Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 02:03   #91
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: The Science of Soggy Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
No No, I hear you. Everyone has an opinion about how everything has to be done perfectly. Everything is done with a surveyor and the next buyer in mind and everything has to be practical.

It's annoying.

Sometimes it's just all about getting the boat working to a point to where you can sail it somewhere and go.

Yes! - that'll be called the real world Something to bear in mind for the unintiated when it comes to looking at buying a boat - s/h.....or new .

Quote:
I used this analogy the other day with my girlfriend.
Wotcha do? bought her a tin of emulsion paint for Xmas? and said "slap a coat or 2 on" - as no one will notice the difference and saves a lot of time instead of fiddling around with multi coloured warpaint for a couple of hours before heading into public view .

When do you get out of hospital? .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 05:32   #92

Boat: Looking for a new boat
What Should I Do

Okay so I found one little patch of delamination under a stanchion where the balsa was more like soup. I cut it out but found the wood around it, although still bonded to the skins, was wet, so I had nothing for my epoxy and new core to stick to. I ended up cutting out almost a foot by two feet in order to get to wood dry enough to bond too.

But now as I meter around the area I find it is pretty wet too but definitely not delaminated. Should I cut this out and replace it now that I have all of my deck fittings up or should I just put it to bed and not worry about it? I hate choices like this.

I know if I ever have to sell the boat I will have to replace it but am not really in a position now where I have the time, money, or energy to cut up massive sections of my deck.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 12:23   #93

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: The Science of Soggy Decks

Try using the acitone to dry out the water and then see what you have, you may need to use some warm air to help it dry but no sparks or it will blow up, better to have a few days of sun providing warmth. After it drys see how the wood is. Take your time it will payoff in the long run. Good luck.