Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 20:34   #1

Want to fly a cruising shute

Hi I am equipping a Nicholson 32 for extended shorthanded sailing. I am trying to work out the best approach to the foredeck layout. One of the issues i have where to tether the foot of the light air shoot. given the pullpit layout there is no room to attach a +++light air sail. I like the idea of the shute sock method as I think it will pack down to less when not being used.
I am considering the addition of an inner stay for heavy weather and see no room for another for a light air sail.
I have heard of a removable bowsprit extension. Anyway has anyone else had this sort of issue and if so what did you come up with . Any thoughts...?
Smudge601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 06:45   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Want to fly a cruising shute

Shute? Shoot?
Lol, try chute.

You might consider using an ATN Tacker (I hope that's the name). Attach the chute to a deck fitting with a strap of some sort. The Tacker wraps around the furled jib.
This may preclude the use of a snuffer. But maybe not.
Old 29-06-2016, 07:01   #3

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

You mean like this one,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101 (2).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	127130  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 07:26   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Smudge,

It all depends on what kite you want and how many of them. An upwind and reaching kite can be flown from any point inside the rail, ahead of your forestay.

A deep reaching kite will be blanketed though the sooner the closer to the mast it is set. And so some people fly them from shorter or longer bowsprits of various designs. E.g. Mini class boats may have sprits that can be pulled to the windward.

Another option is a windward floating kite (like e.g. G 2 & 3 series from N/S). These avoid the shade by floating over to the windward. Check out Webb Chiles site, I think he is using one of them.

Otherwise, sailing deep, you may drop the main one reef. This opens the space at the top and may help. But it does limit the power in your main off the wind engine.

Your boat was designed in the era when sail layouts were different from what is available today. The designer thought about a wing and wing or a spinnaker set up likely, not a kite setup. It is to some extent dictated to where the mast is and where the beam is. Mast well aft and plenty of beam help flying the kites.

Plenty can be done, but not to the level of a modern hull. Depending on your intention and the depth of your pocket, you may want to move the forestay back (and down) by about 2 feet, flying a zero jib (very light genoa) on the outer stay and a heavier 'blade' jib on the inner. This is a 3-sail boat then. The kite would be either a G2 or G3 flown either from the sock, or (given the small size of your boat) plainly off the hand (bag). A furler may be used on the G sail but it can also just as easily be lowered under the main (a free footed main assumed).

Think about the winds you are most likely to sail long periods in, then chose your guns. One at a time.

If you are solo, a quality AP is your friend for hoists and drops of the kite.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 07:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
You might consider using an ATN Tacker (I hope that's the name). Attach the chute to a deck fitting with a strap of some sort. The Tacker wraps around the furled jib.
This may preclude the use of a snuffer. But maybe not.
I am a fan of the ATN and dousing bags /snuffers. They have not interfered with each other.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:11   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I am a fan of the ATN and dousing bags /snuffers. They have not interfered with each other.
Same here. We have used our cruising chute/spinnaker on a tack pendant to get it clear of the pulpit. We run the sheets back to the stern quarters and forward through blocks to the secondary winches.

The main issue is preventering (I suppose that's a verb!) the main but being alert for wind shifts that go too deep for the chute or strengthen overmuch. Sometimes we just center the main for stability and ride the chute alone. It's great for light-air days and you can keep moving placidly.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Same here. We have used our cruising chute/spinnaker on a tack pendant to get it clear of the pulpit. We run the sheets back to the stern quarters and forward through blocks to the secondary winches.

The main issue is preventering (I suppose that's a verb!) the main but being alert for wind shifts that go too deep for the chute or strengthen overmuch. Sometimes we just center the main for stability and ride the chute alone. It's great for light-air days and you can keep moving placidly.
Moi aussi.

I strongly recommend keeping the main up. Centering it can be beneficial. But getting a chute down as the wind picks up is darned hard, unless you can blanket it with the main.
Old 29-06-2016, 09:18   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Asymmetrics or cruising spinnakers are very different from standard spinnakers. The tack line runs to the bow. I rigged my asymmetric to my anchor roller getting 18" separation from the forestay and run the tack line back to the mast. I investigated add on bow sprits and there are a number that look good. I don't see why removable is a plus unless your concerned about marina per foot fees. As a single hander I suggest you use a snuffer. Keep in mind these are light air sails. When the wind starts gusting over 10, I take it down and use the jib.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:25   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I am also a fan of the ATN Tacker and sock. I mostly fly the spinnaker without the main. To douse it, I blow the tack, which de-energizes the Asymmetrical and haul the sock down. I am usually single handling.
Old 29-06-2016, 10:45   #10

Boat: Baltic 52

We use a fairly deep cruising chute (A2 cut) and a Code Zero for closer reaching. We added a removable Banana Sprit (from Forespar), which works great. A sock instead of a bag for each kite, add a whisker pole so we can go deep in light air, and we're launched. BTW, we're both over 60 as cruisers, and I often single hand.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:00   #11

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

I fly mine solo frequently, socks are the answer. Check all the fittings on the pulpit for sharp edges and get rid of them, prior to setting the chute. Make a leader at least six inches longer than the distance from your tack point to the top of your pulpit. Douse the main, having the main up gives you slightly more power, but the first time you are not paying attention the chute will collapse and wrap around the headstay. Without the main up, the chute tends to fly more freely. If you manage to wrap the chute without the main up (very difficult), you may end up pulling up the main to blanket the chute so you can unwrap the mess. I have never had any severe problems dousing the chute in up to 25knots of wind, although you may be lifted off your feet occasionally trying to pull the sock down. Nothing quite beats sitting on the foredeck with a remote pilot, a beer and a drawing chute.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:36   #12

have a cruising A symmetrical with sock tie a line longer than the top of the bow pulpit with a snap shackle at the top for the tack. leave the main up douse the jib pull the sock and off u go up to about 150 degrees down wind or about 70 degrees up wind love that Asem i have also put a pole on the tack and used it as a symmetrical. i also sock it to tack or jibe because it will hang up on everything.
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 15:31   #13

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

we use the spinnaker/ shute when the wind is fluky it saves the flop-flop on the main problem also saves chaff from the main on the spreaders. we have 5 different sizes of spinnaker and they are used for all sorts of positions. the ground zero has a block dangling from the top link on the bobstay which requires one of us going forward and running one of the sheets through the block and back to the cockpit, lock the sheets in loosely and launch the sail as normal by pulling up the halyard

we do similar with the smaller sails using different halyards (have 2 spinnaker halyards ) and can use one for an uphaul on a pole

free flying the shute (running the sheets through blocks towards the pushpit) then looping the ends around the tiller and adjusting for trim on course, the shute steers the boat. in this mode we spend a lot of time watching for squall lines on the water but it works well and saves the batteries from the auto helm (second option)

for shy jibing (to work the boat around a reef or shoal) free flying a small shute using the block on the bowspit and fastening to any point strong enough towards the stern and letting the halyard out to let the sail climb(also works well but hard on the nerve) keeping in mind we are an old wooden boat with most of the weight below the water

to answer your question yes it is possible to use a shute from anything strong enough to take the pressure from the sail once you work out approximate positons dedicated take off points may be fitted
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 19:33   #14

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Look up what a martin breaker is. Very handy for shorthanded stuff. Makes it very easy to blow the tack and depower the sail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-06-2016, 21:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Look up what a martin breaker is. Very handy for shorthanded stuff. Makes it very easy to blow the tack and depower the sail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The ATN tacker can also be blown easily.

Tags
cruising