Thanks to suggestions here and from the Top Hat forum, I satisfactorily finished the repairs
to my boom. It has been working well, and despite my tardiness with reporting back, I think it worthwhile to give this feedback.
I cut the end off the boom, the topping lift
end, to (a) get inside the boom to remove the seized nut of the outhaul track and allow access for putting new nuts on and (b) clean up the end plug
and reuse it. After cleaning
the corrosion off the end plug
and drilling out the corroded-in-place nut, I bolted on a piece of aluminium stock on which to attach the topping lift. Then I covered the mating surface with Tefgel and tapped it back on. The bolts were also coated with Tefgel.
The outhaul track I put green plastic tape along where it touched the aluminium and put in several bolts, coated with Tefgel, to replace the original one bolt.
At the gooseneck end, I covered the stainless steel
touching surfaces with insulating plastic tape to hinder the galvanic corrosion.
Since I did not have the thick stock suggested by Delancey to cut a thread in, I tried what I had, thinner stuff, and it worked. What did not work was the double-sided foam tape. It was supposed to lightly hold the nuts in place while I carefully poked the stock into the boom and pushed the bolts through from the outside and gently caught the nuts on the first bit of thread on the bolt. Not sticky enough. At least it stops direct contact of stainless steel
and aluminium so less galvanic corrosion. Awkward holding the nuts in place up the tube while I put the bolts through. Grrr! Got there eventually. Seemed very strong.
With the boom vang
, I measured the size of holes in the boom and got stainless steel rivets which fitted. Some of the old rivets were too small and so were falling out. The new ones, coated with Tefgel, held securely.
It has been over a year since I finished the repair and have had no problems with the repairs
neither have I seen any sign of the white corrosion, the galvanic corrosion, that was so obvious before. The finished boom is pretty. Pretty ugly. But it is working efficiently and is way stronger than what it was. Unlikely to fall off when I am out at sea. That will do me for now.
The story of the boom can also bee seen at: https://mildadventurer.wordpress.com...ring-the-boom/