Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2018, 01:52   #31

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Tensioning a staysail stay

Here’s an option for stays up to 12m long (and longer, if less tension is OK). Simpler than a Highfield lever and less likely to come open. https://www.cruisingworld.com/forestay-solutions for a description and http://swageturn.com/shop/hook-lever/ to buy. Considering it for our cat for an inner forestay for storm jib, even though the stay is 16.5 m.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 14:12   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Here’s an option for stays up to 12m long (and longer, if less tension is OK). Simpler than a Highfield lever and less likely to come open. https://www.cruisingworld.com/forestay-solutions for a description and http://swageturn.com/shop/hook-lever/ to buy. Considering it for our cat for an inner forestay for storm jib, even though the stay is 16.5 m.

That’s a very elegant looking bit of equipment.

As an aside, I read the article and I don’t actually agree with many of the assertions made by the rigger about the highfield lever. Much of what he describes of the shortfalls of the device don’t apply to my levers.

But, that aside, the lever does look to be a neat solution. Not sure how it would take the torque of a furler over time.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:21   #33

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
I've put a double Wichard padeye on my foredeck (with appropriate under-deck reinforcement) just aft of the anchor winch for a staysail.

I intend to fly a staysail on a continuous line furler with a 6mm double dyneema halyard. I will also be making a 7mm Dux inner forestay so that I can hank on a storm sail or another staysail if I choose. I will be fitting 7mm Dux running backs with 2:1 6mm dyneema tails (with cover at the end) with low friction rings, through a jammer, to a winch. I have a Dux B&R rig with backstay & swept spreaders. The inner forestay goes to the upper spreaders and will be tensioned with 4:1 6mm dyneema and low friction rings. I can route the inner forestay 4:1 dyneema to a mast or cockpit winch if more tension is required.

The furler also gets used for the Code 0 on a bow sprit.
Hi Craig
I already have such (or very similar) system on my yacht. I used 10mm Dux as the inner stay as it is much easier to handle, and stronger, particularly for hanging on a storm sail. Incidentally, are you going to use Dynex "soft shackles" with the storm sail?
The jib has 12mm Dux sewn into the luff so it can be either used as a stay when furled on the continuous furler or when unfurled. There is a Fracnor swivel which connects the stay-sail halyard to the jib's head for furling purposes, or I can attach it to a stand-alone stay instead of the jib. The tack is tensioned via friction rings and its line is routed aft to the forward cockpit winch and jammer.
All of this was suggested to me by the rigger in Port Douglas, a proponent of the use of dyneema.
It simply works. Cheers
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail