Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 17:23   #16

Re: UV cover on wrong side of sail

Thanks for all the info. I am going to see if I can find a slightly longer block. I did get a foam luff, so maybe I can get it thrown in for my trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dan
dohagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 02:03   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlumhorst View Post
+1. Removing and Restitching the sacrificial edge cover will not compromise the dacron structurally in any perceptible way.

Judy B
Independent Rep. for a global sail loft
Your kidding right.

Dacron without a row of extra needle holes will be stronger than dacron with a extra row of holes, it is pretty simple. (and yes the sewing machine needle does make holes in the fabric).
Sure its going to be fine for many years and maybe another UV replacement but I have done a a lot of repairs due to stitching holes left over from UV replacement on a lot of sails. Any horizontal rows of holes just above the clew patch or below the head patch where the UV cover was joined are susceptible to tearing. The sail vertical tearing inside the UV cover especially if it is a high aspect dacron and if the new cover wasn't made slightly wider than the old cover. Worse if the cover is sewn or re-sewn with 3 step zig zag as more holes are created.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 11:08   #18

Thanks everyone. I did furl the sail the other way. I bought a new stanchion block that gives me a better lead to the furler and it appears now to work very well.
dohagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail