Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-11-2010, 00:00   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
What Is this on My Forestay ?

On the forestay of my new boat is two pieces of pipe but I am not sure what their intended purpose is. Any ideas?

I assume the top piece of pipe is to prevent the sail being pulled up too high and the lower piece ?? Perhaps to keep the bottom section up a bit to reduce rubbing on the railings. What do you think?

In between the pipes is a metal bit which I slip the tape at the head of the genoa into before clipping on the rest of the sail. The metal bit holds the sail securely to the forestay. I hope this is right as I was not shown what to do with this pieces.

[If your eyes are good, you may see a small black something between the metal thingo on the forestay and the piece of pipe above it. I put that there as when raising the jib, the pipe can slip over the metal bit in a way which jambs it for a bit, stopping the raising. How on earth the PO could put up with it like that I have no idea. . . . . Oh, maybe that's another reason why he stopped sailing and sold the boat.]

Old 14-11-2010, 03:13   #2

Hmmm. I am lost to be honest.

First and last guess is some some type of Downhaul setup.

Just out of curiosity I popped on an Endeavour owners site and peeked through some brochures to see what the initial setup was. Is your Endeavour an Irwin boat, or unrelated? There was no 27 listed.

Old 14-11-2010, 05:04   #3

Boat: Adams 31 - un named
Hi Troppo, never seen that setup before.
Does the boat carry a spinnaker pole? The pipe may not be intended for the head of the sail, but just sit between two hanks at the height of the pole. I have sailed on Endevour 24s. and due to the narrow beam, the pole was always difficult to keep of the forestay on shy reach, not seen a 27. It may be to protect the spinnaker pole.
I wouldn't put the head of the sail through that feeder fitting if it has a tendancy to bind, you don't want it to bind and become stuck up top.
Old 14-11-2010, 05:53   #4

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
If you are talking about the white split pipe above and below the prefeeder on the forestay,that is usually used on the shrouds to reduce wear on the headsail when tacking.Can't think why it's on the forestay.
It's easy to remove if you think it's not needed.

Phil
Old 14-11-2010, 07:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Don't know about the forestay but you're going to get a lot of chafe with the way the bow line is led.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 07:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
What's missing is the headfoil which sits on top of the two pieces of white plastic--they are to keep the foil from slipping down the headstay.
Old 14-11-2010, 07:33   #7

Boat: Island Packet IP38
Yep agreed they are spacers for the headsail. If you do not have a headfoil they may have just the spacers for the headsail. Raise youe headsail a couple of ways and you will probably see how they were used. My guess is that the headsail goes above both spacers.
Old 14-11-2010, 07:52   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
I was thinking it may have been rigged with a self tending boom. That tabbed stainless piece looks like it could swivel. The block would be a poor way to lead the sheet. Tube for chafe? Agreee change the bow line lead otherwise youll be using that nice big anchor.
Old 14-11-2010, 09:10   #9
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
it doesn't make much sense to have a pre-feeder installed without a head foil. Perhaps the previous owner liked doing everything the hard way? Clearly, however, that photograph does not evidence the work of a professional rigger.

I second the notion that you are rigged for a downhaul or jib cunningham. You'll have to inspect the headsail itself to determine which.
Old 14-11-2010, 15:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
Hmmm. I am lost to be honest.

First and last guess is some some type of Downhaul setup.

Just out of curiosity I popped on an Endeavour owners site and peeked through some brochures to see what the initial setup was. Is your Endeavour an Irwin boat, or unrelated? There was no 27 listed.
Just to make things confusing, there is an old Endeavour 'brand' in Australia which has nothing to do with the USA Endeavour brand. In 1963, Reg Gardner in Sydney Australia, built himself a 24' fiberglass boat and the interest he aroused led him to start commercial production. He called them 'Endeavour' and ended up building a heap of them from 19' to 32'. They are not in production now but are still a popular boat.
Old 14-11-2010, 15:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorOrLess View Post
Hi Troppo, never seen that setup before.
Does the boat carry a spinnaker pole? The pipe may not be intended for the head of the sail, but just sit between two hanks at the height of the pole. I have sailed on Endevour 24s. and due to the narrow beam, the pole was always difficult to keep of the forestay on shy reach, not seen a 27. It may be to protect the spinnaker pole.
I wouldn't put the head of the sail through that feeder fitting if it has a tendancy to bind, you don't want it to bind and become stuck up top.
Yes, there is a spinnaker pole and the shrouds at the side have a different sort of pipe on them to reduce wear on the headsail so maybe the forestay pipe is to protect the spinnaker pole. It is a possibility.
Old 14-11-2010, 15:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Don't know about the forestay but you're going to get a lot of chafe with the way the bow line is led.
Thanks, I will change the way the bow line comes in.
Old 14-11-2010, 16:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
What's missing is the headfoil which sits on top of the two pieces of white plastic--they are to keep the foil from slipping down the headstay.
I googled 'headfoil' and I was very shocked to see that indeed the pipes and the metal gadget in the middle are part of a headfoil system. I will have to go and check all the headsails again but I don't think any of them would fit a headfoil as they have clips not the tape.

And I haven't seen the rest of the headfoil anywhere on the boat . . . .

Well folks, I think that has solved the mystery of what it is. Now the mystery is where is the rest of it and what sails were expected to go on it. I'll go and check the other sail bags.
Old 14-11-2010, 16:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
it doesn't make much sense to have a pre-feeder installed without a head foil. Perhaps the previous owner liked doing everything the hard way? Clearly, however, that photograph does not evidence the work of a professional rigger.

I second the notion that you are rigged for a downhaul or jib cunningham. You'll have to inspect the headsail itself to determine which.
What should I look for in the headsail to tell the difference between whether it is made for a downhaul or jib cunningham?
Old 14-11-2010, 16:11   #15

Thank you all for your replies. They have been extra helpful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: