Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 10:00   #31

Boat: Able 50
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

The reefing lines don't seem to have any tie down points on the boom. Are there any fittings on the other side of the boom?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The reefing lines don't seem to have any tie down points on the boom. Are there any fittings on the other side of the boom?
They have cam cleats in the boom. Mine like that had a backup cleat on the mast under the boom.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:42   #33

Boat: Able 50

There should be two tie down points for the reefing lines near the aft end of the boom. In the alternative you can have slots in the sail cloth but I don't see those either.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:43   #34

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
They have cam cleats in the boom. Mine like that had a backup cleat on the mast under the boom.
He's talking about the aft end. The sail isn't loose footed so he can't tie around the boom. Hopefully there are eye straps on the other side of the boom, or he has to tie to the end of the boom or to the sail, neither of which is satisfactory, boom sags and too much foot tension.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 19:31   #35

Tie downs, eye straps? Don't think there's anything on other side of boom
Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 19:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
No. Not that I ever noticed
Old 30-06-2016, 20:33   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
No. Not that I ever noticed
In which case, you would need to attach the ends of the reefing lines to the cringles. That will give you a very sub-optimal direction of clew loading when reefed -you need to consider some sort of strop which you can tighten through the cringle and around the boom when reefed.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 22:54   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
In which case, you would need to attach the ends of the reefing lines to the cringles. That will give you a very sub-optimal direction of clew loading when reefed -you need to consider some sort of strop which you can tighten through the cringle and around the boom when reefed.
Crikeys, Stu, why can't our newbie screw two eye straps/padeyes/saddles to the side of the boom? Pretty basic job, less t han 10 bucks in parts and perhaps a half hour labor time, and then it will be done right.

Jim
Old 30-06-2016, 23:15   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Crikeys, Stu, why can't our newbie screw two eye straps/padeyes/saddles to the side of the boom? Pretty basic job, less t han 10 bucks in parts and perhaps a half hour labor time, and then it will be done right.

Jim
True! I should have thought of that.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 23:40   #40

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Only photo I've found of a Laguna 24S under sail shows the reefing line for the first reef running directly to the boom end fitting.

See: LAGUNA 24S sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Perhaps the boat and mainsail was designed that way for convenience. And it might deliver acceptable performance.

Note that the PO has been working through his issues - whoever sold him the boat apparently assured him it was "fully functional" as is.

See: Rigging my Laguna 24 - SailNet Community

I suspect now is not the time to push the Micheal, the PO, into modifying his Laguna 24S without taking the trouble first to understand how a Laguna 24S was designed to be rigged and reefed.
Old 30-06-2016, 23:47   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Only photo I've found of a Laguna 24S under sail shows the reefing line for the first reef running directly to the boom end fitting.

See: LAGUNA 24S sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Perhaps the boat and mainsail was designed that way for convenience. And it might deliver acceptable performance.

Note that the PO has been working through his issues - whoever sold him the boat apparently assured him it was "fully functional" as is.

See: Rigging my Laguna 24 - SailNet Community

I suspect now is not the time to push the Micheal, the PO, into modifying his Laguna 24S without taking the trouble first to understand how a Laguna 24S was designed to be rigged and reefed.
That's not a great pic of the reefing line, but it appears to me that it runs from t he sheave in t he boom cap through the cringle and likely then down to the boom behind the sail. If it terminated at the cringle it would not do a satisfactory job of reefing at all. What I describe is a common and successful way to rig clew reefing lines... I use three such lines on our boom.

I don't think our advice is ill considered.

Jim
Old 01-07-2016, 01:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That's not a great pic of the reefing line, but it appears to me that it runs from t he sheave in t he boom cap through the cringle and likely then down to the boom behind the sail. If it terminated at the cringle it would not do a satisfactory job of reefing at all. What I describe is a common and successful way to rig clew reefing lines... I use three such lines on our boom.

I don't think our advice is ill considered.

Jim
Would a better pic of sail be beneficial?

I have no problem modifying the boat but I would like to see for myself why a engineered design isn't in itself optimal. I already have cam cleats on the way for forsail sheets (found out I don't like the horn cleats).

I am reading all post and sincerely appreciate all the help so please don't think I'm a lost cause lol. I'm getting there. Just taking longer than I figured.

I have a friend at local slip. I asked him to look at my rigging, turns out he knows less than me :/.
I also called previous owner who was originally going to "show me the ropes" but it seems now he's got better things to do :/
Old 01-07-2016, 08:26   #43

I sometimes see just a bowline/loop tied around the boom, but the foot of this mainsail is not on slides... soo hmmm... You could just tie a stopper knot at the cringle, but that's not too good for the pull direction on the sail, the reef line want to pull it entirely aft.... not good.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35   #44

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

I have no problem modifying the boat but I would like to see for myself why a engineered design isn't in itself optimal. I already have cam cleats on the way for forsail sheets (found out I don't like the horn cleats).

I am reading all post and sincerely appreciate all the help so please don't think I'm a lost cause lol. I'm getting there. Just taking longer than I figured.

I have a friend at local slip. I asked him to look at my rigging, turns out he knows less than me :/.
I also called previous owner who was originally going to "show me the ropes" but it seems now he's got better things to do :/
I would adhere to Jim's advice.
In your slip, play with your mainsail and see where exactly the cringles in your sail are in relation to the boom.
Attach two padeyes/cleats/whatever exactly under the two cringles.
This will ensure a correct line angle for the reefing lines when they travel down from the cringles.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31   #45

Quote:

Unfortunately most boats don't come completely ready to use or pre engineered. There are many options on how people want their reefing and other things so maybe that is why. It could be the reefs have never been used on a smaller boat like yours.
Use your boat some before changing things too much. DO you have primary winches for the headsail? Not sure how you will use camcleats for that, so take your time and think it thru before you start drilling!!