Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 17:20   #1

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
Torn Genoa -

So pulled out of the slip to head out for an overnight trip up to Dana Point. Everything was good...until a weird gust of wind whipped my Genoa in a strange way (two of us were left staring in disbelief at what happened). Anyway, the sail tore between two panels, about 4' along the leech right where it snapped at the spreader.

Question: how hard is it to repair a tear like that. Called a local loft and spoke with them. They quoted $80 to $100, so they are an option for sure. Being a do-it-myself type though, my brain wanders to stitching the rip up at home.

Anyone fix their own here?
Old 27-03-2014, 17:30   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Torn Genoa -

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
So pulled out of the slip to head out for an overnight trip up to Dana Point. Everything was good...until a weird gust of wind whipped my Genoa in a strange way (two of us were left staring in disbelief at what happened). Anyway, the sail tore between two panels, about 4' along the leech right where it snapped at the spreader.

Question: how hard is it to repair a tear like that. Called a local loft and spoke with them. They quoted $80 to $100, so they are an option for sure. Being a do-it-myself type though, my brain wanders to stitching the rip up at home.

I have hand repaired several sails over the years. Though never as well as a professional would. I only did this on inland boats Dinghies/Beach Cats. I would prefer a Pro repaired sails on anything I was taking off shore.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 17:57   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

While you can mend it yourself, if the fabric is so old that it tore within a panel, such a mend will be short lived due to the UV degradation to the cloth. If you take a "lead" pencil with a point on it, and try to poke it through the cloth, if you succeed, the cloth has had it. You should not be able to yank on it an tear it, either. May not be worth even a temporary patch. However, if the point of the pencil will not penetrate the cloth, you're good to go with your patching.

Ann
Old 27-03-2014, 18:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
While you can mend it yourself, if the fabric is so old that it tore within a panel, such a mend will be short lived due to the UV degradation to the cloth. If you take a "lead" pencil with a point on it, and try to poke it through the cloth, if you succeed, the cloth has had it. You should not be able to yank on it an tear it, either. May not be worth even a temporary patch. However, if the point of the pencil will not penetrate the cloth, you're good to go with your patching.

Ann
Thank you for this! I have the sail in the garage, so will have an answer in about 10 minutes.
Old 27-03-2014, 18:33   #5

Okay, nowhere could I get the sharpened pencil to perforate the cloth. The tear is lengthwise along the leech. This is the part that has been exposed to UV while furled, so I was concerned. When I spoke with the loft, they said they would inspect it before conducting any repairs.

If they come back with any "life left" above 50%, I will have it mended and then use it for only light wind days. It is a 155% Genoa and it starts to become a bit of a handful in anything above about 12 knots of wind.
Old 27-03-2014, 18:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

I think the opinion of a reputable loft is worth consideration as far as how much to invest in the sail you have that is torn. It seems odd to have ripped the way it did in the first place so as to call the question. Evaluation of the entire sail is worth the effort and small fee to have it looked at. There may be options but without anyone here really seeing it there can be no real answer.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 18:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I think the opinion of a reputable loft is worth consideration as far as how much to invest in the sail you have that is torn. It seems odd to have ripped the way it did in the first place so as to call the question. Evaluation of the entire sail is worth the effort and small fee to have it looked at. There may be options but without anyone here really seeing it there can be no real answer.
Agreed. It is headed to the loft tomorrow.
Old 27-03-2014, 18:58   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

If they are quoting $80-$100 its a very easy repair and you could do it yourself.

I would get a spare bit of sail cloth and glue it using contact cement over the slash. I doubt you would need to stitch it as well, but if you do it may be best to just do the corners so there is plenty of stretch.

Repairing can take a while and be a pain in the thumb, but think of drinking $100 worth of beer you've saved!

And you will feel like a salty old dog. Quick have a shower.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 20:36   #9

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I installed spreader boots after similar damage. Also reinforced my sail at the previous tear point.
Old 29-03-2014, 04:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Sounds like the spreader caught it. I wouldn't repair it yourself unless you own a commercial or sail rite machine. It may need a repair and a spreader patch. Also make sure your spreader ends are well covered. If it was not caused by the spreader but general flapping then the cloth would be on the way out.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 04:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Bummer Daddyo!

Well... sounds like you have the root cause of this down.... Yep... The sacrificial sunbrella panel... while you can't save what's damaged, Maybe you can keep the leech damage and extend the life of the sail by reinforcing it with a cover... I personally would go with a repair if you've got lots of life in the rest of the sail.... UNFORTUNATELY... this is an area where sail repair will make more sense for a professional to do it right... You'll get better by your 4th or 5th similar repair though! Price getting to the fence??? Go take a trip to Minney's, and see what they got!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 07:54   #12

Headed to Ullman Loft this morning. Will let them evaluate thoroughly. Am stuck on the boat (not a negative) at the moment...Ironman today here in Oceanside.

Yes, all signs point to the spreader as originally thought. I will be headed up the mast next week with some fresh new spreader boots. It looks like there is something sharp up there, though I cannot be totally sure until hands are on it. We are not sailing for a few weeks (killing me!), so this is the perfect time to give some love.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Headed to Ullman Loft this morning. Will let them evaluate thoroughly. Am stuck on the boat (not a negative) at the moment...Ironman today here in Oceanside.

Yes, all signs point to the spreader as originally thought. I will be headed up the mast next week with some fresh new spreader boots. It looks like there is something sharp up there, though I cannot be totally sure until hands are on it. We are not sailing for a few weeks (killing me!), so this is the perfect time to give some love.
DO NOT... miss the marathon, baseball, football, hockey, concert, festival, etc... traffic isolation events in CA!!!

Minney's will have spreader boots too... I remember $2.50 ea...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:18   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

While you are aloft, run you hands over the shrouds and make sure there are no meat-hooks. If spreader boots fit that is a good add. Rigging tape will make the installation easy and cover places that the boots might not.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa