Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 06:27   #1

Time to replace genoa?

Curious to hear thoughts on my 130% genoa. The pic below shows an extreme example of what I'm talking about but I can never really get the leech to be tight on any point of sail. Pic below is from this past weekend. Poled out, sailing dead downwind in 7-10kts.

Is this a repair job? Or will it be worth it to buy a new genoa?

Thanks in advance for any tips/info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	155469  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Time to replace genoa?

Difficult to tell off-wind. Any sail, or a barn door for that matter, works effectively dead downwind - it's just projected area. The shape that you are paying for, and what is lost due to stretch, is the wing shape when it is strapped-in going to weather.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:42   #3

Good point. Here's a shot of the same sail on pretty much a beam reach. 10kts wind. It's tougher to see what I'm talking about, and actually looks pretty good from this angle though... I might have to snap another shot from the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	155472  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:44   #4

To your point... the loose leech appears worst when I'm headed upwind. Just don't have a shot of it.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:02   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
To your point... the loose leech appears worst when I'm headed upwind. Just don't have a shot of it.

Do you move your genoa leads to the correct position to close the leach? In my local area I'd say 90+% of the "cruising" boats never move the cars to close the leach. All of them have leach flutter at some point of sail, that accelerates the loss of shape.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:07   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Why replace it on a cruising boat? Run it till it dies.

It pains me when the boats I race on spend big bucks on a new high-tech sail because of shape. I understand the reasoning, but their retired sails are in much better shape than my sails!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:12   #7

Thanks Sailmonkey. We did eventually slide them forward to try to get the leech straightened out, but by then the wind was pretty fickle. Sounds like I should play around with the cars in more wind and see if I can get the flutter out.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

It pains me when the boats I race on spend big bucks on a new high-tech sail because of shape. I understand the reasoning, but their retired sails are in much better shape than my sails!
It may be a big, fat cruising boat, but it's still fun to go fast... just want to make sure I'm not running around with a dead sail... which it doesn't sound like I am now.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Hard to say, as others have said, if we can't see it being used upwind, but what jumps out at me from this are the wrinkles in the luff -- you need to sort out forestay and halyard tension before making any conclusions about your sail.

That being said, if you even think about needing a new sail, you undoubtedly do. Best money you can spend on a boat
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:32   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Have the same problem with my genoa. No matter how far the cars are moved forward, the leach is always loose unless I sheet it so it's basically touching the deck.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:43   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

Because sailing with bags sucks on any point but downwind.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:46   #12

Boat: Catalina 320

I find older genny's usually require a little more tension on the leech line to stop flutter when close hauled. I usually tension up till it starts to hook then ease until flat but doesn't flutter.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51   #13

I don't believe my sail even has leech line...
Old 06-09-2017, 07:53   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

When were you thinking of order this new sail? because in about a week every US sail maker is going to be rather busy for the rest of the year. You have had one hurricane, another one just about to flatten most of Florida and the third building as a TS out in the Atlantic.

Will there still be any big winter discounts available this year after hurricane season?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hard to say, as others have said, if we can't see it being used upwind, but what jumps out at me from this are the wrinkles in the luff -- you need to sort out forestay and halyard tension before making any conclusions about your sail.

That being said, if you even think about needing a new sail, you undoubtedly do. Best money you can spend on a boat
Thanks Dockhead. I definitely need to tighten my forestay. That's quite clear to me from the pics now..

Tags
Genoa