Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 11:00   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

The reefing lines don't seem to have any tie down points on the boom. Are there any fittings on the other side of the boom?
__________________

__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:25   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,355
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The reefing lines don't seem to have any tie down points on the boom. Are there any fittings on the other side of the boom?
They have cam cleats in the boom. Mine like that had a backup cleat on the mast under the boom.
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:42   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

There should be two tie down points for the reefing lines near the aft end of the boom. In the alternative you can have slots in the sail cloth but I don't see those either.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:43   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal 40
Posts: 2,401
Images: 7
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
They have cam cleats in the boom. Mine like that had a backup cleat on the mast under the boom.
He's talking about the aft end. The sail isn't loose footed so he can't tie around the boom. Hopefully there are eye straps on the other side of the boom, or he has to tie to the end of the boom or to the sail, neither of which is satisfactory, boom sags and too much foot tension.
__________________
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 20:31   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 36
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Tie downs, eye straps? Don't think there's anything on other side of boom
__________________
Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 20:31   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 36
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The reefing lines don't seem to have any tie down points on the boom. Are there any fittings on the other side of the boom?
No. Not that I ever noticed
__________________
Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 21:33   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,711
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
No. Not that I ever noticed
In which case, you would need to attach the ends of the reefing lines to the cringles. That will give you a very sub-optimal direction of clew loading when reefed -you need to consider some sort of strop which you can tighten through the cringle and around the boom when reefed.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 23:54   #38
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
In which case, you would need to attach the ends of the reefing lines to the cringles. That will give you a very sub-optimal direction of clew loading when reefed -you need to consider some sort of strop which you can tighten through the cringle and around the boom when reefed.
Crikeys, Stu, why can't our newbie screw two eye straps/padeyes/saddles to the side of the boom? Pretty basic job, less t han 10 bucks in parts and perhaps a half hour labor time, and then it will be done right.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 00:15   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,711
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Crikeys, Stu, why can't our newbie screw two eye straps/padeyes/saddles to the side of the boom? Pretty basic job, less t han 10 bucks in parts and perhaps a half hour labor time, and then it will be done right.

Jim
True! I should have thought of that.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 00:40   #40
Registered User
 
Alan Mighty's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Scarborough Marina, Moreton Bay
Posts: 659
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Only photo I've found of a Laguna 24S under sail shows the reefing line for the first reef running directly to the boom end fitting.

See: LAGUNA 24S sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com


Perhaps the boat and mainsail was designed that way for convenience. And it might deliver acceptable performance.


Note that the PO has been working through his issues - whoever sold him the boat apparently assured him it was "fully functional" as is.



See: Rigging my Laguna 24 - SailNet Community


I suspect now is not the time to push the Micheal, the PO, into modifying his Laguna 24S without taking the trouble first to understand how a Laguna 24S was designed to be rigged and reefed.
__________________
“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.” - Otto von Bismarck
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 00:47   #41
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Only photo I've found of a Laguna 24S under sail shows the reefing line for the first reef running directly to the boom end fitting.

See: LAGUNA 24S sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com


Perhaps the boat and mainsail was designed that way for convenience. And it might deliver acceptable performance.


Note that the PO has been working through his issues - whoever sold him the boat apparently assured him it was "fully functional" as is.



See: Rigging my Laguna 24 - SailNet Community


I suspect now is not the time to push the Micheal, the PO, into modifying his Laguna 24S without taking the trouble first to understand how a Laguna 24S was designed to be rigged and reefed.
That's not a great pic of the reefing line, but it appears to me that it runs from t he sheave in t he boom cap through the cringle and likely then down to the boom behind the sail. If it terminated at the cringle it would not do a satisfactory job of reefing at all. What I describe is a common and successful way to rig clew reefing lines... I use three such lines on our boom.

I don't think our advice is ill considered.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:58   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 36
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That's not a great pic of the reefing line, but it appears to me that it runs from t he sheave in t he boom cap through the cringle and likely then down to the boom behind the sail. If it terminated at the cringle it would not do a satisfactory job of reefing at all. What I describe is a common and successful way to rig clew reefing lines... I use three such lines on our boom.

I don't think our advice is ill considered.

Jim
Would a better pic of sail be beneficial?

I have no problem modifying the boat but I would like to see for myself why a engineered design isn't in itself optimal. I already have cam cleats on the way for forsail sheets (found out I don't like the horn cleats).

I am reading all post and sincerely appreciate all the help so please don't think I'm a lost cause lol. I'm getting there. Just taking longer than I figured.

I have a friend at local slip. I asked him to look at my rigging, turns out he knows less than me :/.
I also called previous owner who was originally going to "show me the ropes" but it seems now he's got better things to do :/
__________________
Mrdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26   #43
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,355
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

I sometimes see just a bowline/loop tied around the boom, but the foot of this mainsail is not on slides... soo hmmm... You could just tie a stopper knot at the cringle, but that's not too good for the pull direction on the sail, the reef line want to pull it entirely aft.... not good.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:35   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boat in Turkey, Beach cat in Israel
Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Posts: 627
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
Would a better pic of sail be beneficial?

I have no problem modifying the boat but I would like to see for myself why a engineered design isn't in itself optimal. I already have cam cleats on the way for forsail sheets (found out I don't like the horn cleats).

I am reading all post and sincerely appreciate all the help so please don't think I'm a lost cause lol. I'm getting there. Just taking longer than I figured.

I have a friend at local slip. I asked him to look at my rigging, turns out he knows less than me :/.
I also called previous owner who was originally going to "show me the ropes" but it seems now he's got better things to do :/
I would adhere to Jim's advice.
In your slip, play with your mainsail and see where exactly the cringles in your sail are in relation to the boom.
Attach two padeyes/cleats/whatever exactly under the two cringles.
This will ensure a correct line angle for the reefing lines when they travel down from the cringles.
__________________
Mark, S/Y Bat-Yam
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:31   #45
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,355
Re: What are the 3 lines exiting the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdouble View Post
Would a better pic of sail be beneficial?

I have no problem modifying the boat but I would like to see for myself why a engineered design isn't in itself optimal. I already have cam cleats on the way for forsail sheets (found out I don't like the horn cleats).

I am reading all post and sincerely appreciate all the help so please don't think I'm a lost cause lol. I'm getting there. Just taking longer than I figured.

I have a friend at local slip. I asked him to look at my rigging, turns out he knows less than me :/.
I also called previous owner who was originally going to "show me the ropes" but it seems now he's got better things to do :/
Unfortunately most boats don't come completely ready to use or pre engineered. There are many options on how people want their reefing and other things so maybe that is why. It could be the reefs have never been used on a smaller boat like yours.
Use your boat some before changing things too much. DO you have primary winches for the headsail? Not sure how you will use camcleats for that, so take your time and think it thru before you start drilling!!
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-stringing lines in Boom Rex Delay Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 15 15-11-2014 00:38
VAT Refund Possible When Exiting EU ? svBeBe Europe & Mediterranean 60 08-09-2011 05:01
Exiting California - Tax Question TugTubPaul Dollars & Cents 9 06-09-2010 17:50
Reefing Lines in the Boom alexharris Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 18-01-2010 05:54
Problems exiting the dock, help please...... alameda Seamanship & Boat Handling 42 03-07-2008 10:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.