Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Stopping Leaky Dodger Windows

A very nice dodger came with my boat when we bought it back in 2007. We've had a problem since we got her that the plastic windows in it leak along the bottom of the window where it is stitched to the bottom Sunbrella. Does anyone know how to stop these leaks? I've sprayed Thompsons Water Seal along the seam and it doesn't seem to make any difference. It runs down the plastic and comes right through the seams at the bottom.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:51   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: stopping leaky dodger windows

Just a thought, but it might pay be a touch cautious as to what you apply until you know that it wasn't going to do any damage to the windows, short or long term. In particular, compounds with solvents in them, & or that are petroleum based. As I'd imagine that some of them could weaken, or cloud the windows.

So it might make sense to hold off on re-sealing them until you talk to a professional, & or the folks who make the window material.
I say as much, because if you're like me, said project would be fairly high on my weekend chores list. As not being able to play with the boat sucks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Assuming the stitch holes have become enlarged, what ever you use will need to be UV resistant. But I don't know of anything besides brushing Scotchguard or better yet 303, over the stitching. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard -Fabric Protection for Sunbrella & More
Old 07-11-2014, 14:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is a product meant to paint the inside of tent seams to keep water out, it's clear but dries like a thin rubber. Can find it at camping stores or online I'm sure
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:33   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Stopping Leaky Dodger Windows

A64pilot's right on this. Also can use silicone glue on the outside of the stitches. It makes an unsightly mess, IMO, but will seal the holes. Also, FWIW, sunbrella stays waterproof only about 4-5 yrs. Over the years, seen many solutions, including painting it with latex base exterior house paint. Seals it right up.

Ann
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
A64pilot's right on this. Also can use silicone glue on ...
Silicone only works once; because nothing (including silicone) 'wants' to stick to it, or it's residue.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:52   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

At the bottom of the window, you should have a double seam. if the water is comming from between the window material and the fabric, the stitching has losened up or the threads have broken.. re-stitch it..
if the water is comming throu a stitch hole or throu a seam, the simpelest way to stop it is with wax.. many threads are wax coated for this problem, aloung with sliding throu the fabric easier when sewing, especially the larger threads, 124 and up..
you'll find the wax in the proper color of your fabric in a box of crayons.....

I've been called upon in the past to repair a dodger or bimini where the water is comming throu a seam and I do the fix with a box of crayons.. draw the crayon down the seam and the wax left will plug the holes..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

If the leak is in the stitching, a drop of superglue in each stitch hole works very nicely.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 00:39   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

My first thought when I saw the thread this morning was to simply use wax. Whether you rub it on or apply it via some other method. Including calling in McGuyver & creating a tool which can direct & regulate one drop of wax per hole at your whim.
The rubbing it on idea came from Filson's, as in their coats, hats & such... more or less, old school, cowboy oilskins. Only they use wax instead. That & Mr. Zog's Sex wax, that surfers use.

I do have a recipe for thinning silicone, as in the stuff which comes in painter's cartridges, to the point where you can paint it on. It was brewed up by a friend who's a material's scientist, & I gather that it works, but have yet to try it. If you get desperate...

Like I said, I'm real cautious about expensive plastics & solvents being in proximity to one another.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 00:59   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

303 will ruin the clear vinyl so protect your windows. Is it sunbrella around that area or is it chafe vinyl in that area? I have chafe vinyl at the base of my dodger and the to leading edge. So if yours is like mine then you can seal the seam with HH66.i use an airtist paint brush and run a line down the hem. For sunbrella you can use losse. Sailrite has a vid about this
https://sailrite.wordpress.com/tag/h...t-cover-seams/

Cheers

Tags
dodger, wind