Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2015, 09:43   #16

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: What Do You Do With Old Ropes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
always exceptions to the rule... bolt rope, man rope, foot rope, bell rope.
(More thread drift)

Captmikem

You beat me too it.
Years ago, my sailing instructor hit me with the question - What rope is always called a rope on a boat? Bolt rope, of course!

Al, S/V Finlandia

Old 01-05-2015, 09:58   #17

Boat: Able 50

Make them into docklines. Strip off the cover and use the core for fenders.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:01   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

You can make fenders that are more attractive than white rubber.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11   #19

give them away, or send them to me! they have lots of uses besides sails!...clyde
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21   #20

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I remember that many American sailors were taught this error in terminology (“no ropes on a boat”), which has been discussed on here a few times. There are plenty of references to it in "boater's safety guides" and those kind of materials, but it's still wrong.

“Line” is not a salty synonym for “rope”; just like“head” is not just a nautical word for the same thing as what you would call a “toilet” at home (the compartment is called “the heads”; the porcelain fixture is just a marine toilet).

A “line” (never just “line”) is a rope or other piece of cordage at work or with some defined function, other than being a sheet, halyard, outhaul, etc. Like a dock line, for example.

A rope is a piece of cordage which is at rest and without a defined function at the moment. So my yankee sheets were sheets, even coiled in the laz, until they were replaced with new ones and they lost their defined function. Now they’re no longer sheets; just ropes. Waiting to have some function assigned to them.

Of course rope is not the only type of cordage you find at sea. After a certain size, it's cable, and below a certain size, "small stuff".

This error about substituting the word "line" for "rope" came about from landlubbers going to sea and being surprised that you can't call a piece of rope at work just a "rope" -- you are supposed to refer to it more specifically, if it's at work (imagine going on a square-rigger, and saying "haul on that rope there"). So the landlubbers got the erroneous impression that you're not supposed to use the word "rope" at all. Then generations of even very good and knowledgeable sailors, like you, got taught this mistake.

As far as sex is concerned, you can use whatever you like. I find that halyards and outhauls are particularly interesting.
The above is true. altho rope dose have another place other than unassigned cordage, which is usually stored in the rope locker. On net fishing boats it is "Rope" the wire rope that makes the bridle for the nets and is spliced into the larger "cable" that is spooled on the drums for deployment and retrieval. Smaller wire cable is also called rope when not in a specific use , such as stays and shrouds in the standing rigging. Wire halliards are also rope.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:22   #21

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Quote:
I remember that many American sailors were taught this error in terminology (“no ropes on a boat”), which has been discussed on here a few times. There are plenty of references to it in "boater's safety guides" and those kind of materials, but it's still wrong.

“Line” is not a salty synonym for “rope”; just like“head” is not just a nautical word for the same thing as what you would call a “toilet” at home (the compartment is called “the heads”; the porcelain fixture is just a marine toilet).

A “line” (never just “line”) is a rope or other piece of cordage at work or with some defined function, other than being a sheet, halyard, outhaul, etc. Like a dock line, for example.

A rope is a piece of cordage which is at rest and without a defined function at the moment. So my yankee sheets were sheets, even coiled in the laz, until they were replaced with new ones and they lost their defined function. Now they’re no longer sheets; just ropes. Waiting to have some function assigned to them.

Of course rope is not the only type of cordage you find at sea. After a certain size, it's cable, and below a certain size, "small stuff".

This error about substituting the word "line" for "rope" came about from landlubbers going to sea and being surprised that you can't call a piece of rope at work just a "rope" -- you are supposed to refer to it more specifically, if it's at work (imagine going on a square-rigger, and saying "haul on that rope there"). So the landlubbers got the erroneous impression that you're not supposed to use the word "rope" at all. Then generations of even very good and knowledgeable sailors, like you, got taught this mistake.

As far as sex is concerned, you can use whatever you like. I find that halyards and outhauls are particularly interesting.
Here here. You beat me to it. So annoying when people nit pick

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My old jib sheets hang from a tree in the backyard. Tied in a loop, they each hold an old fender. Yes, my old sheets and fenders are now a couple of backyard swings. Every kid who enters the yard is drawn to them, and they are a ton of fun. I believe they get more use now than when they were attached to the jib.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
wire rope
Old 01-05-2015, 11:56   #24

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Well, if it works and hands well, why replace it? Polyester double braid is an incredible material, seemingly impervious to UV, lasting for years and years.

I'm replacing the mainsheet only because it is flattened in some places and swollen in other places and doesn't run through the clutches properly.

The sheets still have a lovely hand and I hate to replace them, but they are nicked and frayed here and there and -- well, it's just time. They are a good 13 years old and I've done a lot of miles, so I think they deserve their retirement
Helpful, thanks. Also reassuring to know how durable they are. I guess I'm just getting a bit paranoid about boat-related failures.

One anecdote: I have wire-to-rope(line??) halyards that were on the boat when I purchased and so at least 10 yrs. old, maybe older. Out of caution as opposed to seeing any obvious wear points, I sent them in to West Marine Rigging Services a couple of years ago for replacement. To their credit, WM sent them back to me saying they were just fine. I have roller furling on both my main & headsail so they don't get much movement, and was advised that the wire actually does quite well staying wrapped around the masthead sheave for extended periods of time. I nevertheless bring them down every year & inspect.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Now I'm suspended between my darkest fears and dearest hope
Yes I've been walking, now I'm hanging from a dead man's rope
With Hell below me, and Heaven in the sky above
I've been walking, I've been walking away from Jesus' love
Sting - Dead Man's Rope
Old 04-05-2015, 02:12   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dockhead, given you current location in the Channel Islands, I would wander over to the local fishing boats and swop the ropes for a good selection of fresh fish and then dine in style. Freezing some down would be good for the trip up channel, especially as Guernsey has that super fish market on the commerclal quay, one of our favourites.

Pete

Tags
rope

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: