Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 12:17   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Storm jib, how to rig?

I have a storm jib that came with the boat. It has hanks and a steel wire luff. I rigged it on the forestay once to try it out when the boat had an exposed forestay but now I have a furler and I can no longer hank on the storm jib. Can I still use this? Since it has a steel wire luff can I just hoist it with the spinnaker pole lift like a cutter sail?
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 04:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Storm jib, how to rig?

Depends on how much tension you can put on your lift. If you can't get the same tension that your forestay has, then it'll sag off to leeward. Not the end of the world, but not great. Just know that whatever you use as a halyard will have lots more strain on it with the sail set flying that way, since it has not only to pull a sail tight and hold it, but to counter the strain of being pulled to the side.
A better option is to have a removable inner forestay. That topic has been flogged threadbare on this forum, to the point where I think nothing more can be added to it. You just have to sift through the threads and draw your own conclusions about how to set it up.
Old 27-09-2017, 02:23   #3

Re: Storm jib, how to rig?

The alternative is to use or make a storm sleeve. ATN has one they call the "gale sail" or this Storm Sleeves.

Not ideal I guess, more fuss, more messing about, not an ideal position - but might be cheaper then a baby stay.
N1774 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, storm jib