Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2017, 12:34   #31

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: What do you all think

Sound advice. I'm hoping I have the common sense to read the weather and have the tri up ahead of time. As I've aged, my balance isn't what it use to be.

I already purchased a couple sets of knee pads, in anticipation of speed crawling forward to,work. Sounds silly, but sure saves the knees. We have some friends who have what they call their storm kit. Knee pads, elbow pads, and bump helmets. Skate board helmets. Apparently they were this stuff, in a blow.

I recently purchased a balance board to,work with regaining my balance. It's a circle of fancy ply wood, with a peg centered and about 5 inchs off the floor. Seems to help. Ya stand on it and balance.

What do you think about the idea of replacing the life lines, with hard rails? Was thinking that I would benifit from hard rails for moving fore/aft, and wold give me more room for solar and other needed stuff.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:47   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheintz View Post
A good set of used storm sails is the way to go. Cheap, probably not used too much, and a potential life saver.

Big mistake some people make is getting a storm sail that is too large! I speak from experience. I wish it had been about 1/2 the size.. when it blows really, really hard, you want less not more.

Also, while on the topic, if you are in a place where there's a lot of heavy weather sailing, think about a second reef on the main. Saved my bacon a time or two... well, at least made sailing much more pleasant.

I think it's a good idea to always have an extra sail or two around.... I'm amazed by the folks that think a roll of sail tape is all that's needed in an emergency!
My boat came with a 150 sq ft 'storm jib'.... way too big ... as my sailmaker said ' a pre Fastnet 79 storm jib'.
Bought a 100 sq ft one..... still too big
Bought a 50sq ft one.....

I buy a smaller storm jib... they send along a bigger storm ....

All get used ... the big one as a small working jib esp off the wind... beats a deeply furled jib way up in the sky.
Old 26-01-2017, 12:55   #33

You need heavy cloth and multi stitching for a storm sail. They are often available used (but actually are unused) quite cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 13:13   #34

I did purchase a new main. Gave PEAK sails a try, I had heard some horrible stuff, so I thought, what the heck, lets given them a shot.

The gentleman who set me up in Maryland was awesome. After my VA disability discount, the new main sail was right at 1000.00. I was skeptical, but I'm a guy with constant good karma.

The sails arrived quickly, and upon close inspection appear to be a fantastic sail. Now I've not sailed em yet. But I felt I got a swinging deal, a great price and quick service.

It's true that the loft was in Hong Kong, but the stitching seems above average, the thread is stout, and the materialis what I ordered. Nothing fancy, just a plain sail, which is what I wanted.

I'm thinking if I can't find a set of tri storm sails by the end of next month, I'll commission PEAK to make the storm sails as well.

Dirk
Old 26-01-2017, 13:16   #35

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Again this was a FREE boat, I've got 10.000 imto now,,and well on my way to 20k by end of summer.
Been down the 'free boat' path a couple of times in the past 40 years of owning boats.. I've found there is no such thing as a free boat!

My best friend gave me his Carolina Skiff saying "It only needs a battery." A little over $2K later I was actually able to tow it to the water and get it started. This was the cheapest free boat I was ever given.
Old 26-01-2017, 13:17   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dirk asked, "What do you think about the idea of replacing the life lines, with hard rails? Was thinking that I would benifit from hard rails for moving fore/aft, and wold give me more room for solar and other needed stuff?"

I have seen that done. My personal opinion is that you would be better served by a centerline jackline to clip on to. The rail gets wet and slippery from the spray, it is hazardous (ime) to trust it. We have never worn bump gear. Knee pads a good idea, they were part of my kit when i was racing. They get wet and salty, but offer lots of protection.

Ann
Old 26-01-2017, 13:59   #37

Not to sound like a snob, this isn't just any boat. This is a Hallberg RASSY 33 Mistral. In great condition.

But I get your point. I could have just added the boom and a used main, for 400.00 and off I go.

I want to do this HR33 right. I'm retired have a decent funding source, and am having fun. Isn't that what it's all about, fun and adventure. Building her, IS apart of the adventure, for me.

although I have a functional head, I'll be paying off and installing my composting head, early next month.

I still have my eye on a water maker from Richards company.
I've for a refer, but the compressor makes a lot of noise. I need to square that away.

Finishing up my ground tackle kit.

My budget is another 10k, to,make her what I want her to be.

Again thank,you,all for your guidance. I really do appriciate your wisdom.

Dirk
Old 26-01-2017, 14:03   #38

Ann, I wasn't planning on running my saftey lines down the sides, but center line like you suggest. I've " read" that life lines are difficult to manage if one goes overboard. I think it was Kenomac who did a short statement. Even had pics.

Like Don said, man/monkey, if I can learn from others mistakes, I'm miles ahead.

I'm also following a couple blogs for sailing tips and what's working.

Thanks.

Dirk
Old 26-01-2017, 15:00   #39

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The first thing my wife asked for was a rigid rail instead of a floppy lifeline around the cockpit. She is new to the sailing thing. I considered it but in my case there are many times I like to be able unclip the lifeline to reach overboard to grab something or to make it easier to board. With more freeboard then it seems a reasonable idea. So in my case I have occasionally slid a pvc pipe with a foam covering over the lifeline around the cockpit. It's not totally rigid but it has a more secure feel and you can lean against it in a little more comfort.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:22   #40

The solid rail idea, would fit a couple of my needs. I want to do solar. I'd really really like to not put a tower on the back of the boat. I've got a monitor, self steer unit, I'll eventually apply to the stern.

I like the idea of keeping the vane attached to the lower unit. Not off to the side. If I could use a solid rail at least in the stern area, I'd have enough area to mount 3 or 4 panels down low, and out of the way. Outboard of the rail.

The ability to quickly remove those panels is critical, if I need to strip the boat for a storm. Right now I've got like literally between 20 and 30 100w, renorgy panels in my shed, " it's a prepper thing"

So if I could mount four total, two on each side, I'd have 400w of solar, until I upgrade to 200 w panels. I'll add two more batteries to my existing batteries, for power storage., already have all the controllers wire and gauges.

thanks again.

Dirk
Old 26-01-2017, 18:16   #41

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Call Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies in Annapolis before you do. They are a marine consignment shop, as well as being a sail maker, and the back warehouse, stuffed with used sails, is enormous, looks like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

They have storm sails, and some that are used but have never actually been used. Know a few people who have picked one up for cheap.

I have to disagree with Uncivilized on the cut/sizing issue. Storm jibs are small, and it's not critical that it be closely matched to your boat or rig. It's easy to change the pennants to fit.

Make sure you buy one that has rings on the luff if you have a furler.
Nice info

Can get a storm sail for a 30 ft Tartan for $250 to 350
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 18:31   #42

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Solid rails were first priority for me.

Old 26-01-2017, 18:40   #43

Boat: Pearson

it will probably blow out. storm sails need to be at least 7.5 to 10 weight, have a high foot so your not sucking suds. first determine the square footage you need , size of boat. go to mastheadsailgear.com, many options, much better than minnies and much cheaper. uncivilized has good advice. imagine being on the bow in storm sail situation gathering in a tatered storm sail... Id rather be sitting in the cockpit in foul weather gear sipping rum...
Old 27-01-2017, 01:34   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dirk, not sure what the North 140% sail is going to do for you. You already have two large genoas and a light air sail. Use the money to have a third set of reefing points put into the new Peak main.

If you're still thinking about the North sail, then a 100% jib might be more useful for windy conditions.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote