Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 06:06   #1

Using Hank-On with Furler

OK so my recently purchased C&C 27 came with a furling Genoa. It also has a few extra hank on sails. Storm and could of Jib

am I missing something or am I correct in thinking that obviously the previous owner has not used those extra sails since installing the Furler?

How can the Hank on be used with the furler unless they are all converted ?
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13   #2

unless you have another stay, they can't.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:14   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
you will not be able to use hanks with the foil.

While it's not that difficult for a sailmaker to remove the hanks and install a bolt-rope on the luff, the question is whether the old sails merit the expense.

We've had passionate debates recently about storm jibs that are not hanked on. Neither side, in my opinion, has convinced the other.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:15   #4

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
More detailed discussion of this topic here.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post

Link does not work
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Dennis, Your link shows page not found. Outdoor, it is not unusual for folks to go from hanked on to roller furling and only have one sail set up for the furler and not bother to have the hanked on sails converted, which I suspect is what you are finding. You will need to have them converted if you plan to use them.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:12   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
They cannot. Unless thee is another stay. If there is no such, fit one and off you go.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58   #8

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Sorry, folks. It was a Google return, and a link to this forum. I guess it's an old thread that has fallen off the board.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11   #9

Boat: Rawson 30 Pilothouse - Raven
So, I'm in the same place. I know I can't use my hank-on storm jib because I have a furler, but has anyone tried making a series of sturdy loops that might let the storm jib be raised around the furler? I know there are a couple of options for sale, but wonder if anyone has tried devising their own.
...T
Raven RawsonPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven RawsonPH View Post
So, I'm in the same place. I know I can't use my hank-on storm jib because I have a furler, but has anyone tried making a series of sturdy loops that might let the storm jib be raised around the furler? I know there are a couple of options for sale, but wonder if anyone has tried devising their own.
...T
Raven, If you think about this logically, it would be a very difficult to make something like this work. It would not be easy to raise or lower over an existing sail on the furler, you might get it up the first three feet, and trying to deal with a sail over the furler extrusion without a sail on it would more than likely do some damage to the extrusion. I guess my question is, why not just do it right and have the sail modified to work on the furler and be done correctly. It will cost less.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 12-05-2010, 12:25   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven RawsonPH View Post
...T
Raven--

Take a look at the ATN Gale Sail (see http://http://www.atninc.com/gale_en.php ). ATN can convert your existing Storm Jib by the addition a flap to secure around your furled jib very inexpensively. I had that done to our Storm Jib and it works very well.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30   #12

Have you actually used this? I have seen it over the years but have not encountered anyone that used it. Their claim is that it slides easily because Dacron over Dacron is slippery, but roller furling has Sunbrella sacrificial strips and your sheets wrapped around it when you are trying to raise it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 12-05-2010, 13:33   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Have you actually used this? I have seen it over the years but have not encountered anyone that used it. Their claim is that it slides easily because Dacron over Dacron is slippery, but roller furling has Sunbrella sacrificial strips and your sheets wrapped around it when you are trying to raise it.
Works as advertised. It help's to have the sail folded and bagged properly so one can hank it on from the bottom up while the bulk of the sail is still in the bag (the tack is on a pendant that gets secured to a pad-eye just aft of the furling drum to raise the foot of the sail above the pulpit once it's hoisted). We also have dedicated storm sheets secured to the clew in the bag that are run through fairleads beforehand. In our case our fairleads are two snatch-blocks that, when needed, are secured to the toe-rails in pre-marked positions as we wouldn't need/want the sail sheeted to our inboard tracks. The sail bag needs snaps to allow it to be fastened to the pulpit or toe-rails so it doesn't go AWOL while you're leading the sheets or hanking on the sail. Of course, you also need a spare halyard (as we're set up for racing we have several). Generally you'll be running off when you hoist so the sail will be covered by the main to some extent. You'll also need to have regular jib sheets coiled in a spiral around the furled sail, down to the drum but that only requires two extra turns. I have a strap with velcro on both sides tied to the sail bag and I pass that around the furled jib and sheets at the drum to hold the sheets in place. Once the storm jib is hoisted, the flap on that keeps everything tight around the headstay.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 15:44   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
Why not just give up on the hanks and have a sailmaker mow in a proper bolt rope for the furler? Drop the big sail, feed in the jib and off you go. The jib will not furl nicely, but you can use it all out, or drop it, or furl it all the way in too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 18:17   #15

Boat: Rawson 30 Pilothouse - Raven
HyLyte,
Thanks for the great description. Sounds like it does work. Thus, I would like to make a similar harness for my hank-on storm sail so I can use it should I need to. The sail I have, has piston hanks every three feet in its 14 foot luff. How are the connections spaced on your ATN model? I'm trying to decide whether I can make one myself versus paying $22 per foot for them to convert mine.
Also, you say you use different sheets. Why can I not simply tie a safety closure to my genoa sheet attachment point, then unsnap the sheet connection and use the same one on my storm jib. Any reason for not doing that?
Thanks for any suggestions.
...T
Raven RawsonPH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler