Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 09:46   #1

Boat: Najad 405
Storm jib

Hi All,

I'm considering to buy a storm jib for my Najad 405 that is currently rigged with one forestay only (standard rigging from Najad). When talking with a few sailmakers I have got two opinions:
1) Those ones who say I should add a removable cutter stay that can be armed when needed and use it for the storm jib as well as a smaller jib that could be used together with a genoa or a code-zero
2) Those ones who say that I should use a storm jib for furled systems, i.e. a storm jib that will be hoisted around the furled genoa/jib in the forestay

Do you have any experience to share on this subject?

Thanks / Paolo

teipafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:07   #2

Boat: 73ŽULDB custom ketch
Re: Storm jib

Alternative 1 is of course the best solution, but pricey.
My boat is set up this way. Self tacking staysail on inner stay, hooked on, so easily
exchangeable with storm staysail. Big genoa on roller on outer stay.

There is also the alternative to get a storm jib that can be hoisted on the existing furler. Of course, you have to take down the genoa, but so what.

Your alternative 2 may be OK for coastal sailing, but for ocean passages, the chafe adds up.

MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:18   #3

Boat: Najad 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Alternative 1 is of course the best solution, but pricey.
My boat is set up this way. Self tacking staysail on inner stay, hooked on, so easily
exchangeable with storm staysail. Big genoa on roller on outer stay.

There is also the alternative to get a storm jib that can be hoisted on the existing furler. Of course, you have to take down the genoa, but so what.

Your alternative 2 may be OK for coastal sailing, but for ocean passages, the chafe adds up.
Thank you MartinR. What size is your boat? On my 40.5ft I don't have much space in the foredeck for an hooked-on inner stay, so it means that I should setup the inner stay first and then hoist the storm jib.
teipafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:27   #4

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

On our 45' monohull we had a removable inner stay that we used for a staysail and storm job, although we never had the SJ up in anger, just for practice. I never really liked the idea of a storm job that wraps around the furled headsail. In the sort of conditions where you need to use it would be very difficult to set up I think with the bow going up and down enormous amounts. Also the inner stay gets the storm jib back from the bow. We had an inmost furling main and with the SJ and mostly furled main (or trysail which we never used) it was a tidy rig.
Old 18-03-2019, 10:30   #5

Boat: 73ŽULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by teipafe View Post
Thank you MartinR. What size is your boat? On my 40.5ft I don't have much space in the foredeck for an hooked-on inner stay, so it means that I should setup the inner stay first and then hoist the storm jib.
73Žon deck, but extremely narrow, so manageable sails. My storm jib is 13sqm. In your case I would go for a storm jib heavy weather jib size with a luff rope for your furler. Then you have the advantage of being able to adjust its size to smaller to fit conditions. Once you have taken in one turn, there is no way the luff rope will tear out of the groove.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 11:09   #6

What I have... 39 foot boat...

Presumably fitted when she was converted from hanked headsails to furling prior to me buying her.

Removable 'slutter' stay which lands just aft of the windlass and below decks is secured to the chain locker bulkhead (1st pic) This stay is always set up prior to passage making. You may also need running backstays.

When you go from furler to storm jib you don't want to be doing the 'dance of death' on the foredeck. I still need to go frd but only to unlash the storm jib ready for hoisting which is a simple matter.

When going on a sea passage where I think storm sails may be required I hank on two storm jibs .. one above the other .... and secure them by marling hitching them.
Easy job changing the priority at sea.

I've told the story before about how it came about but I have three storm jibs... 150 sq foot/14sq.m (pre Fastnet), 100/9.3 (Bass Strait), and 50/4.6 (Cook Strait).... pic 2 shows the 150 being used together with the full headsail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2464 (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	188286   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020808.JPG (4).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	188287  

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 15:20   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, the only seamanlike solution is the inner stay. Taking down and securing a genoa under conditions that suggest the need for a storm jib, especially shorthanded, is a very risky proposition. Loss of the sail overboard, even if still attached at head and tack, will be all too easy, and can result in a life threatening task of recovery. Not a good idea at all...

The "Gale Sail" concept where the SJ is hoisted over the furled genoa looks so good in the glossy brochure... but I've yet to talk to anyone who has successfully used one in storm conditions. Keeping even a SJ sized sail under control whilst laboriously securing the strap "hanks" over the furled sail and its sheets and actually getting them to go up, all on a pitching bow and in 50 knots + of wind... well, I don't t think this is a good outlook either. It's interesting to note that we see them offered for sale now and then, and inevitably described as "never used in anger". Wonder why?

The idea of a Dyneema inner stay, perhaps only rigged when setting out on a passage, is so much more appealing to me, and it's not that hard to engineer. Has the advantage of actually being kinda useful in sub-storm conditions as pointed out by El Ping and others, and providing a safe and effective means of flying storm canvass. What's not to like?

Jim

Tags
jib, storm jib