Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 08:10   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Standing on a Bosun's Chair

My climbing harness that I've been using instead of the Bosun's chair is a rock climber's harness. It provides a freedom of movement that could allow an agile person to mimic spiderman, but the thigh straps are too constricting. Of course, while rock climbing you are not remaining hung and working with tools. While rock climbing you are usually positioning your feet and hands in weight-bearing positions.

I originally purchased the rock climber's harness as my Bosun's chair, essentially a board in a sling, cut sharp at the back of my thighs. Considering the comments above, I'm thinking of simply adding some padding to my chair. The addition of steps near the masthead is a great idea, but that's a project that requires me aloft as well and for now, I'm just trying to refit my roller furling running rigging.

I'll not even try the "standing on the chair". It adds a complication that I rather not deal with, but I do like the foot loops of webbing with the "mast capture".

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll stay upright and simple.
Old 25-08-2015, 08:44   #17

Boat: Lafitte 44

I wear my harness but sit in the bosuns chair. I attach an alpine aider to stand on, and shift weight around once aloft. I usually attach it to my descender on my security line. That way I can adjust the height of the ladder separately from that of the chair.

http://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Step-.../dp/B002LC2Z2Q

Old 25-08-2015, 09:20   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Additional steps at the mast head are a wonderful thing. And you can make a harness for each foot and used Prussik knots to stand as well after you get up there but they would not be overly comfortable.

I just bought a much better padded climber's harness. I have another harness I used for search and rescue and on the boat for years but it had skinny straps and was not comfortable for longer times up. I borrowed one from Brion Toss but they are megabucks to buy.

So I researched and found one that is not as nice as the Toss one but which is much more comfortable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003J0XG5O/...140_TE_3p_dp_1 A Waldo harness. Much cheaper and it works for me.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 11:12   #19

Boat: Catana 471

I use an aider like this that I just clip to a masthead crane (spinnaker crane) with a carabiner when I get to the top. It's not the most comfortable thing to stand in/on, but it's not bad. It also lets you get higher than you can in just a harness, and you can always alternate standing and sitting if legs or feet are getting numb or tired.

I suppose you could do the same with a chair or anything else you wanted to stand on.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 11:33   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sure do like the the Bosun's Chari/Harness on the Top Climber. Very comfortable for hours if need be and the leg straps make it very secure. Always had problems of feeling like I was going to slide out of a bosun's chair. If there was a strap to prevent it, that usually caused a couple of octave rise in my voice if put to the test. The Top climber has the security of a harness with the comfort of a Bosun's chair.

Your solution sounds like it will work as long as the foot straps aren't so short you'll end up horizontal or inverted should you somehow end up hanging from the climbing harness.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 12:20   #21

Boat: Beneteau 393

have you looked at Mast Mate?

http://www.mastmate.com/

Several at our marina use these.

Personally, I pull my120 lb wife up in a Bosun's chair with no problems. She has been able to replace lights and wind instruments.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 17:17   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

So, I had a successful day! I came across a small pillow in our aft cabin with a duck embroidered on the cover. It fit perfectly within my bosun's chair and I went aloft in comfort. I exchanged my old wire rope with 10mm Endura and replaced two blocks for the run of my roller furling headsail.

All was well, but the real test came when I told Nancie how well the duck embroidered pillow worked as a rigging tool. She said, "great"! There's always a risk when I commandeer something pretty as a functional tool. This may be a risk that many men take; however, it was a good day for me!

Once again, thanks for all the great ideas and especially for the most simple added padding suggestion. So often the simplest answer does well. I might employ some of these other ideas in the future, but the little duck pillow was the quick and easy answer and far better & safer than taking a stand on the chair!
Old 25-08-2015, 17:36   #23

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I've been doing some refit at my masthead and I'm disappointed with the limited time that I can endure in my climbing harness or my bosun's chair. With either means I'm losing circulation in my legs over a span of about ten minutes.
Hudson,

See mastmate.com. The top two steps are at the same height, and rigid, so you can stand on them for a while. I've used one for years with success.

Best regards,
Jack
The Way is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 05:00   #24

There are different types of climbing harness. Look for a big wall or aid climbing harness. Much more padding, designed for long term hanging about.
A sport harness has the minimal amount of padding, designed for short routes and minimal dangling.
Alpine harness has no padding, just nylon webbing. Clothes provide the padding and once again not designed for long term hanging.
I've spent days in my big wall harness 24/7 sleeping on a portaledge.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 17:22   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

When my brother came up to help me, he had the same issue with his bosun's chair. the second time, we put a cushion in the bottom, and that made it more comfortable and did not compress his legs, etc any more.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 17:13   #26

Boat: Baba 40

I installed "alternating" folding steps on my mast starting about halfway between the spreaders and top, then two "equal" steps about 4' from the top. Works like a champ.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote