Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 08:44   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Water at mast base, through deck construction

Hello, I am aware that this issue prob has been talked about a lot, but just looking for some hints and tips: water (rain and spray) eventualy gets down to the mast base (Fast 345). What are the simple/practical solutions to: stop this water coming in, and if it cant be stopped, what would be a good way of collecting and leading into to the bilge rather than get my floor moist and dirty.
Many thanks in advance.
Best rgds and fair winds
Pieter
SV Lumina - Brazil
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:23   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Water at mast base, through deck construction

Deck stepped or keel stepped...?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:29   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Pieter - I have the same problem but the bolts holding the cast aluminum mast base were not sealed well and allowed water thru the fiberglass. To solve it, I had to remove the mast and after a lot of work, finally the mast base. My base had slot to drain the water but only where the mast section actually set. The center was open. You must be sure the material under the mast base is dry and them I would countersink the holes and apply a liberal layer of butyl caulk before reassembling. You MUST stop any water from coming thru.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:54   #4

Is it coming down the outside or inside of the mast?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:43   #5

Boat: Pearson 365

I have the same on my Pearson where the water sits in the bilge and has caused some corrosion due to neglect by previous owner. I learned from Pearson forum is mast gets pulled and a new base is added to lift mast above bilge floor, 4 inches I think. It seems like this is a common problem of old Pearsons. Check the owners sites for solutions.
Franst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cherubini 37

I just reseated my mast on my Cherubini 37 after MUCH research. I finally chose to thoroughly remove all previous sealant. It was a mess and required a lot of scraping, picking, and cleaning. I then used butyl windshield tape, exterior flexible caulk, and spray "Flex-Seal." Of course, the mast boot covers all of the stuffing. I had a dependable leak before the repair and it is completely dry now. Good luck with your repair. Feel free to email if I can be of any assistance.
daniellmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 14:41   #7

the water is coming in through the opening for you internal halyard cutouts in the mast and should be finding its way to the mas step before it comes out unless your mast boot at the partners is bad, not much you can do about that.
don't you have a 1/4 to 3/8inch hole drilled in the heel t direct the water out I lay a sponge on my step directly in front of the drain hole and it catches most of it
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 16:23   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Since the OP's listed boat is an FP, it is a catamaran, and its mast will be deck stepped.

I suspect the water is getting below through any of the deck penetrations. Make sure the drain that it has is free of cludge that blocks it, but you're going to need to address all the penetrations, and coincidentally assure yourself that no damage has been done there.

For living with water getting below, it's anything you can figure out that will work, but solving the problem really does mean addressing the cause.
Old 26-01-2016, 16:46   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Our mast rests on a keel step. We have in-mast roller furling. This means the mast extrusion is divided into a forward part for halyards and conduits and the aft section for the furler. The aft side has a deflector to force water onto the deck. The forward section does not. We ship up to 15 gallons through the halyard openings and the mast top in any good rain. I finally built a dike around the mast step with a drain to a 5/8 inch hose barb. The hose takes the water directly to the bilge so the sole of the boat stays dry. If you cannot find a direct drain rout you could add a local sump and pump at the mast.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 01:18   #10
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for your message. Will check the possibilities.Best rgds
Pieter
Old 27-01-2016, 01:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Since the OP's listed boat is an FP, it is a catamaran, and its mast will be deck stepped.

I suspect the water is getting below through any of the deck penetrations. Make sure the drain that it has is free of cludge that blocks it, but you're going to need to address all the penetrations, and coincidentally assure yourself that no damage has been done there.

For living with water getting below, it's anything you can figure out that will work, but solving the problem really does mean addressing the cause.
thank you Ann T Cate... Yes i do live on a FP Cat, and have no issue with water getting through etc. My question was regarding a monohull that was offered to me. Anway thanks.
Old 27-01-2016, 01:26   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
the water is coming in through the opening for you internal halyard cutouts in the mast and should be finding its way to the mas step before it comes out unless your mast boot at the partners is bad, not much you can do about that.
don't you have a 1/4 to 3/8inch hole drilled in the heel t direct the water out I lay a sponge on my step directly in front of the drain hole and it catches most of it
Ok.. got it. yes i believe it comes through the cutouts of halyards etc...Somebody suggested to fibre glass around the base but i dont see how that will solve the situation. Will study other possibilities. Thanks
Old 27-01-2016, 01:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Deck stepped or keel stepped...?
Keel stepped
Old 27-01-2016, 01:28   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Is it coming down the outside or inside of the mast?
Inside the mast
Old 27-01-2016, 01:28   #15

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

FP 40? well like other poster point the only way the water can found a path is through the mast step , dont be surprise to found small amounts of dry caulquing through the holes, also some deck steps masts have a slot path to drain the step and others dont, i make dozens of this slots with a dremel in new steps when they come from factory without nothing , so your best bet i guess is to unstep the mast, disconect the step and recaulk the whole thing,,, other cheaper option can be to recaulk the screw holes one by one but i dont recomend it since is very easy to get leaks in a short future,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, mast, water