Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 23:58   #1

Use weather cloth as storage

It would be nice to free som space below deck by removing the stormjib. It would also be good to bring the spinnaker on the next trip, but I´ve got no space for it.
When I thought about to make weather cloths I realised that it could be possible to turn them into storage for small/lightweight sails. Make the sides in two pieces with a third piece to keep them apart. Zipper under so it won´t come in too much water. The seams will be sealed.
Anyone who have tried this or have any thoughts about it?
Arrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:58   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Use weather cloth as storage

Can't you leave the sailnonnthe cabin floor or on a berth ?
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Can't you leave the sailnonnthe cabin floor or on a berth ?
Unfortunately not. The pilot berth is full and the forepeak is used for sleeping. The cabin floor is used for walking.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:46   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Arrandir, your idea of building weather cloth with storage sounds like a good use of space. Likewise, storage bags can be made to hold your sails compactly in other places on deck.

My thought would be include some way to insure the bags drain easily should they take water from the sea or the rain. I might also include some heavy mesh out of the sun that provides ventilation.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:57   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I would prefer to store sails on the flood than on deck , storing them on deck will reduce their life expectancy.
What you have in the bank ? No space in the lockers ? Why not sharing the double berth with the sails ?
My boat is 26 feet and I have enouph space for provisions personal items and 2 spinnakers 2 Genoa's 2.majnsails one storm sail.and storm trysail .
I think is better to do your best to fit them inside before you try store them on deck
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:48   #6

Boat: J/42

Storm jib & spinnaker = throw-pillows.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If the puffy bags that you'll have on the life lines around the cockpit it may be doable though I wouldn't want to use the Weather Bags for long term stowage. Water will get in and Mildew will happen. We tied sails in bags on the cabin top when cruising. Kept them out of the way for most things and didn't cost anything to do it. The only problem is I used the nylon sail bags they came in and the UV got to the bags in a year in the tropics.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:33   #8

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

I think you have a great idea. put the zipper on the top with a flap to cover the teeth. Put drains on the bottom and make it out of sunbrella
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 13:09   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Years ago, I made sunbrella sail bags for on deck sail storage, for the genoa and staysail. The spinnaker always lived below. I made the lid for the spinnaker turtle out of sunbrella, as well, because the bag spent some time clipped onto the lifelines, and as roverhi indicated, the tropical sun causes nylon to fail.

If you're interested to pursue this avenue for making space, send me a PM, and we can have a chat about everything involved: they have to be secured well enough to withstand waves striking them, and the closure method is also critical for security.

Ann
Old 06-03-2019, 17:01   #10

Making weather clothes heavier or stiffer than they normally are might lead to bent pulpits/stanchions if you take a big wave. I saw a boat with bent stanchions from nice tightly attached weather clothes and after that I attached mine with shock cord. I would think you would be better off with cabin top bags with good tie downs and some type of grate under the bags to allow for run off and air circulation. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 22:04   #11

Thanks for all the opinions about this.
I will see what I will do.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:22   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Your profile doesn't say what type/size of boat you have, but if you fold your sails, they take up very little space. If your boat is small, you might consider using the vee for storage and the quarter berth for sleeping.

When I crossed the Atlantic on a Swan 48, the owner had 13 extra sails aboard. It was all the storm sails and older sails that had been replaced by new sails, but where still in good condition. When I suggested he get rid of a few (or 10) of them, he was indignant! "Do you know how much they cost?" he yelled! And although we had every sort of wind condition you could imagine, none of the storm sails or smaller headsails ever made an appearance on deck. We did set a spinnaker, a decade old but never even unfolded from the sailmaker. The steadying affect on the boat was dramatic. And the skipper insisted we keep it up, even when the wind increased. We later filled the sailbag with the colourful scraps of sailcloth remaining after the sail exploded in a sudden squall.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, weather