Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 15:34   #1

Boat: Pearson 303
Standing rigging recommendations

I'm planning to have the standing rigging replaced on a Pearson 303. Any recommendations of companies to use to have it manufactured?
Beagle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:08   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Standing rigging recommendations

I would suggest asking a marine rigging company. There are 2 in my area but too far away for you .

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why don't you do it yourself. Buy the wire and Norseman/StaLok end fittings and go to town. Probably do it in a day or less and have truly reliable rigging at less cost than having a rigger do it those freaky swages.

Notice your from MN. SS rigging is probably good forever in freshwater. Do you really need to change the rigging????
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 17:52   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Since there is not much in the local area, I'll probably mail it over the Fall for next season. The rigging is 30 years old, and it's probably due for a change.
Old 01-06-2013, 18:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Why don't you do it yourself. Buy the wire and Norseman/StaLok end fittings and go to town. Probably do it in a day or less and have truly reliable rigging at less cost than having a rigger do it those freaky swages.

Notice your from MN. SS rigging is probably good forever in freshwater. Do you really need to change the rigging????
I've heard that SS can last 30-40!years up here, but as I'm taking it to the East coast next year, I'm going to change it. I got a rough estimate of about $1600.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle777 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Since there is not much in the local area, I'll probably mail it over the Fall for next season. The rigging is 30 years old, and it's probably due for a change.
I also have 30 year old rigging and my Rigger says its needs to be replaced? However the rigging is way over built for the boat and very heavy duty. Where do you go for expert advice?

Thanks, Burt
bsveine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 17:33   #7

Hi Burt,

I don't quite the know the right answer. Generally, I've heard that you replace the rigging around the 15 year mark, and even that can depend on how hard it was used and it environment. Since I've written this thread, I've also read that some riggings can go up to 40 years in freshwater environments. I think if there is doubt, then there is no doubt, and that is why I'm having mine changed out after 30 years...for the piece of mind.
Old 07-06-2013, 18:29   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Rigging is not something you want to screw around with in an aging 30'+ boat if you don't have the proper expertise. If you ever been in a boat that size that has lost it's mast in a decent wind, then you know how incredibly dangerous it is. The mast foot can crush a person down below, and whipping stays can maim someone in an instant. If you doubt your rig, have it inspected by a qualified professional.

Aging stainless steel has the unique property of looking fine from the outside but being corroded and weakened on the inside. You can't just eyeball it and say "Looks fine to me." You need to have an experienced rigger inspect it and determine what it's state is.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49   #9

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

IME, it's necessary to have the rigger inspect the mast, too. He discovered cracks in my mast, that could have resulted in the lower shrouds pulling out of it.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging