil. When it doesn't get hot, it just sits there and not only accumulates a tremendous amount of dirt but eventually stops being in contact with the surfaces that you want lubricated. Then you get more ware on the parts (pronounced,grinding away the metal) and the residue gets into the grease and stiffens it up. Good winch grease is a bit pricy, I admit, but you don't use very much on each winch and the avrage sailor should get several years out of a tube.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:33   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

When you have an $expensive,000 boat.
What is $12 spent on winch grease.
You can use it for all your other lub jobs on the boat.
A good dinner cost more than that.
Am I missing something here.
Use the right tool for the job.
If you where on this island than yes, improvise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remote-islands.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	36971  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.bobfm View Post
Never use trailer wheel bearing grease. It boggs down with dirt and can cause irreparible damage to delicate internal parts of your winches.
Delicate? What winches do you have?!?
I use the bearing grease on the bearings and machine oil on the pawls. The wheel bearing grease attracts no more dirt than any other sticky grease substance and the sun doesn't make it hot enough to run out of the winch.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03   #34

probably most anything that is non corrosive, not too thick (for the bearings anyway) will do just fine including Petroleum Jelly. Let's face it, a car bearing probably sees more rpms in an hour on the freeway than a winch does in a lifetime... I think it's really the shafts and bearings that are important. The outer drum gears...? well if it's bronze I'm not sure it needs anything; bronze is self lubricating. Lithium adheres well, not sure it should be used on aluminum winches though...? If I was really worried about the gear faces I would mix a little STP in with Lubriplate; sticks like glue! It is amazing how much crud gets into winches as the post above showed. I guess there is a good reason for winch covers other than looking "yachty"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:16   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Pfff... I'll give it another go... tough crowd here

Grease will harden over time, giving you hell to clean it. The way around that is a synthetic grease and SuperLube is the best I know. It is also cheap if that word makes a difference

Superlube is much better than winch grease imho.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:03   #36

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I get it, however, If you are in the middle of no-where, find some grease and know what you are doing. I have 17 winches up through the size 65. I can blow a tube on one round.
You have a boat with "17 winches up through the size 65" and you're concerned with springing for a tube or two of winch grease (total weight about 1.5 lbs.) in your stores? What'm I missing here?
Old 18-02-2012, 17:45   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: What Kind of Winch Grease

Cool.

This is as good as an anchor thread.

My boat's PO bought the manufacturers grease. Thank goodness.

Now about the windlass that chewed up one of it's own bearings and spit the little pieces all over. The don't sell just the one or two bearings I wanted. No, course not. The whole kit. And since it was not new-to-me they didn't care one whit that two of the case screws were stripped because the case half's do not actually line up properly with the holes.

Back to the grease. I used (and use) Evinrude-Johnson "Triple-guard grease. ("Totally waterproof, won't wash out). Part # 508298

This stuff has been on stuff repeatedly dunked in salt water and left to dry un-rinsed. It does not get hard. Best stuff I have found.

You can anchor your boat on that my friends!

Oh, and on high volume things like trailer bearings I use that cheap, ugly, greenish stuff pictured above. Yea, it will get hard if left out in the air for 4-6 years or so. So, the point?

I was too cheap to buy galvanized trailer wheels so I bought the $6.00 ones from walmart. You know the white metal ones that rust in 3 months. Heh. Smear that cheap grease on all the white and it looks awful (no one will steal them) but no rust in 6 years. Dry rot rubber, now that is something else.

What is this thread about?

Tags
winch