Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 20:08   #1

Boat: 1979 Pearson 32
Track Car Blocks and Cleats

Hi All -

I need to replace the blocks on my genoa car-tracks. Right now the cars have a eye-strap that can be moved on the track, and attached to that eye strap is a swivel block which leads the genoa sheet to the winch. The winch is cleated with a jam cleat.

It occured to me that there are also sorts of hardware incorporating the block and cleat and car, or some variation there of - so I am looking at:

1. A car that has an integral block rather than a strap I attached a block to.

OR

2. A swivel block with an integral cam cleat. two issues here - first, is it OK to have the cleat in front of the winch, instead of after the winch? The jib is setup this way since theoretically i am the winch and the cleat is between me and the sail. second, the swivel blocks I have seen appear to be oriented where ths swivel shackle would be attached to something ABOVE the block, not below it like a track. Would it function 'upside down' under tension?

3. A car with an integral block and cam-cleat - does this exist to anyones knowledge?

Thanks!

Sandy
sandycohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 20:25   #2

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I have seen the cars b4 with the block and cleat on them but from what I remember they are light duty not something for a travler or sheet. I beleive you should look at riggingonly.com

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 20:44   #3

If the cleat is in front of the winch, how do you release the cleat when the sheet is wrapped on the winch? For example if you just want to sheet out a little... Seems to me you'd have to take the sheet off the winch and you'd end up sheeting by hand, unless I'm missing something... You'll lose the control of sheeting out under tension with the winch. Plus it would be dangerous if you need to sheet out suddenly and the sheet is on the winch.

Maybe I'm missing the point here?
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 01:28   #4

Boat: Swan 56
It's hard to understand what you mean without a photo or 2, but here goes

Option 1 would be the conventional way to do things

Cam cleat on a block would work on a small boat, but would probably be better if you had the cleat on the deck, rather than integral with the block. (especially if you had a 2:1 purchase on the headsail - this set up is v. common on sports boats).

But if you have winches already why change the setup? Also, if the rope is on the winch, why do you need a camcleat between it and the block?

I guess the real question is why do you need to change?
If it's because the blocks are shot - replace the blocks
If it is because the car is shot - replace the car, or go for an integrated car/block
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 01:55   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Oh I think I know what you are asking now, You want the cam cleat before the winch so that you can remove the line and use the winch for other things. Am I right?

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 05:17   #6

Bring your check book.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 07:21   #7

Boat: 1979 Hunter 37 cutter
I really, really like my Garhauer car setup. I can move the ball bearing car from the cockpit, cleat it off whe I 'm happy with the location. They come in 3 sizes . I have used the smallest on my s-2 7.9's 1''track and raced on Jeanneau 36 with one of the bigger sizes. garhauermarine.com
Old 29-01-2010, 09:41   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Sandy,

See Garhauer Marine Hardware -653045

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleats