Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 01:50   #1

Two Poles on same halyard

I'm rigning two head sails for trades. Any suggestions on how to use same halyard for lifting both poles. I'm only having one pole halyard.
Thx. Robert
amarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:30   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Two Poles on same halyard

What kind of boat?

Two halyards (or topping lifts) is the better solution, but try a briddle to the single halyard. Its likely going to want to pull the pole ends together so you may need downhauls too.

Spare halyards are always a good thing. I suggest looking at rigging a second one.

You may get some ideas from the thread below. See Maxinout's rig.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=191991
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 13:29   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Are you talking about the topping lift (raising outboard end of poles) or the tackle which moves the inboard ends up and down the track?

Jim
Old 12-10-2017, 14:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Having done nearly 2,000 miles running wing and wing DDW at one stretch, think dual headsails aren't really needed. Guess if you are going to use sheet to tiller for self steering they may have a purpose. Personally wouldn't waste the time, money and effort as a poled out headsail and main work just as well.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 15:15   #5

Jim- Yes I´m talking about topping lift. I only have one topping lift. The only solution as I see it is two bridles on one topping lift.
Old 12-10-2017, 16:29   #6

Well, I kinda go along with rover on this one. Unless you intend to use sheet to tiller steering with two headsails, you don't really need two poles. We've done lots of downwind miles with one pole to windward, other jib unsupported, sheeted as far outboard as is possible, main either reefed very flat and centered or completely down. Works well, less hardware and expense and complication (until you need to gybe, then it is more work).

With two poles and a bridle, I too think that in lighter airs the poles would tend to be pullled forward. If you rigged after guys on both poles, that would help avoid this, and all might well work out.

I'd suggest that you have a trial run with two sails, one pole, and see how it works on your boat.

Jim

PS How are you planning on hoisting the second jib?
Old 13-10-2017, 01:22   #7

Jim- we are shorthanded and I do not want to mess with main sail in deep courses. I plan to hoist the second jib on the same halyard as the first one. Just loop it around with a peace of dynama. I will try to see how it works with one pole out and the second one unsupported. Thx for advice.
Old 13-10-2017, 01:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarf View Post
Jim- we are shorthanded and I do not want to mess with main sail in deep courses. I plan to hoist the second jib on the same halyard as the first one. Just loop it around with a peace of dynama. I will try to see how it works with one pole out and the second one unsupported. Thx for advice.
AAhhhh, a further question I should have asked: are there furlers involved? A furler can help or hinder depending upon how you deploy the second jib.

I don't sail shorthanded... I've got Ann! And a bloody big main, so I understand the urge to not use it, but it provides so much of the drive that we usually use it on this boat. With swept back spreaders you can't get the main out really far, but it all seems to work wing and wing pretty well. For angles between ~130 and ~90 apparent we will sometimes add the Solent to leeward, genoa poled to windward. Adds about 250 sq ft to the plan, and seems to help in those angles.

Jim
Old 13-10-2017, 02:59   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Simplest & best solution, use 2 halyards, & 2 topping lifts. Sheave boxes, or halyard tangs are cheap & easy to install. Some versions even when the mast is still up.

If you're dead set on 1 topping lift only, attach 2 block & tackles to it, & connect each tackle to a seperate pole. With the adjusting line on the tackle led back to the mast to a cleat set at about chest height, or a bit higher.

However such a rig will be more expensive then adding a 2nd topping lift, & more complex to handle when things get wild in terms of the boat's motion, or wind speed.

If you want the ultimate in simplicity for hanging a second topping lift, look at Colligo Marine's "Cheeky Tangs". One bolt & you're done.
Though internal halyards (& topping lifts) are preferable for a number of reasons.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard