Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 23:59   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Toe Rail Corroding a little.

My 40ft Fglass Yacht has an aluminum toe rail, as do most. The boat is 28 years old.
At a few points around the rail there has been some corrosion. It seems to be accruing where water may be sitting on the deck, near the drains, not a big deal at the moments but I was thinking it might be a good idea to put some sacrificial anodes onto the rail.
Does anyone have experience with this sought of problem?
Note that the boat is on a swing mooring and obviously not hooked up to shore power.

This is a general shot showing what the toe rail looks like. Unfortunately I don't have a shot of the corrosion yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toe Rail2.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	48497
Old 19-10-2012, 00:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Toe Rail Corroding a little.

It sounds like poultice corrosion, which occurs when standing water is in contact with bare aluminium, typically because of a fabric, dirt, or other much holds the water there. But it is also pretty common in the bottom of fuel tanks, and as you have discovered in places where water collects.

There really isn't much you can do, and anodes won't help at all. This is a chemical attack, not an electrical one. The only thing you can really do is to try and ballast the boat so the water drains, add new weep holes, have the entire toe rail re-anodized, or replace it with a freshly anodized rail.

There are some spot anodizers available, but I have no experience with them, and can't comment on how they would work, or the problems with using them. A local machine shop may be able to privide some insight however.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 02:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

One of the big problems with aluminium toe rails is that there are often large amounts of SS attached to a small amount of aluminium. With some moisture it leads to the potential for galvanic corrosion which I think is the most probable cause.
Poultice corrosion is a form of crevice corrosion and requires an absence of oxygen. This is not commonly seen in this situation as the water will provide plenty of oxygen, but it is a possibility as Greg says if there is a lot of dirt accumulation, creating an oxygen free layer.

The solution to two above causes of corrosion are very different, so some more pictures would help in making a more definitive diagnosis and suggesting a remedy.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 03:09   #4

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Maybe time for replacement with stainless or rubber?
Old 19-10-2012, 15:14   #5

I will post some pics but will not be onboard until next Friday.
Thanks for the coments. I do have slight drainage issues around the rail so may have to look at making some extra drain holes where its needed.
Thanks for the advice.
SurferShane
I shudder to think what replacing it would cost? Would another option be to grind it out and then use a mig welder to build it back up?
Old 19-10-2012, 22:19   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
I will post some pics but will not be onboard until next Friday.
Thanks for the coments. I do have slight drainage issues around the rail so may have to look at making some extra drain holes where its needed.
Thanks for the advice.
SurferShane
I shudder to think what replacing it would cost? Would another option be to grind it out and then use a mig welder to build it back up?
Welding in situ might be pretty hard on the f/g under it!

Without seeing the extent of the damage it's hard to say, but I had similar issues on our previous boat. The damage was cosmetic, so I filled and faired with epoxy and some sort of thickener (don't remember), then found some paint that simulated the kinda tarnished anodizing and it didn't look too bad. Had to remember not to put a shackle or snatch block on those spots, tho'!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-10-2012, 22:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Figure replacing a side would run about $30/running foot. Plus the installation costs. But it has been a while since I looked at buying toe rail extrusions.

A welded repair really requires the existing rail to be removed, because welding that close to fiberglass is a very tricky problem, and one slip of the welder and now you have crystallized fiberglass that has to be cut out and repaired. Once you remove it, you might as well just re-anodize it. The hard work has already been done.

Frankly the other option is to just leave it. If it is poltice corrosion, it doesn't really spread beyond the localized area where the water is collecting, so other than the fact it looks rough, it won't really do much damage to the rest of the boat.

If the corrosion is more than just superficial and is significantly weakening the structure of the rail, you may be able to remove it , and weld in a splice of fresh aluminium where the damaged section already is.

Old 20-10-2012, 00:13   #8

I am shore it’s not structural. If it’s not likely to spread then I will probably leave it or use a filer on it? .
Regarding the costs of replacing it. Fondly enough I do know what it cost to replace about 3m of toe rail on a 1 week old Hanze 35. $2065 if I remember correctly. But that’s another embarrassing story.
Old 20-10-2012, 00:16   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

These are 30 YO toerails. And this is what happens to them once they loose their coating and have SS screws holding them down. I had to grind the heads off and drive them thru. Some spots I could see day light thru. I ended up sealing the hull to deck joint and putting a cap rail over that. Now the boat is better then new.

See my blog......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3867.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	48519   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4116.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	48520  

Old 20-10-2012, 03:45   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Thread a chamois, or other absorbent rag, through the slots (leading overboard) of the toe rail, at the locations where water accumulates on the deck. This helps wick the standing water overboard.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 03:07   #11

Got a rough pic of the toe rail yesterday. Sorry about the quality.

Name:	Toe rail croped.jpg
Views:	2105
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	48888
Old 28-10-2012, 07:35   #12

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Thread a chamois, or other absorbent rag, through the slots (leading overboard) of the toe rail, at the locations where water accumulates on the deck. This helps wick the standing water overboard.
KIS
Blue's drains are inboard of the teak toerail, and trap a small amount on water.
Wrapped a piece of chamois around a 2 oz fishing weight, layed it in the wet spot, --and problem solved.
Old 28-10-2012, 11:51   #13
Marine Service Provider

Hoohaa,

I don't see anything there that looks like something I would even worry about. The weight idea is great to prevent more damage, but that's as far as I would take it.

Old 26-04-2016, 02:09   #14

Thought I would update this post.
The corrosion is getting a little worse in some places. I was wondering if I could attach some anodes to it and if so, what type of anode would it need to be?

Jeff
Old 26-04-2016, 03:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Toe Rail Corroding a little.

I had that problem a few years back.. only happened when wet.. turned out I had a crack in the coating on the live wire to the nav lights on the pulpit and current was leeching every time water drops created the link.. rain, waves and the like.. check for stray current.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote