Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 21:02   #1

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Unjamming Harken Headsail Furler

Hi folks...

I learned a lesson today - I let the furler line get out of control when deploying the headsail. Had a nice day cruising the mighty Saratoga Passage... then went to anchor and could not fully furl the sail. About 30% was stuck flapping in the breeze, so after poking ineffectually at some badly wrapped furling line in the drum, I manually wrestled it around and tied it off to the pulpit. No immediate danger.

Now I'm at anchor, trying to figure out how to proceed. The most promising avenue seems to be to wait for still air, then remove the basket from the drum to let me get at the mess within.

The question: is there any reason NOT to do this? There are three round-head screws that appear to hold the stainless basket to the drum... is anything catastrophic going to occur if I drop it while fully rigged? Hopefully just a dumb question, but I've never probed too deeply into one of these before.

The attached photo doesn't show the jam itself; this is after I manually wrapped it and tied it off. I just include it to show the furler flavor.

Many thanks for any thoughts, and I'll report the results....

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furler-jammed.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	8898  
Old 10-07-2009, 21:18   #2

Boat: Gullfstar 50
I am eager for your replies. I have a Harken that was jammed due to lack of use before I bought her. I 'unjammed' by applying some torque. It worked fairly well after that, but I will be taking it apart for some much needed service. Good luck with the 'jammin'
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 21:28   #3

Boat: Gullfstar 50
I believe that the outer 'basket' is just to maintain the line on the drum. It doesn't serve any purpose other than that. Be careful not to drop any parts over the side. A sheet or tarp around the work area might help prevent that. Here is a link to the Harken site that has an extensive library of manuals.
Harken Manuals
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:35   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I think its like when a fishing reel goets away on you. Ya just have to slowly and painstakingly unthread it.
Thats beofre I'd try pulling the drum apart. But others or the manual may know better

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You can remove the furling drum, but I doubt it’s neccesary.

To clear furling line problems (wraps, tangles, too much/little line), remove the sheets and rotate entire assembly (drum & foil) to remove furling line from drum. Rewind with some tension.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:48   #6

Found a good photo-essay on the furler over here - after coffee I'll give it a go. I don't expect to remove the drum, but taking off the basket should let me get my hands on the tangled line. I'll post the results.

A lesson a day, at least! Paradoxically, that's why I love the boat life.

Steve
Old 12-07-2009, 18:50   #7

Follow-up: removing the basket surrounding the drum was easy, and exposed the tangle... at which point clearing the jam was about a 3-minute job. Ready to sail again!

Steve
Old 16-07-2009, 11:44   #8

Reply from Harken

Hello Microship
My name is Jim Bourne & I'm the leader of the Harken Tech service department. Sorry to hear you were having trouble with your Harken furler. It looks like you got it straightened out before we got the news. Please feel free to contact Harken Technical Service directly if you need anything else.
Jim Bourne
Harken Yacht Equipment
HarkenTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 11:57   #9

Wow, thanks, Jim - great vendor support! The problem turned out to be simple and the sailing equivalent of PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). Dropping the basket made the fix easy... and I'm sure I won't let the furling line fly again. Sailing is one lesson at a time...

Cheers!
Steve

Tags
furler, Harken