Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2008, 08:22   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
The Bitter End of your Anchor Rode?

I've recently spooled out all of my anchor rode and found that the bitter end is not attached to anything.
Can anyone give me examples (pictures would be great) of how and where yours is attached to the boat hull.
Obviously I need to attach it but could certainly use some advice.
Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 08:32   #2
Eternal Member

Really doesn't matter too much where it's attached, just that it IS attached (to prevent you inadvertently losing the whole shebang overside).

Also important, if you have a chain rode, is to have a length of nylon or poly line at the bitter end, long enough to reach up thru the hawsepipe so you could cut it from on deck in an emergency.

Install a padeye somewhere in the anchor rode locker...that should be sufficient.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 09:02   #3

Good Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Also important, if you have a chain rode, is to have a length of nylon or poly line at the bitter end, long enough to reach up thru the hawsepipe so you could cut it from on deck in an emergency.

Bill
This may have been a subtlety I could have missed.
Thanks.
Old 19-10-2008, 13:37   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Really doesn't matter too much where it's attached, just that it IS attached (to prevent you inadvertently losing the whole shebang overside).

Install a padeye somewhere in the anchor rode locker...that should be sufficient.

Bill
If I may add! Be sure the padeye, if ripped out, will not compromise the integrity of the hull.
Old 19-10-2008, 14:05   #5

I just put a stopper at the end big enough to not fit through the hawserpipe.
Old 19-10-2008, 15:42   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
I just put a stopper at the end big enough to not fit through the hawserpipe.
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I have a large shackle at my bitter end. As well the last 10' is dyed red.
Old 19-10-2008, 22:24   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
The bitter end of an all chain anchor rode should be attached to the hull or strong point with a “weak link” piece of line that is sized to break before doing damage to the attachment point and …most importantly….can be easily cut away in an emergency

The weak link line should be able to hold a run-away anchor, when it comes up hard at the end…… but should break if lets say a barge drifted down upon you at night, pinning you and your only option was to run out the chain to get free.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 22:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Block of timber with a hole drilled through the middle. Warp through the hole and tie big knot.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 10:51   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Extemp,
I always thought this subject to be rather simple, just tie or bolt the end of your rode to something substantial. Now I see that something substantial might be pulled free and it could be an integral part of your boat. I also see that if it is chain and the last 10 or 20 feet are not line then there is no way to cut free in case you must. Since you've gotten so many thoughtful responses concerning what to do in this situation I have to thank you for bringing it up.
Thanks again.
Kind regards,
JohnL
P. S. I've heard a lot of stories about folks who have let all their rode out to find that it was not tied to anything and lost all of it over the bow. Some folks were able to recover it with a grapling hook but some lost it all. Very embarrasing.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 11:27   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Aboard our boat we have a thimble spliced into the bitter end of the anchor rodes that allows more line to be shackled on if necessary. To secure the rode to the yacht, we have a 1/8" retaining line with a small diameter eye spliced in the loose end secured to a pad-eye on the wall of the chain-locker . The eye of this retaining line is passed through the thimble on the rode and a small diameter teak toggle longer than the thimble is wide, with an attached "pull cord", is pressed in place through the eye. With this, the retaining line cannot be pulled back through the thimble but a snatch on the pull-cord pops the toggle out of the retaining line eye and releases the rode. There are no mechanical fasterers to fail or cutting implements needed. To "bouy" the rode, we also have an "I" shaped foam float with a light line wrapped around the middle. If we need to "ditch" the rode, the bitter end of the line around this float can be fasted to the thimble, the toggle pulled, and the whole business cast off. As the rode settles to the bottom, the float rotates, releasing "leader" line, until it is directly on the surface above the gear, where all can later be retreaved.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 11:34   #11

Ditto that.........

Quote:

Bill
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 11:54   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I let my anchor out. I open the locker lid, so I can watch what is happening. Inside the lid is the felt pen marking to indicate what color plastic tie indicates how much chain is going out. At the end is a 5/16, or 1/4 line attatched to a pad eye. It is long enough to come up through the deck also.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 12:44   #13

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Block of timber with a hole drilled through the middle. Warp through the hole and tie big knot.
That's what I use -- simple and effective.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 15:29   #14

Along the same lines as the block of wood trick, we have a stainless steel ring tied to the bitter end of the short rope bit attached to the all chain cable, the ring being big enough not to fit through the chain pipe.

As in our case there is only a short distance between windlass gypsy and the chain pipe the last couple of metres of chain is painted white (epoxy undercoat lasts well) so that there is a warning of the end so's we don't run the short rope bit out onto the gypsy creating a recovery hassle getting the heavy chain back onto it in deep water or if loaded up by the boat surging back.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 17:35   #15

Excellent

Some really good insights.
Thanks all.

Extemp.

Tags
anchor, rode