Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 15:29   #1

Boat: 380 Catalina
Storm Stay Sail for 380 Catalina

Im looking to put a storm stay sail on my 380 Catalina and would like any input the group may have. i will need to open up and reinforce the point at the mast and will place a padeye just aft of the anchor locker. Has anyone done this before and how much beefing up will i need to do?
Thanks Dan
svgertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 21:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Storm stay sail for 380 Catalina

The Pad eye will need some reinforcing, either L brackets down the anchor locker bulkhead or a internal stay down to a bulkhead further back.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 03:55   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
I have been toying with using dynex dux for a removable forestay together with soft hanks on the sail. Light weight and easy to tie back to the mast without banging about and chafing. Probably easiest to set it up with a strong block and tackle lead to a winch. You will maybe also need some running backstays.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08   #4

Boat: 380 Catalina

Thanks Guys, For for your responses, I need to decide how high i should go with the halyard sheeve/attachment mast attachment. What hardware is available ie maybe a folding padeye for my deck/tack attachment and what hardware i can use to strenghten it with down below. I think the dynex dux is probably the way to go for thr stay. Any sources appreciated. Dan
svgertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:15   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

This is probably a better place for your query:
| Greatest boats on the water…
Old 11-06-2013, 18:24   #6

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Storm Stay Sail for 380 Catalina

have you considered this?... ATN Sailing Equipment | The Gale Sail | Easy Handling Storm Jib

I put a removable inner forestay on my Sabre 38..chose a Solent rig to avoid running backstays, and had a hank-on staysail made.. this has been used in "anger" once, and tbh, given that offshore, I would be rigging this in heavy seas and high winds, I think the above would have been a better bet, removing the need to set the inner forestay, and saved a bunch.

adding a 3rd reef to my new main was, however the best thing I could ever have done...
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, sail